Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
‘The biggest disappointment is that I never saw it coming.’

If he truly didn’t think there was a chance he’d lose him job after that horror show of 2019, especially at home, then I’ve got little sympathy for the man.

Managers have been sacked for far less these days. One home win from Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle and Cardiff is pathetic. I would have thought he is a better person than that. He is being used by the media as part of an agenda

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I felt sad reading the bit about him being speechless. He’s a true gent. I find him very interesting in interviews like this and is someone I’d love to spend an evening talking to.

You wouldn't be disappointed.

I have introduced him to many of my friends over the years and without exception everyone comes away saying ''what a seriously nice and interesting guy'' He even takes time to do things for their kids and when I have done some Charity stuff he always goes out of his way to organise something for me that help support the charity.

And each and every one of his family are all the same. I too was a bit sad reading the article even though I knew everything in it. I sort of knew the interview would come but hearing it first hand I got the chance to give a supportive response but just reading it - Well that was difficult for me.

But anyway at least that closes the chapter and on to the next one when the guy is ready.

It is nice to read the supportive responses here. He deserves nothing less for what he done at Brighton. It's also nice to see there is a focus in the article on moving forward surrounding the issues of BME Managers because that's what I would love to see him help promote in the future. Although I suppose he can do that even more if he is in a prominent Managerial Job and he achieves success in whatever role he takes next.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Top man. Did a great job, but I think the time had come for a change. A change will probably be good for Chris and the Albion. It gives him a few months away from the stresses of football management, so he can move into his next role with his batteries fully recharged, and we, as a football club, can take a different playing direction, from a stable position. Best of luck to Chris.
He certainly isn't stupid, and therefore I'm sure he will wait for the right opportunity to come along.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Possibly a bit pathetic to say it, but I genuinely can't bring myself to read it, not wanting to hear about any grief we may have afflicted on the great man. When he gets a new post it'll be akin to (for me anyway) a still-loved ex having moved on with a new partner.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
“The biggest disappointment is that I never saw it coming,” the 60-year-old says. “As a manager you get a feel when things are not right or relationships have broken down, but there was never anything there for me to feel what was coming. I thought the chairman was in there for club stuff or if he was there to see me it was about the pre-season, so it was a big shock. For a moment I couldn’t say anything. I absolutely wasn’t expecting it, I was stunned, there was a silence.”

Fair warning to Potter. It could happen to you the same way. Never ever keep your guard down. You could be sacked at any day or time. It's now the Albion Way. The Albion upper management should be ashamed. This should never have happened to a man like Chris Hughton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
“The biggest disappointment is that I never saw it coming,” the 60-year-old says. “As a manager you get a feel when things are not right or relationships have broken down, but there was never anything there for me to feel what was coming. I thought the chairman was in there for club stuff or if he was there to see me it was about the pre-season, so it was a big shock. For a moment I couldn’t say anything. I absolutely wasn’t expecting it, I was stunned, there was a silence.”

Fair warning to Potter. It could happen to you the same way. Never ever keep your guard down. You could be sacked at any day or time. It's now the Albion Way. The Albion upper management should be ashamed. This should never have happened to a man like Chris Hughton.

Yeah deffo.

All multi multi million pound businesses are run on sentimentally.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Like all fans I want Potter to succeed. Under CH we finished 4th bottom with a bottom 3 budget with a regular starting XI featuring players from Bournemouth reserves, Celtic reserves, Charlton, Blackburn, Lewes and Wigan. The football in the second half of the season was poor but if you’re up against better players then what else can be realistically expected?

You daft bugger. You posted that from the wrong account :lolol:

:lol:

Maybe just go back and edit it to add a :whistle: on the end and nobody will notice?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I would imagine he's waiting for the usual Christmas meltdown, at which point he'll probably be able to take his pick of clubs within reasonable commuting distance!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Seems a bit naive from Chris to have no inkling that he might lose his job after the way we played, and the results from the 2nd half of the season.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Yeah deffo.

All multi multi million pound businesses are run on sentimentally.
In the main, in the UK, multi million pound business run within employment law and we were led to believe the Albion were working to these guidelines when sacking Poyet and in the future. Recent events suggest otherwise currently, so why was Hughton different?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Seems a bit naive from Chris to have no inkling that he might lose his job after the way we played, and the results from the 2nd half of the season.

The reason CH never saw it coming is that in the meetings he had with Tony Bloom is there was no indication to Chris that Bloom was unhappy with the way things were going. Bloom seemed to process complete faith in CH until the one day that he came in to sack him.

You have to be honest with your employees and if you are starting to be worried about their work output give them some kind of inclination that you are dissatisfied. Apparently this didn't happen in Chris's mind. He was under the impression that for the most part things were okay with the Albion upper management. It was the personal interaction between an employee and their immediate superior that is most important. Tony Bloom was not totally honest with CH or with a man having integrity like Hughton this would have never surprised CH.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the main, in the UK, multi million pound business run within employment law and we were led to believe the Albion were working to these guidelines when sacking Poyet and in the future. Recent events suggest otherwise currently, so why was Hughton different?

Once again the lack of a sarcasm emoji is a failing of NSC.

I was replying to the sentimentality of the previous post.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason CH never saw it coming is that in the meetings he had with Tony Bloom is there was no indication to Chris that Bloom was unhappy with the way things were going. Bloom seemed to process complete faith in CH until the one day that he came in to sack him.

You have to be honest with your employees and if you are starting to be worried about their work output give them some kind of inclination that you are dissatisfied. Apparently this didn't happen in Chris's mind. He was under the impression that for the most part things were okay with the Albion upper management. It was the personal interaction between an employee and their immediate superior that is most important. Tony Bloom was not totally honest with CH or with a man having integrity like Hughton this would have never surprised CH.

In your scenario CH wasn't entirely honest with himself.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

He obviously didn't see the broadcast coverage of the Cardiff ( ? ) game showing Tony with a face like thunder at the end.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Once again the lack of a sarcasm emoji is a failing of NSC

You need to get out more [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] t1559.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here