Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agree. Can't understand why some people think finishing 17th, possibly doing it every year, is success. As you quite rightly say, that poor form could well carry on into next year and we'd be sacking CH before xmas and still his fans would bemoan the situation demanding that he had earnt the right to turn it around!

Good Grief man - If you notice, people like myself and [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] have left you all alone to play by yourselves and you are still banging on about his time at Norwich 6 or 7 years ago - Give it a ****in rest

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Explain his use of Solly March to the class please.

The Solly March who was told not to go too far forward in games.

The Solly March who frustrated the daylights out of many supporters for seemingly regressing rather than progressing when all along he was told to not go too far forward.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Agree with this March looked like a player who took a noticeable step backwards last season he was almost a full back at times. To his credit he performed very well defensively but someone I fully expect to kick on and thrive under a more attacking philosophy. What was very noticeable last season was how few of our wingers pick the ball up and make a beeline for the box that cannot be coincidence and is clearly instructed/coached out of them

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Only time will tell if it was the right decision, but for everything Chris achieved at our club, there is no doubt he will always be one of our greatest ever managers. Total class act.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only time will tell if it was the right decision, but for everything Chris achieved at our club, there is no doubt he will always be one of our greatest ever managers. Total class act.
Indeed. Left us after 4.5 years in a way better position than when he joined. And that is all we can hope for.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hughton was not expecting to be sacked? I hope he has now returned to earth after spending time in Cloud Cuckoo land. Other clubs would have sacked him long before. Only beating one of the teams in the bottom three, thrashed by Bournemouth 5-0, 0-2 at home against Cardiff, throwing away a 2-0 lead and letting in 4 against Fulham in the second half, struggling to beat Huddersfield at home. He may be Mr nice guy but that counts for nothing. Good luck to him for the future and thanks for what He did for the club but Bloom did exactly the right thing. Football is a tough business with no room for sentiment.

Regarding BAME, how many black footballing Nations have Black managers at international level? I see that Cameroon do but Nigeria and South Africa don't. Which others do?

Spot on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree. Can't understand why some people think finishing 17th, possibly doing it every year, is success. As you quite rightly say, that poor form could well carry on into next year and we'd be sacking CH before xmas and still his fans would bemoan the situation demanding that he had earnt the right to turn it around!

Good Grief man - If you notice, people like myself and [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] have left you all alone to play by yourselves and you are still banging on about his time at Norwich 6 or 7 years ago - Give it a ****in rest

Sorry but where does drew mention Norwich in that post?

If you have a bottom three budget and finish 17th it is success.

So, I know it would be bad for business for you to say otherwise, but is that really what football has come down to these days? It's depressing if it is. I get that more money should = better players but our chums up the road are proving that to be patently untrue just now. £30 million for a hopeless striker who missed half the season in Benteke, plus stupid wages. Wan Bissaka sold for probably four times what he should be worth? Other players paid insane wages as well, apparently? Our 50k (or so) wage cap seems entirely sensible in context.

But does your measurement of budget include any of the spend on the academy? Or on Ashworth? I would think TB's definition of succes goes a bit beyond 17th in the league and includes ROI on both the academy and the back room staff he expects to contribute to the overall success of "Club Brighton".

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
In your scenario CH wasn't entirely honest with himself.

In your employment situation if your immediate superior was telling you that everything was fine but you saw signs that others were unhappy with your work output, which was a normal occurance in your job, would you tend to believe the immediate superior or the group expressing their displeasure as usual?

In his employment, CH had to constantly ignore much displeasure voiced by the Albion fans

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He obviously didn't see the broadcast coverage of the Cardiff ( ? ) game showing Tony with a face like thunder at the end.

Even if he had seen the broadcast coverage how would he have known exactly what Bloom was unhappy about. What if a friend or family member of Hughton's had seen the look on Bloom's face in the broadcast coverage was he supposed to surmise that Bloom had not been truthful with CH in their meetings.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But does your measurement of budget include any of the spend on the academy? Or on Ashworth? I would think TB's definition of succes goes a bit beyond 17th in the league and includes ROI on both the academy and the back room staff he expects to contribute to the overall success of "Club Brighton".

I'll ignore the snidey 'bad for business' comment, I don't make money out of what I do in terms of the football finance stuff other than being paid a salary for my day job. The media and social media work is unpaid, usually without even expenses, including the talk to the Albion business breakfast at the Amex.

The budget measurement does include the academy spend, if you look at what the Albion's investment arm does is it aims to make profits out of player recruitment. Nothing wrong with that, our second highest transfer fee received if the £4m figures quoted is accurate was in respect of Ales Mateju, expect to see similar gains in respect of Tau, Mac Allister and Arce etc. It makes sound business sense, but it's not 'football' as such as these players are recruited for significant fees but are highly unlikely to be seen at the Amex due to work permit and other issues.

As for the link between wages and points, it's a fairly close one IMO as shown below. The romance of football is dead, even getting to the FA Cup semi final is sneered at by many these days.

Wages to Points.PNG

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Oh FFS. Talk about completely misunderstanding the club. CH can cope, and has had his contract fully paid up, no strings attached. But he was the manager, not the owner. Ultimately the buck stops with TB. Luckily for us he has balls of steele and didn't wimp out of making a necessary (in his view, our view is irrelevant) decision out of sentiment. We are a football club, not a Darby and Joan club.

I'm trying to say that there had to be some lack of communication between CH and TB in their meetings or this would not have been such a surprise to a man such as Hughton with great integrity.My thinking is that TB did not show much integrity in his meetings with CH.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm trying to say that there had to be some lack of communication between CH and TB in their meetings or this would not have been such a surprise to a man such as Hughton with great integrity.My thinking is that TB did not show much integrity in his meetings with CH.

I think your thinking is wrong. How can you comment on someone's behaviour at a meeting at which you weren't present and of which you have seen no report? How can you pass judgement on things you only imagine were said? Bizarre. Are you religious by any chance?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think your thinking is wrong. How can you comment on someone's behaviour at a meeting at which you weren't present and of which you have seen no report? How can you pass judgement on things you only imagine were said? Bizarre. Are you religious by any chance?

How can you? You are doing the same thing, guessing what was said between CH & TB in those meetings. My thinking (guessing) is that Hughton has proven to be a man of integrity and TB, in my mind, has not shown that integrity.

Yes, I'm religious in the fact I believe in the teachings of L.Ron Hubbard but NOT the Church of Scientology

In other words I despise most formal religions including what christianity does to people.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Explain his use of Solly March to the class please.

The Solly March who was told not to go too far forward in games.

The Solly March who frustrated the daylights out of many supporters for seemingly regressing rather than progressing when all along he was told to not go too far forward.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Any actual evidence he was told this?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll ignore the snidey 'bad for business' comment, I don't make money out of what I do in terms of the football finance stuff other than being paid a salary for my day job. The media and social media work is unpaid, usually without even expenses, including the talk to the Albion business breakfast at the Amex.

Apologies, a badly aimed joke, no more. I'm genuinely interested in how much of the whole picture "the budget" includes, if also depressed by how much money has come to dominate sport. That's all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How can you? You are doing the same thing, guessing what was said between CH & TB in those meetings. My thinking (guessing) is that Hughton has proven to be a man of integrity and TB, in my mind, has not shown that integrity.

Yes, I'm religious in the fact I believe in the teachings of L.Ron Hubbard but NOT the Church of Scientology

In other words I despise most formal religions including what christianity does to people.

Seriously that is nonsense. If I say you don't know what was said at a meeting at which you were not present, I am not saying I do know what was said at the meeting. But that doesn't therefore mean that you do know. Think about it. Just because neither you nor I know what was said at a meeting does not mean that when you say you know and I say you don't that we are both talking bollocks. No, only you are talking bollocks. But, yes, L Ron Hubbard.....I made a big mistake expecting reason and fairmindedness here, didn't I :facepalm:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apologies, a badly aimed joke, no more. I'm genuinely interested in how much of the whole picture "the budget" includes, if also depressed by how much money has come to dominate sport. That's all.

I'm with you 100% that money now dominates the game. In an ideal world there would be no dullards clogging up the airways talking about it either :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here