Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "why can't we sign tried and tested Premier League footballers"

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sky sources: Aston Villa agree fee of £20m to sign defender Tyrone Mings from Bournemouth.

[tweet]1147885662521253888[/tweet]

The fella couldn't even get into Bournemouth's side.

£12m profit from 17 appearances - nice work Bournemouth, I'll allow you to be smug over that one.

Cirina

Apr 25, 2019
Eastbourne
Too low profile and not willing to spend the going rate. Probably an unpopular opinion but it's like we can't or don't want to compete and are quite happy doing things our way

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
He isn't tried and tested at PL level.

Far from it.

We are overjoyed at flogging a fringe player for such a daft fee. I think it rises to £26.5 million.....happy days.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Too low profile and not willing to spend the going rate. Probably an unpopular opinion but it's like we can't or don't want to compete and are quite happy doing things our way

The popular opinion on this forum appears to be it was all Hughton's fault so why would need to sign a different sort of player?

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
We have, Murray Zamora, Sidwell to name a few but all and the end of their careers and very cheap...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Far from it.

We are overjoyed at flogging a fringe player for such a daft fee. I think it rises to £26.5 million.....happy days.

Not surprised. From what I've seen from him, he's a gallumping oaf, and people seem to rate him due to his physique. I suspect you'll be far more concerned at the prospect of losing Ake though. And Wilson. And Fraser.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Far from it.

Exactly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There are two reasons why. And this isn't Brighton or any club below the Champions League Participants. The CL participants are judged by their fans on bringing in massive names. Everyone else have a different agenda which is twofold

1. Don't get ripped off or held to ransom by another selling club in terms of what you pay for a player.

2. Find a player for a bargain that your fans are gonna pat you on the back for finding.

el punal

Sky sources: Aston Villa agree fee of £20m to sign defender Tyrone Mings from Bournemouth.

[tweet]1147885662521253888[/tweet]

The fella couldn't even get into Bournemouth's side.

£12m profit from 17 appearances - nice work Bournemouth, I'll allow you to be smug over that one.

That, motherf*****, is Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction. Enjoy your R-O-Y-A-L-E, mmm mmmh! :drink:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It must come from the top, TB is determined not to pay the wages proven PL players demand.

Burnley and Brighton (excluding one season PL clubs) are the only two clubs with a ceiling of about £50k a week.

Watford, Palace, Bmuff, Newcastle and Stains pay their better players far more than Brighton/Burnley .... don’t quite know how they manage that, when all 7 clubs have not dissimilar income?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't think anyone has been arguing for us to sign tried and tested Premier League players who are still their prime have they? That would be mad. We are one of the poorest clubs in the division (due to our relatively recent arrival) and one that looks nailed on for a relegation battle. Why would anyone jump ship from a premier league club to us? Unless we offered silly money, but no-one wants to go down that road.

I think what people have been suggesting is to take a punt on Championship players rather than players from the Dutch/Belgian leagues, as the style of football (and probably even the jump in standard) is closer, and perhaps some squad signings along the lines of Sidwell/Zamora (e.g. players who can do a job and have the experience, but are perhaps on their way out of other clubs).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It must come from the top, TB is determined not to pay the wages proven PL players demand.

Burnley and Brighton (excluding one season PL clubs) are the only two clubs with a ceiling of about £50k a week.

Watford, Palace, Bmuff, Newcastle and Stains pay their better players far more than Brighton/Burnley .... don’t quite know how they manage that, when all 7 clubs have not dissimilar income?

There's not a lot of difference between the Albion and Watford, and I'd expect that gap to narrow in 2018/19.

Premier League 2019 Average Weekly Wage.PNG

One issue that is different is that of player sales. The other clubs in the list have had substantial sales in recent years, unlike the Albion, and these can be used to contribute towards other player costs such as wages.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect Tony wants to get the same edge he gets on his gambling business, with player acquisition.

And who is to say he can't - over time with a bigger sample of players and with a few refinements to his 'algorithms' ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here