Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Profiteering from Pride?

I’m thinking of setting up a middle aged white straight male so called privileged club. We are the most unliked group in the world seemingly even though I don’t recall hurting anyone. It’s open season mind!

If you start the group and you are the only one that joins, then it becomes the most unliked in the world I think you can take it as personal.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I’m thinking of setting up a middle aged white straight male so called privileged club. We are the most unliked group in the world seemingly even though I don’t recall hurting anyone. It’s open season mind!

I actually don't think white Caucasian males are privileged.I don't think many do. If by privileged you mean white males haven't regularly been branded criminals and gaoled for being straight, haven't been sacked simply because they are straight, haven't been beaten up and murdered simply because they are straight,haven't been executed by various states because they are straight, haven't been thrown out of bars, clubs, restaurants simply because they held their partmers hands, haven't had mortgages and loans and insurance refused because they are straight, haven't been allowed to visit dying partners because they were straight, have not received partner pensions because they are straight, haven't lost their homes because their straight partner of 25 years died and as they were straight had no rights,and so many other things then yes you are privileged. If like me you think NOT having that happen isn't a privilege but just what a civilised society would expect and do you may start to realise why some groups to whom all this happens regularly may feel a little bit unsympathetic about your so called set upon "white male privileged club".

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yeah, but last year it received circa £750k in sponsorship. The companies that sponsored are expecting a commercial result, or is that too much to expect?

of course not, and thats not my point. Nothing wrong with sponsorship and using that as publicity (God bless American Express) but it is wrong, to not pay sponsorship, not do anything to help, but then plaster your business with rainbow flags and say "proud to support pride"-and that is what I am trying(not very well) to get across

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
of course not, and thats not my point. Nothing wrong with sponsorship and using that as publicity (God bless American Express) but it is wrong, to not pay sponsorship, not do anything to help, but then plaster your business with rainbow flags and say "proud to support pride"-and that is what I am trying(not very well) to get across

I agree completely that if you are going to benefit from Pride then you should contribute to it.

However, (maybe because of my age) I'm still enjoying the fact that companies and organisations all round Sussex feel that 'they have to be seen to be supporting Pride' as to do anything other than that would have a negative impact on them.

I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't always this way.

I took my 85 year old Mum out for dinner last night and she was asking when Pride was. She comes with us every year as 'It's so much better than that Lions Carnival thing they used to do' :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I actually don't think white Caucasian males are privileged.I don't think many do. If by privileged you mean white males haven't regularly been branded criminals and gaoled for being straight, haven't been sacked simply because they are straight, haven't been beaten up and murdered simply because they are straight,haven't been executed by various states because they are straight, haven't been thrown out of bars, clubs, restaurants simply because they held their partmers hands, haven't had mortgages and loans and insurance refused because they are straight, haven't been allowed to visit dying partners because they were straight, have not received partner pensions because they are straight, haven't lost their homes because their straight partner of 25 years died and as they were straight had no rights,and so many other things then yes you are privileged. If like me you think NOT having that happen isn't a privilege but just what a civilised society would expect and do you may start to realise why some groups to whom all this happens regularly may feel a little bit unsympathetic about your so called set upon "white male privileged club".

But, from someone on your side, that isn’t happening now is it? But all of a sudden you seem to want to ride the white charger (that is an historical horse of do goodery) and claim the land that is victimhood.

Bored now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But, from someone on your side, that isn’t happening now is it? But all of a sudden you seem to want to ride the white charger (that is an historical horse of do goodery) and claim the land that is victimhood.

Bored now.

0e1aef8847078c355351651d2963e006--getter-bar.jpg

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Bored now.

and that is why we still need pride,a lot of people think everything is all ok now,when in reality it isnt. Yes its so much better in the South East of England than it was but teens are still being thrown out of home -in Brighton, Saudi Arabia, Iran and others executed tens of gay males THIS YEAR, homophobic attacks happen in Brighton all the time, youngsters are still bullied at school, "Thats so GAY" is still being used as an insult. there is still discrimination in the work place, and there are plenty of places in the UK where things still feel like they did 20 years ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Over the past few weeks I have noticed a proliferation of rainbows, on shop fronts, banners, adverts, even my Barclay's on line app logo has changed from Blue to Rainbow, all "proudly supporting Pride" But , are they?
Well no, probably not, but companies aren't people. People can be supportive, loving, caring, and give their time for free to help others etc. Companies are generally there just to make money. The board of a company might like to give something back to a cause that one of the owners feels strongly about, but generally I wouldn't expect the company to care, as a company isn't a human.

Supermarkets, Banks, Restaurant chains all proudly flying the flag informing us of what exactly? Other than increasing prices to make a quick pink buck, what have most of these companies actually done to support the non-hetro community? Basically what it means is they have done didlly squat, other than maybe got a PR missive saying you lucky gay types, we wont discriminate against you anymore- aren't we good, and you should all be grateful.
I'm not sure all these companies discriminated did they?

Am I alone in feeling that its seen by both small local and large national and multi national companies as just a way of promoting their brand, and basically they have no interest in anything other than that.
No that's probably about right. But whatever their motive, when a whole town is seen to be supporting something I think it helps spread the message that all of us are welcome and equal etc, and I feel like that's a good thing. I don't really care that the motive of a profit making company is more about making profits than anything else.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Really? [MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]Clamp, so you think that white, middle aged males should only be allowed to post on here if they agree with you?

Is it wrong to be white? Well you seem to see it as a negative. Is it a crime to be middle aged? If the middle aged have an opinion that suits their demographic above others then you think that is wrong too. If nuclear/space war occurred between Earth and Mars you are one of those supporting the other side to appear ‘cool’.

Just sometimes people need to see/realise what side their bread is buttered on.

Grow up. Of course being white isn’t bad. Don’t be so bloody stupid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some interesting and thoughtful posts in reply to my original post.That in itself is quite remarkable, as I am sure other boards would have had a very different response from sections of the fanbase!

I think there seem to be two different approaches by the larger companies. There is the approach that most people would expect from any company who emblazon the rainbow logo over everything and "Proudly Support Pride", namely as in KingKev post #14 that the company actively look to make a difference and take action when dealing with companies that are discriminatory against the wider LGBTQ community. They don't necessarily make a fuss and have a "look at us arent we good " attitude, but just quietly get on with it. Some of these companies also donate to LGBTQ causes and charities, and that is fantastic and actually shows how far things have come.

You then get the opposite of this-and these are the companies I am referring to in my posts-those that basically stick up a Rainbow flag for the weekend, increase prices, reap the rewards but actually don't care and do not take any steps to ensure that they or the companies /people they deal with act in an ethical way, and do not actually support in anyway the very thing that they are making money on.

All in all things in the UK have changed significantly over the past few years, and long may that continue.

There are businesses who will stick anything on a product to try to make a quick profit, but that's the nature of business.

Surely the great thing about what is happening in terms of the mainstream use of the rainbow flag is that companies are no longer worried about the potential loss of business from bigoted bellends who boycott companies who do not share their enlightened view of the world, so it is a sign of acceptance and tolerance that should be applauded as overall the pluses outnumber the minuses.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As numerous others have said most companies will jump on any bandwagon or agenda if they believe it will have a net beneficial impact on their profit margin/brand. Not sure how God feels about appropriating one of his miraculous weather events as a gay pride symbol though :angel:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

You have to decide what the rainbow flags mean.

Do they belong to pride? (which is now a commercial organisation)
Or are they just a symbol that belongs to everyone who wants to show support.

Businesses cash in on the St George's flag every time there's a World Cup or Euros. I think it's overly cynical to suggest that they're simply doing it for the money. I think it's the same with Pride, you have to take it at face value and accept the support even if it's only in a moral sense.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As numerous others have said most companies will jump on any bandwagon or agenda if they believe it will have a net beneficial impact on their profit margin/brand. Not sure how God feels about appropriating one of his miraculous weather events as a gay pride symbol though :angel:

Never mind God, what about Zippy and Bungle?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
A local independent travel firm I know has been on Brighton’s parade for years now, was one of the first to ban Royal Brunei way before STA and co, support and advice travellers appropriately and has helped in local projects both within the LGBT world and outside of it.

Isn’t going on the March this year as they either can’t afford it or other national travel companies/airlines have paid for the slots.

For me that’s the sad thing here. Local Brighton companies who are involved have now been pushed out.

If there is one for the national companies surely it’s the London one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You need anger management classes. Don’t take out on me!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you start the group and you are the only one that joins, then it becomes the most unliked in the world I think you can take it as personal.

I think that’s the same for anything isn’t it?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why would you need to set one up rather than just join one of the thousands of existing clubs that are full of middle aged white straight males?

I know not one that’s exclusively so - could you enlighten me?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Jesus wept, how are retarded ****wits like you allowed to still post on this board?
The mods have let NSC go to shite.

Water off ducks back because your beef comes from many inc. me humiliating you on other threads because you so regularly talk utter gubbins and it’s our duty to put you right. Nice use of ‘retard’ mind, keep ‘em coming, keep embarrassing yourself, you’re winning the crowd over with such language. The Clot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here