Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
F knows.

We'll either finish comfortably, as a standard premier league side. Or we'll REALLY struggle, in which case we'll probably go down.

I'm looking forward to it.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Whereas I would say we stayed up despite Chris last season... he had to go... he did... move on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read my post again - I said I would be getting fully behind Potter.

The question asked how confident I was and I gave my opinion (and said I hoped I would be wrong).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Because I think Chris Hughton did brilliantly to keep us up twice in a row and I don't have the same faith in an inexperienced manager.
Doesn't mean I won't be getting fully behind the team and Potter though.

Potter isn't inexperienced though is he? He has more experience than Lampard who is inexperienced but Chelsea still hired him. Potter may not have PL managerial experience. Neither does Lampard although he did play in it for many years. Hughton had experience and look at what he dished up last season.

Time to embrace change.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If we do play expansively and go for all out attack as you put it, then almost certainly I can see a return to the Championship looming come the end of the season. As hard a pill though it is for many to swallow, an ultra defensive, nee negative approach is necessary, especially when facing clubs in the top six.

I will agree though, that home games against the likes of Southampton and Cardiff, both of which we lost with a whimper last season, we should be starting on the front foot, playing attacking football, and looking to win.

Graham Potter's brand of football look to be very different to Chris Hughton's though, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Premier League survival, in itself, can be measured as some degree of success.

I haven't read anywhere that we will be playing "expansively" under Potter. What exactly does that mean anyway? I've read that our play will be more possession based looking to go forward but never described as "expansive". I've not read that we'll be going all out attack either.

I'm just looking forward to looking forward to going to watch The Albion again.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Potter isn't inexperienced though is he? He has more experience than Lampard who is inexperienced but Chelsea still hired him. Potter may not have PL managerial experience. Neither does Lampard although he did play in it for many years. Hughton had experience and look at what he dished up last season.

Time to embrace change.

Premier League survival.

I think Lampard is a huge mistake for Chelsea (and Solskaer at Utd)
In terms of embracing change there is no choice and as I have already said I will be getting fully behind Potter.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
If we do play expansively and go for all out attack as you put it, then almost certainly I can see a return to the Championship looming come the end of the season. As hard a pill though it is for many to swallow, an ultra defensive, nee negative approach is necessary, especially when facing clubs in the top six.

I will agree though, that home games against the likes of Southampton and Cardiff, both of which we lost with a whimper last season, we should be starting on the front foot, playing attacking football, and looking to win.

Graham Potter's brand of football look to be very different to Chris Hughton's though, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Premier League survival, in itself, can be measured as some degree of success.

It certainly would be a great achievement for GP. It really is the minimum expected by Tony Bloom. It is his biggest gamble and I think there will be a couple more big signings and I can see us breaking our record to bring in the right striker.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I haven't read anywhere that we will be playing "expansively" under Potter. What exactly does that mean anyway? I've read that our play will be more possession based looking to go forward but never described as "expansive". I've not read that we'll be going all out attack either.

I'm just looking forward to looking forward to going to watch The Albion again.

expansive means long ball

possession means **** about with it til the other team nick the the ball and score

either way were ****ed :lol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Were loose.

No improvement to the squad. No new striker who can score regularly, midfield outgunned, unknown manager who might be ok but no evidence either way, no left back cover. Goalkeeper and centre backs ok, but the rest.....

Also it's only July , so way too early for this sort of thing

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Confidence too early to say

Optimism much higher than if we had carried on with same setup we finished last season with

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Christ this place is full of negativity.

We wont buy another striker because we bought two last season but our manager at the time decided not to use them on a regular basis, so we didn't get a proper chance to gauge whether they can cut in the top flight or not. The same with Ali J. With luck, GP will bring the best out of them.

All three were proven goalscorers in a "lesser" league but in that lesser league they were given a decent service from midfield which actually gave them a chance to put the ball in the back of the net, a service that was severely lacking for the majority of last season. If they are played regularly in the first half of the season and don't make the grade, move them on and recruit in January.

We also have a proven solid defence. The midfield was a bit iffy last year but Gross was missing for a good chunk of the year so I would prefer further strengthening there rather than the forward line.

We were doing OK, but not brilliant up to the end of December and I still really can't fathom why there was such a drastic drop in form from January onwards.

Yes we may concede a few more goals with more attacking football but we should also score a great deal more and I, for one, would much prefer to lose a game 4-3 against any side than see my my team struggling to get out of their own half for 90 minutes.

I am very confident that we will not only stay up but better last year's position by a good few places but then I am a glass half full type of bloke.

I am just gagging for the new season to start.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Christ this place is full of negativity.

We wont buy another striker because we bought two last season but our manager at the time decided not to use them on a regular basis, so we didn't get a proper chance to gauge whether they can cut in the top flight or not. The same with Ali J. With luck, GP will bring the best out of them.

All three were proven goalscorers in a "lesser" league but in that lesser league they were given a decent service from midfield which actually gave them a chance to put the ball in the back of the net, a service that was severely lacking for the majority of last season. If they are played regularly in the first half of the season and don't make the grade, move them on and recruit in January.

We also have a proven solid defence. The midfield was a bit iffy last year but Gross was missing for a good chunk of the year so I would prefer further strengthening there rather than the forward line.

We were doing OK, but not brilliant up to the end of December and I still really can't fathom why there was such a drastic drop in form from January onwards.

Yes we may concede a few more goals with more attacking football but we should also score a great deal more and I, for one, would much prefer to lose a game 4-3 against any side than see my my team struggling to get out of their own half for 90 minutes.

I am very confident that we will not only stay up but better last year's position by a good few places but then I am a glass half full type of bloke.

I am just gagging for the new season to start.

I feel pretty much the same :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Little to be confident about tbh. Still think we've taken a huge gamble. Hope i'm wrong but time will tell.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ostigard getting rave reviews in today’s online Argus

Bit pointless mentioning him. The article clearly says he's looking forward to going out on loan!

Definitely one for the future though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit pointless mentioning him. The article clearly says he's looking forward to going out on loan!

Maybe not, at the end of the article it says:

“It is likely he will be seen again in pre-season before any loan plans come to fruition”

Downside for him is that we are already blessed with 5 central defenders so his chance of breaking into the first team squad must be limited, however good he is.

el punal

Every so often one gets a gut feeling about new manager as yet unproven on the Prem. I honestly feel we could well be dark horses, top 10. So yes I'm confident that this season will be better than the last, let's be honest it couldn't be much worse.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Last season we went from an average ho-hum predictable side to bad, to very bad, to appalling in just a few months. We cannot possibly be as awful next season as we were towards the end of last term.

So, like you, I’m optimistic about what we might achieve from August onwards. Excited that we have a new manager on board, with a philosophy for attractive, expansive football. It could be the kick start for the Albion to progress up the table - how far? We wait and see.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Read my post again - I said I would be getting fully behind Potter.

The question asked how confident I was and I gave my opinion (and said I hoped I would be wrong).

Good. One less moron then...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Premier League survival.

I think Lampard is a huge mistake for Chelsea (and Solskaer at Utd)
In terms of embracing change there is no choice and as I have already said I will be getting fully behind Potter.

Chris did not deliver PL survival last season. It was delivered despite his overly negative tactics.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good. One less moron then...

There are no 'morons' on this.

Every poster has said they want Potter to succeed ( well maybe one uber negative one hasn't actually said it... yet..., but given time... you never know... ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here