Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - will football ever be the same again?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have an idea.

Keep things as they are and let VAR review everything at the end of the season.

It could be like the point scoring at Eurovision.

'Here are the results for Brighton from the VAR jury. And it's a gain of five points'

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I dont think it will be the same again. Now its already like "they got that VAR decision wrong" , or "oooh I'm not sure" they've got a different VAR angle or camera than us. WTF
We need VAR on the VARs. Or perhaps Hawkeye making sure the 6, 7th and 8th officials were sat at the correct angle to review the VAR

If VAR doesn't end controversy but simply creates its own, then as far as I can see there's absolutely no point in having it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree.

We're just going to have to get used to sitting in our seats when a goal is scored and then wait a minute or two for it be confirmed by VAR. Thought what I might do is use these VAR breaks to go and have a piss, as I reckon from the moment the ball hits the net, you've probably got time to go and have a toilet break and still get back to your seat before the goal is verified.

Going to see some very strange situations next season. That's progress - NOT

If VAR doesn't end controversy but simply creates its own, then as far as I can see there's absolutely no point in having it.

Yup. Wise words.

Spontaneous goal celebrations are now a thing of the past. Previously a swift glance at the lino would suffice, but not any more. I celebrated at least 3 England "goals" this World Cup, as well as Lingards one in the Nations League, only for them all to be chalked off on either ridiculously marginal offsides, or highly questionable calls which were as far from 'clear and obvious' as Boris Johnson is from the truth.

Its been utter shithouse this whole tournament, its ruined and warped games and results. If its implemented the same way in the PL next season, aren't we all in for a fvcking treat.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think the law needs to change so that if any part of an attacking player is ONSIDE at the point the ball is passed to him, he is deemed onside.

The refs can still get over-excited about the position of the striker’s toenail, but at least he gets the benefit of the doubt instead of the current farce.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'd rather get home 10 minutes later knowing that the cheating was spotted and penalised and/or the correct results were awarded, than get home 10 minutes earlier fuming about how 'we woz robbed'

I think you are going to be disappointed as you will still be saying

- why did VAR only choose to review decision a and not b
- that amazing goal was ruled out because someone’s nose was offside
- handball for that what a joke

The worst thing to be introduced in football for years and will restrict the flow of the game further. A flawed concept as the same inconsistent individuals are still making the decisions.

Also what is this obsession with perfection part of the ups and downs of football is the ‘we were robbed’ and ‘that was daylight robbery’ situations. Leave the TV replays for this dull pundits to pour over and give us our game back.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This maybe the season that football changes beyond recognition, football is at its heart a simple game and one of its great advantages over many other team games has been its lack of interruption at the women's football World Cup VAR has slowed the game with added time at the of each half constantly over 5 minutes and on occasion over ten minutes it's going to make getting home much later

You say ‘this May be the season’, but VAR has been in use for several years in different leagues across Europe. There will be a rocky start in the PL, as there was at the start of the 2018 World Cup - before it improved. As there was in the bundesliga, before it improved. As there was in Ligue 1 - before it improved. As there was in Serie A - before it improved.

Even if VAR gets off to a rough start next season, it will improve. It’s new and the referees need to get used to it. It will be fine.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You say ‘this May be the season’, but VAR has been in use for several years in different leagues across Europe. There will be a rocky start in the PL, as there was at the start of the 2018 World Cup - before it improved. As there was in the bundesliga, before it improved. As there was in Ligue 1 - before it improved. As there was in Serie A - before it improved.

Even if VAR gets off to a rough start next season, it will improve. It’s new and the referees need to get used to it. It will be fine.

I'm not sure in the European leagues you mention it has improved. There is still the same complaints

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think you are going to be disappointed as you will still be saying

- why did VAR only choose to review decision a and not b
- that amazing goal was ruled out because someone’s nose was offside
- handball for that what a joke

The worst thing to be introduced in football for years and will restrict the flow of the game further. A flawed concept as the same inconsistent individuals are still making the decisions.

Also what is this obsession with perfection part of the ups and downs of football is the ‘we were robbed’ and ‘that was daylight robbery’ situations. Leave the TV replays for this dull pundits to pour over and give us our game back.

My understanding is that every incident is reviewed? It only comes to our attention though when the panel believe there’s enough doubt.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It's going to ruin the PL next season, dreadful idea

Going to ruin football false stop. This has been touted for years about how it would sort any doubts over decisions that were debatable. Well guess what? It's useless and seems to throw up more debate than ever. Some of those ridiculous decisions during the women's world cup were shocking.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My understanding is that every incident is reviewed? It only comes to our attention though when the panel believe there’s enough doubt.

That is correct the inconsistency is when it is put to the attention of the referee or not. This is what we saw with England at the last World Cup with shirt pulling on corners. Some were referred other identical cases were not. Your last sentence is the reason I do not think it works as each reviewer in the studio will have their own view on enough doubt just like they do when out on the pitch

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know there are cases for and against but what a pain the ars*!

Doesn't feel there is much point celebrating any goal until after it's been checked.

Going to ruin it.

Seeing the the England ladies ‘alleged handball’, the Argentina vs Chile game, there is such a lack of clarity, that all that is happening is further controversy, which I thought it was supposed to reduce/eliminate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What about all the early leavers will they have to adjust their departure time or just miss more football with the guaranteed 10 minutes stoppage time.
At least it will be more fun at the end of the season with one set of fans on the pitch celebrating promotion only for a late VAR decision or a 99th minute goal elsewhere to ruin their party.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
VAR is meant to take away the element of doubt, however from several of the decisions in the Women's WC it has added to the element of doubt. I feel some rules need to the changed, hand ball in my book is hand to ball and not ball to hand, should the rule be changed to any touch on the arm / hand is hand ball as without a rule change we are still down to opinion.
The whole thing of four officials watching on screens being unable to make a decision and passing onto the onfield referee is ridiculous if four officials can't make a decision how can you put the pressure on to one. VAR is meant to simplify decision making at present it is just adding to the confussion.
Personally I don't think it should be used until all issues have been resolved and all parties, officials and players fully understand it, watching players defend with hands behind there backs to avoid the ball striking arm / hand is just wrong.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Your comment sums up VAR completely for me. Every week someone will question why one decision is reviewed and another seemigly identical one will not be.

In the end so much will be down to the referees interpretation as it always was in the past. We will just now have longer delays and no spontaneity in celebrating a goal.

The 'chalked off' equiliser for England ladies yesterday summed it up for me perfectly. There is no way that would have been ruled out in the past and in my view there was no deliberate attempt to move her arm towards the ball - not one of the Sweden players even appealed which usually gives you some indication they considered it a fair goal.

The other thing that worries me is how many defenders will try to pressure referees to review a goal they have conceded almost every match, saying there was a foul somewhere in the build up. Who will ultimately have the authority to review a decision by VAR - the refs themselves or only when instructed via their earpiece from the officials in a studio, or a combination of both?

In my view if they really want to try VAR it should be tried at league 1 and 2 level for a season or two and then if successful and fine tuned it could be implemented at the higher levels - not the other way round.

MOTD next season is going to be interesting - I thought there was too much inane comment from the Lineker and the guests currently - might be next season that we have more VAR discussions than actual football highlights!

Last edited:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Your comment sums up VAR completely for me. Every week someone will question why one decision is reviewed and another seemigly identical one will not be.

In the end so much will be down to the referees interpretation as it always was in the past. We will just now have longer delays and no spontaneity in celebrating a goal.

The 'chalked off' equiliser for England ladies yesterday summed it up for me perfectly. There is no way that would have been ruled out in the past and in my view there was no deliberate attempt to move her arm towards the ball - not one of the Sweden players even appealed which usually gives you some indication they considered it a fair goal.

The other thing that worries me is how many defenders will try to pressure referees to review a goal they have conceded almost every match, saying there was a foul somewhere in the build up. Who will ultimately have the authority to review a decision by VAR - the refs themselves or only when instructed via their earpiece from the officials in a studio, or a combination of both?

In my view if they really want to try VAR it should be tried at league 1 and 2 level for a season or two and then if successful and fine tuned it could be implemented at the higher levels - not the other way round.

MOTD next season is going to be interesting - I thought there was too much inane comment from the Lineker and the guests currently - might be next season that we have more VAR discussions than actual football highlights!

That isn't the handball law anymore.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Hate it with a passion. It slows everything down, means that all initial celebrations will be muted and doesn't remove controversy. It will make non/lower league football all the more attractive.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I know there are cases for and against but what a pain the ars*!

Doesn't feel there is much point celebrating any goal until after it's been checked.

Have not read the rest of thread, but here goes quick opinion.

It will RUIN football as a live spectator sport.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'd rather get home 10 minutes later knowing that the cheating was spotted and penalised and/or the correct results were awarded, than get home 10 minutes earlier fuming about how 'we woz robbed'

Football should be about passion, not clarity. It is why it WAS known as the Saturday Church.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here