Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'll be watching future "big" games on the TV but as a season ticket holder at the Amex I don't think I can commit the time to also going to watch the women. Only so many hours in a week!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
On the back of a largely entertaining Women's World Cup (notwithstanding some awful refereeing and VAR deciaions) who here is now going to consider supporting our ladies team this coming domestic season?

Season tickets are ony £30 for adults and £10 for kids and me and the wife are going to get some this coming season as the games never clash with the mens first team. We went to 5 games last year and enjoyed the matches so we thought we'd get a season ticket as that covers all 11 matches.

There's been a major promotion of the ladies game during this summer's World Cup so we thought we'd take the plunge and go to the home games this season at Crawley to support our ladies in addition to the mens first team.

Anyone elso going to give this a go this season?

I enjoyed some of it, but think that the BBC were WELL over the top, 5 live in particular.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hilarious how so many people simultaneously say they didn't watch it and that the standard was awful :lolol:

Newsflash, there was some great football played. If England's goal against the US was actually Stephens swinging it out to March who played that cross for Murray to bang home, rather than Walsh to Mead to White we'd have been raving about it for weeks.

But no matter, people like what they like, and are quick to tell the rest if it's what they don't like. I enjoyed it very very much :thumbsup:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hilarious how so many people simultaneously say they didn't watch it and that the standard was awful :lolol:

Newsflash, there was some great football played. If England's goal against the US was actually Stephens swinging it out to March who played that cross for Murray to bang home, rather than Walsh to Mead to White we'd have been raving about it for weeks.

But no matter, people like what they like, and are quick to tell the rest if it's what they don't like. I enjoyed it very very much :thumbsup:

Some of the football was good. But again. Some basic stuff is being applauded as glorious football. And basic saves being bigged up so much you’d of though it was Gordon banks save being recreated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No, sorry.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No, sorry of no interest to me I’m afraid. Nothing to do with gender, just think the standard, particularly the goalkeeping, is poor!

If I wanted to watch sub standard football I could go to my local club, Gillingham!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
A NO! The women's game is improving but it will NEVER command the massive money that the male game attracts. Equal wages when the money income can pay you otherwise it is just a pleasant side show. Like Women's cricket.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Agree. And complaining about the amount of misplaced passes etc. Have they completely forgotten most of our performances last season already!?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
0c0b3c71dfa8584bfd114e3750157d82.jpg

Put it like this ... if we signed this player I would be tempted to go to some matches, even in Crawley, but I would have a nagging doubt that I may be in attendance for the incorrect reason.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Some of the football was good. But again. Some basic stuff is being applauded as glorious football. And basic saves being bigged up so much you’d of though it was Gordon banks save being recreated.

Really? I don't remember basic stuff being over celebrated all that much. And again, a bit pot kettle black considering the hyperbole over the Premier League in the build up to games such as Burnley v Huddersfield

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I will. I found it quite easy to take sides quickly (for example, anyone but USA to win). And as long as there is an interest from that
perspective it makes it reasonably interesting to watch.

Ok - so they did win - but the hope was there.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So the FA saying that some women’s games will become ‘double headers’ with men’s games, perhaps if the ladies played directly after an Albion win on a Saturday afternoon at the Amex they would get both a larger than average crowd AND everyone would be suitably boozed to give the girls a good atmosphere. Personally I am up for that idea, if you can stay in your seat.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Really? I don't remember basic stuff being over celebrated all that much. And again, a bit pot kettle black considering the hyperbole over the Premier League in the build up to games such as Burnley v Huddersfield

I never said that. I’m saying keepers are making basic saves and they’re being called wonderful saves. The standard is poor and it’s not called out. Bad passes are hardly being criticised.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?...Anyone elso going to give this a go this season?

There's really 2 different questions there.

1. WWC

Positives:
- The games have been mostly played in a good spirit with very little diving, simulation or cynical play
- Despite some howlers (e.g. Australia's 4th v Jamaica, Chile's 1st v Thailand), some of the goalkeeping has been impressive (e.g. Chile's Endler, Argentina's Correa)
- England's progress to the Semi-Final was on par with pre-tournament ranking and expectations despite some poor results in the build-up (e.g. 0-1 loss to NZ at Amex)

Negatives:
- VAR is already casting a long shadow over the game and threatening to fundamentally fix what for the most part isn't broken
- There clearly aren't enough female officials who are a good enough standard. FIFA should use men until such a time that there are, regardless of how it looks.
- Most of the games weren't sold out with blocks of empty seats in the upper tiers frequently deserted in spite of ticket prices from only 9 Euros.

Away from the tournament itself, the media gleefully jumped on the Lioness bandwagon and got behind the England team.

BBC Sport webpages bordered on indoctrination with scattergun coverage of articles of varying quality and dubious insights.

Despite the need for the women's game to stand alone, there were frequent unnecessary and unhelpful comparisons:

“Jill Scott beats Peter Shilton’s record"
(No, she hasn't. It's a different game.)

"Five ways women's football beats men's" https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48742850
(To save you clicking...1 - value for money; 2 - more goals; 3 - women stick to the rules; 4 - global competition; 5 - LGBT+ support)

It frequently resembled a primary school playground. All that was missing was 'girls are better than boys, so nerrr...'.
Since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, it predictably came thick and fast in the 'Have Your Say' comments.
The moderators are probably still in therapy...

When teams lose 13-0, it's unlikely that expanding to a 32 team tournament is worth FIFA's consideration away from the usual moneymaking and bribes.

Nevertheless, and despite all of the BBC's attempted re-education, it was an enjoyable tournament with some outstanding goals (e.g. Bronze v Norway).

So there's a good future ahead for the beautiful game globally and a step forward in terms of future sponsorship and commercial partners.

2. Albion Women

Even with all of the focus on the Lionesses, the attendance numbers for domestic games don't lie.

Crawley's certainly an issue, but not necessarily the overriding factor here. Nor is the very cheap ticket price. It's clearly something else.

From earlier postings, it's likely that those that do will continue...and those that don't definitely won't. More reinforcement than change of views.

Watching from the comfort of a sofa is one thing, but how many extra will be motivated to head to Crawley on a wet November afternoon?

The longer lasting legacy that the WWC will hopefully have is encouraging more girls to kick a ball and join a team for friendship and health.

If the target supporter base prioritizes Lionesses over Love Island, the future for the domestic game will be assured.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No If I wanted more football I would go and watch Haywards Heath or Burgess Hill a far better standard.

You didn’t go to Burgess Hill much last season, did you ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I’ll be making the occasional trip to see Lewes Ladies instead I think as the lad is working for them. Might try to get to an Albion game or two as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes.

ps where is the fekkin poll? This thread is useless. USELESS!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
At the moment my concern is that women's football is where men's cricket was about 20 years ago, the international game is of a decent standard but the domestic game is woefully poor. I hope that the World Cup does lead to increased exposure, funding and the benefits that brings, and I will certainly be watching international games on TV from now on when before I normally wouldn't.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Didn't watch a single minute of it, so still not interested. The standard is still too low for me to get excited about it.

Though my first ever match at the Goldstone was the England women's team vs Iceland women's team, so I can't be too critical.

PS The goalkeeping is bloody awful

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So the FA saying that some women’s games will become ‘double headers’ with men’s games, perhaps if the ladies played directly after an Albion win on a Saturday afternoon at the Amex they would get both a larger than average crowd AND everyone would be suitably boozed to give the girls a good atmosphere. Personally I am up for that idea, if you can stay in your seat.

I think it’s a great idea. Absolutely would be tempted to stick around and watch at least some of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here