Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Have booked a weekend (well 4 days actually) break in Krakow for Mrs Jakarta and myself following her positive (nothing found) MRI after a 3 year battle with cancer.

It is a Guided Tour and one option is a visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

I'm not sure this is a holiday destination but on the other hand I don't suppose I will ever get to see it again in my lifetime.

For obvious reasons we would like to have an 'up' weekend but feel we SHOULD do it.

Any NSCers visited?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've not been, would like to, but you could look at it as a positive experience. People fighting against the odds, the strength of the human spirit etc etc. As Mrs J clearly has done.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Went a couple of years ago. It’s harrowing and very sad but not something we should ignore.

I highly recommend it. The guides are fantastic in keeping it real but moving on before it starts to drag you down.

Everyone there is extremely respectful.

Go.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Good news re the scan Jez, have a good break. Chris

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent news on the scan. I've never been but everyone I know who has been has said they were glad they went.

In fact, my daughter is there today with a couple of Polish friends, so I'll let you know what she says.

I went some 15 years ago and will always remember it. At a time when a fractured world seems ever closer, anyone who gets the chance should go to remember what happened. When I went all the guides were from families of those who were imprisoned there. It is distressing and uplifting at the same time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you go, go on your last day and you should go in my opinion.

And congrats on the scan.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ve been.
You should go.
Everybody should go.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I went a few years ago. Superb day out and booking a private tour is a must. If staying in Krakow you Must do the free Jewish walking tour. Another major highlight. I won't say any more as it will ruin it.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I went a few years ago, in March. There was snow on the ground, bitterly cold, how did those who survive, survive? It was the most harrowing, humbling experience I’ve ever had. Do I regret going? No, everyone, especially teenagers, should go.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’ve been twice. About 15 years ago, and also back in the early 1990s, when you could wander around the entire Birkenau site.

This was truly harrowing, as there was hardly anyone else around and the sheer scale, unaltered environment and lonely silence was overwhelming.

Nowadays access to Birkenau is limited to the gatehouse and a few huts, in order to preserve the rest for as long as possible.

It is nonetheless inevitably decaying, being predominantly wood and so on. You should go, because much of it will simply not be there in the years to come.

Auschwitz was moving too, but in way that was more informative and educational than purely emotional for me: there are exhibits, significant numbers of visitors and so on. I felt I learnt about the holocaust there, whereas Birkenau left a visceral and lasting impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We went a few years ago in the snow!

Nothing will prepare you for the short film they show you before you go in.

I can’t say you will enjoy the trip, it is certainly NOT an enjoyable experience, however it is a journey that as many people should make if they are able to.

Fantastic news about the scan results.

Krakow castle is well worth a visit as is the square at night!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Wife and I were there two weeks ago.

It is a very moving experience, especially if you have not been to any of these locations before. ( The Holocaust museum in Washington had a deep impact on me. I thought I would be there for an hour and came out 4 hours later.)

You have to book a spot on a tour ahead of time. If you just show up it is very unlikely that you will get in since they are at capacity at this time of year. ( Although apparently they do save some spots if you are there before 7.30 am to queue up.)

The only issue I had with the visit was that since they are at capacity, there was a tour in front and one behind so you were constantly moved on and there was no time for quiet reflection.

Krakow is a lovely city. And very inexpensive for food and drink. You can buy a 3 day pass which covers all the museums and all public transport for about 30 Euros. ( It doesn't cover the castle or the Salt Mine )

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yes. Harrowing is right. Will always stay with me.
Definitely something one should do if possible, though. Only an hour or so by bus from Krakow.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I went last year and I'm glad I did. Auschwitz is very busy though and if you stop too long to reflect you get caught up by the next tour.

It's very emotional but very worthwhile.

We were a bit unlucky in that our party had four very scummy Irish women laughing and swearing on the way round; there's one place where they ask you not to take photos out of respect and they were laughing and taking selfies.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’ve been twice. About 15 years ago, and also back in the early 1990s, when you could wander around the entire Birkenau site.

This was truly harrowing, as there was hardly anyone else around and the sheer scale, unaltered environment and lonely silence was overwhelming.

Nowadays access to Birkenau is limited to the gatehouse and a few huts, in order to preserve the rest for as long as possible.

It is nonetheless inevitably decaying, being predominantly wood and so on. You should go, because much of it will simply not be there in the years to come.

Auschwitz was moving too, but in way that was more informative and educational than purely emotional for me: there are exhibits, significant numbers of visitors and so on. I felt I learnt about the holocaust there, whereas Birkenau left a visceral and lasting impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - I also went in 1992. Like you, I found Auschwitz interesting, but I knew a bit of what to expect. Whereas Birkenau was a totally different experience altogether, and something I shall never forget. I remember going right down the far end of the huts where the entrances to the gas chambers were, and like you say, there was a very strange, eerie, and chilling silence - despite it being a really hot day.

Auschwitz was busy, Birkenau was deserted - and all the more upsetting for that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I went in 2007. It is amazing, humbling, harrowing but it's got to be visited if you're in that part of the world. We drove over the border from Havirov near Ostrava in The Czech Republic where my girlfriend at the time was from when visiting her family.

If I recall correctly the 15 minute film, which is broadcast once an hour in English, Hebrew and Polish, had footage that is unique to Auschwitz.

There's been other threads on NSC about Auschwitz and I'm not the only one who encountered people being idiots whilst there - our walk round the gas chamber was accompanied by 2 Polish women talking, when signs on entering ask you to observe silence out of respect.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When I visited in 2003, mostly there were other tourists around and I was with friends.
Towards the end of the day I wandered off on my own.
At one point I remember looking around me and there were no other people around.
In that instant I’ve never felt such an intense feeling of the presence of evil and misery. It felt hugely powerful , like a weight around me.
It came and went in a second, as some other tourists came around the corner. I then jogged back to my friends. On the taxi I remember us talking about football, booze, fit polish girls....anything but where we’d just been.
In turns out we’d all had a moment and we all felt freaked out.
It was a positive experience though - appreciating what we have as a society, and how important it is to protect it.
Every nschatter should make it a priority to go to Auschwitz. Also, Krakow is a lovely place too, of course.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As ever, NSCers do the business, have booked it as part of the Tour. Thanks to all on this thread.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here