Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Why do you think the WC players should be paid the same but the league players not?

Both the WC and league for the women generate tiny amounts of money compared to the men's game.

They are representing their country at a Fifa world cup just the same and there is a growing interest from the public. USA team being the prime example.

The domestic league is unlikely to catch up or get close.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really enjoyed the World Cup so yes I am converted and intend getting a season ticket for the up coming Albion's WSL season at £30 for 11 games it's so cheap and getting to the Broardfield Stadium is easy so yes The wife and I are going to give this season a go

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So many people say they didn't watch a minute of the world cup but seem to have an opinion how bad women's football currently is. Funny that.

I voiced an opinion pre-tournament that the goalkeeping was awful. Well this tournament has proved me very wrong. I watched more of this world cup than the 2016, more enjoyable and apart from the US an escape from the theatrics.

No it's "not the level of the mens", it's never ****ing going to be is it due to their testosterone levels. But it's a different free flowing open game, very pleasing to the eye. But hey, you carry on wearing the 'I'M NOT WATCHING WOMEN' as a badge, it's honestly your loss.

(to answer the OP's question, I'll be open to a game or two and especially if the 2021 Euro's arrive at the amex but I don't the more time for an additional season ticket!)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I might take the wee one to an away match once fixtures are out. Could be a bit of a day out for a few small quid and for him to get a taste of that there soccer.

I roamed the grass on a private playing field at the weekend gambolling about with the nipper, but still kept my eye on the cricket match going on on said field, seeing one team being bowled out for 16. You don't have to have the highest of quality at all times to be engaged. Surely we know that as lasting Albion fans with some of the dogpap we've sat through.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So many people say they didn't watch a minute of the world cup but seem to have an opinion how bad women's football currently is. Funny that.

I voiced an opinion pre-tournament that the goalkeeping was awful. Well this tournament has proved me very wrong. I watched more of this world cup than the 2016, more enjoyable and apart from the US an escape from the theatrics.

No it's "not the level of the mens", it's never ****ing going to be is it due to their testosterone levels. But it's a different free flowing open game, very pleasing to the eye. But hey, you carry on wearing the 'I'M NOT WATCHING WOMEN' as a badge, it's honestly your loss.

(to answer the OP's question, I'll be open to a game or two and especially if the 2021 Euro's arrive at the amex but I don't the more time for an additional season ticket!)

You find it pleasing to the eye, others do not. Opinions differ. No one is right or wrong.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m looking forward to it. When does it start ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But hey, you carry on wearing the 'I'M NOT WATCHING WOMEN' as a badge, it's honestly your loss.
)

No it isn't my loss, it really isn't.

The OP has asked a simple question about going to watch the Albion women's team based on watching the World Cup.
Many like myself have answered a simple and honest no, the OP has started a thread asking a fair question and we have replied.

I didn't watch the Women's World Cup and I will not be going to Crawley to watch the Albion's women's team play on a Sunday.
It's not my loss as I have plenty of other things to do on a Sunday.

I obviously understand your point on posters that have said they don't watch women's football and then say it's a poor standard, that is odd.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
read something today about the possibility of double headers? Meaning the womens team will play their fixture prior to the mens team. Decent idea but I wonder how many would be willing to sit through 2 consecutive games- with a break for the mens team to warm up prior to their fixture you're talking about almost 5 hours (would be a lot to ask of a kid for example).

But I can see there being a decent amount of trickling in of crowds for the last half hour of the womens game

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The standard is below non-league. I'm not a fan of that either.

The fact that FC Dallas U15 boys team beat the Women's World Cup winners 5-2 says it all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
100% yes.

Love the 'no' answers from people that didn't watch it.

Was very entertaining and gives me just another route through which to enjoy football.

I think there are a lot of worried men* out there who somehow think this little development might ruin their beautiful game. It won't. It's the same sport, just a different game, and as the game gets investment, so the play will improve.

*I'll add that the game needs to build a relationship with female fans too.

I'll be going along to a women's game next year - probably the Albion, but also Lewes. And with the suggestion of double headers, we may be able to stay behind at the Amex and watch our team play an evening game. Who knows.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But why has the BBC spent the time and money trying to drum up some enthusiasm? Certainly not because the interest was already there. It was absolutely all about political correctness.

Or it was about righting wrongs.

The sport was banned for decades by the FA. They are somewhat playing catch up having been denied the investment for so many years. Funny that, isn't it? And all because they are women.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe because a taxpayer-funded entity has a civic responsibility to devote equal time and resources to both men’s and women’s sports. Because girls should be able to have female role-models to look up to. Because if they don’t, then in all likelihood, no-one else will, because it’s not yet commercially viable, because of people with attitudes like yours.[/QUOT

In which case I trust the BBC will be giving Wall to wall coverage to the netball World Cup which takes place in Liverpool later this year. Yes really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The fact that FC Dallas U15 boys team beat the Women's World Cup winners 5-2 says it all.

That is a really shit argument. It make zero allowance for the importance of physicality over technique, and thus doesn't remotely 'say it all'.

The British U17 (boys) 100m record is well inside the Women's 100m World Record, of (a drug assisted) 10.49 sec.

By your rationale women's athletics is also pointless.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Maybe because a taxpayer-funded entity has a civic responsibility to devote equal time and resources to both men’s and women’s sports. Because girls should be able to have female role-models to look up to. Because if they don’t, then in all likelihood, no-one else will, because it’s not yet commercially viable, because of people with attitudes like yours.[/QUOT

In which case I trust the BBC will be giving Wall to wall coverage to the netball World Cup which takes place in Liverpool later this year. Yes really.

I'm sure Tracey Neville would agree with you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The Netball WC starts next week, and every game IS live on BBC platforms.

What is your point? :shrug:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
read something today about the possibility of double headers? Meaning the womens team will play their fixture prior to the mens team. Decent idea but I wonder how many would be willing to sit through 2 consecutive games- with a break for the mens team to warm up prior to their fixture you're talking about almost 5 hours (would be a lot to ask of a kid for example).

But I can see there being a decent amount of trickling in of crowds for the last half hour of the womens game

Not without my flask! [emoji2959]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here