Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Profiteering from Pride?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It's a bit shitty that you can't, to my knowledge, just ruck up and take part in the parade now. Think you have to pay to take part and it's pretty pricey.

Happy to be proven wrong on that - was something a friend of mine told me who's firm took part a couple of years ago.

If you want a "float" you have to pay for it-but you always did, its easy enough just to join in the parade on foot. A friend wanted to have a float last year, but the cost of entry, insurance, having to have someone walking by each of the wheels just priced it out of reach.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you want a "float" you have to pay for it-but you always did, its easy enough just to join in the parade on foot. A friend wanted to have a float last year, but the cost of entry, insurance, having to have someone walking by each of the wheels just priced it out of reach.

Ah I see. Maybe it was the cost bit he was referring to.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Some interesting and thoughtful posts in reply to my original post.That in itself is quite remarkable, as I am sure other boards would have had a very different response from sections of the fanbase!

I think there seem to be two different approaches by the larger companies. There is the approach that most people would expect from any company who emblazon the rainbow logo over everything and "Proudly Support Pride", namely as in KingKev post #14 that the company actively look to make a difference and take action when dealing with companies that are discriminatory against the wider LGBTQ community. They don't necessarily make a fuss and have a "look at us arent we good " attitude, but just quietly get on with it. Some of these companies also donate to LGBTQ causes and charities, and that is fantastic and actually shows how far things have come.

You then get the opposite of this-and these are the companies I am referring to in my posts-those that basically stick up a Rainbow flag for the weekend, increase prices, reap the rewards but actually don't care and do not take any steps to ensure that they or the companies /people they deal with act in an ethical way, and do not actually support in anyway the very thing that they are making money on.

All in all things in the UK have changed significantly over the past few years, and long may that continue.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some interesting and thoughtful posts in reply to my original post.That in itself is quite remarkable, as I am sure other boards would have had a very different response from sections of the fanbase!

I think there seem to be two different approaches by the larger companies. There is the approach that most people would expect from any company who emblazon the rainbow logo over everything and "Proudly Support Pride", namely as in KingKev post #14 that the company actively look to make a difference and take action when dealing with companies that are discriminatory against the wider LGBTQ community. They don't necessarily make a fuss and have a "look at us arent we good " attitude, but just quietly get on with it. Some of these companies also donate to LGBTQ causes and charities, and that is fantastic and actually shows how far things have come.

You then get the opposite of this-and these are the companies I am referring to in my posts-those that basically stick up a Rainbow flag for the weekend, increase prices, reap the rewards but actually don't care and do not take any steps to ensure that they or the companies /people they deal with act in an ethical way, and do not actually support in anyway the very thing that they are making money on.

All in all things in the UK have changed significantly over the past few years, and long may that continue.

One of Pride's overall messages is about inclusivity and diversity - albeit they have focussed on sexual politics for the most part.

Southern Rail have put the rainbow flag on their livery for a few years at Pride time. I find this quite a sick joke as their inclusivity policies can't even cater - in many cases - for disabled people who need to get on and off their trains.

So while there is now much normalising of the Pride message, where 30 years ago mainstream media would label gay rights as 'extremist', some are only too ready to jump on the bandwagon without getting their own house in order first.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of Pride's overall messages is about inclusivity and diversity - albeit they have focussed on sexual politics for the most part.

Southern Rail have put the rainbow flag on their livery for a few years at Pride time. I find this quite a sick joke as their inclusivity policies can't even cater - in many cases - for disabled people who need to get on and off their trains.

So while there is now much normalising of the Pride message, where 30 years ago mainstream media would label gay rights as 'extremist', some are only too ready to jump on the bandwagon without getting their own house in order first.

Usual criticism of SR at any time

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-48873931/is-the-high-street-profiting-from-pride

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a proliferation of rainbows, on shop fronts, banners, adverts, even my Barclay's on line app logo has changed from Blue to Rainbow, all "proudly supporting Pride" But , are they? Company logos all over have changed, and as Pride comes to various towns and cities, the high street , pubs, restaurants, hotels etc festoon themselves, falling over to show their LGBTQI + various other letters of the alphabet credentials

Supermarkets, Banks, Restaurant chains all proudly flying the flag informing us of what exactly? Other than increasing prices to make a quick pink buck, what have most of these companies actually done to support the non-hetro community? Basically what it means is they have done didlly squat, other than maybe got a PR missive saying you lucky gay types, we wont discriminate against you anymore- aren't we good, and you should all be grateful.

Am I alone in feeling that its seen by both small local and large national and multi national companies as just a way of promoting their brand, and basically they have no interest in anything other than that.

Loads of businesses in Brighton for example make a fortune on Pride weekend, (full bars and clubs, restaurants fully booked, hotels booked and prices increased)but very very few are prepared to actually contribute anything at all to the costs of running the thing that gives them a bumper weekend each August

As a gay man, I find it quite a bit off to see all this money spent by companies portraying their pink credentials, when in fact all they do is sprinkle a bit of fairy dust for a week, cash in, and then quite happily have nothing to do with us for the rest of the year.

Hasn’t Pride been taking money from private business for at least a decade?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The simpler view on this is large corporations would wear dog shit necklaces if it thought PR and sales would improve.

Of course they would. Thing is that would be ****ing stupid whereas Pride isn't, hence it will never happen, so I think you cynicism on this basis is misplaced.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m thinking of setting up a middle aged white straight male so called privileged club. We are the most unliked group in the world seemingly even though I don’t recall hurting anyone. It’s open season mind!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

This. Spot on about the double standards. Well said LO

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m thinking of setting up a middle aged white straight male so called privileged club. We are the most unliked group in the world seemingly even though I don’t recall hurting anyone. It’s open season mind!

I'm kind of not getting the point.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Hasn’t Pride been taking money from private business for at least a decade?

Pride has always been primarily a privately funded event, with the council adding some money by way of grants .Most of the original funding coming from fund raisers and donations by the gay venues in and around brighton. A lot of the larger supermarkets on St James street and other businesses(shops, restaurants, main hotels in the town) would happily cash in on the revenue they could make out of pride. but steadfastly refuse to help fund the event that they so happily cash in on. As a result pride simply could not pay for itself, despite being the biggest in the country. If all the businesses in town even paid 5% of the extra profits they get from this weekend over the other non pride weekends, pride would be awash with money

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Big business embracing it (milking any old cash cow) is surely what you want? Can’t have it both ways.

Except that little or no contribution is made to its running or, more pertinent, the charities the surplus supports. I think that's what [MENTION=33955]nickbrighton[/MENTION] is getting at. They could support in some way if they are embracing it with such enthusiasm. It's why it is no longer a free event (Although I think it's management and atmosphere has been better since charging).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Jesus wept, how are retarded ****wits like you allowed to still post on this board?
The mods have let NSC go to shite.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Jesus wept, how are retarded ****wits like you allowed to still post on this board?

Because he has an opinion and expressed it without swearing or insult. His opinion is as valid as yours and people will make their own minds up on both of them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Pride has always been primarily a privately funded event, with the council adding some money by way of grants .Most of the original funding coming from fund raisers and donations by the gay venues in and around brighton. A lot of the larger supermarkets on St James street and other businesses(shops, restaurants, main hotels in the town) would happily cash in on the revenue they could make out of pride. but steadfastly refuse to help fund the event that they so happily cash in on. As a result pride simply could not pay for itself, despite being the biggest in the country. If all the businesses in town even paid 5% of the extra profits they get from this weekend over the other non pride weekends, pride would be awash with money

Yeah, but last year it received circa £750k in sponsorship. The companies that sponsored are expecting a commercial result, or is that too much to expect?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Why would you need to set one up rather than just join one of the thousands of existing clubs that are full of middle aged white straight males?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Really? [MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]Clamp, so you think that white, middle aged males should only be allowed to post on here if they agree with you?

Is it wrong to be white? Well you seem to see it as a negative. Is it a crime to be middle aged? If the middle aged have an opinion that suits their demographic above others then you think that is wrong too. If nuclear/space war occurred between Earth and Mars you are one of those supporting the other side to appear ‘cool’.

Just sometimes people need to see/realise what side their bread is buttered on.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Really? [MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]Clamp, so you think that white, middle aged males should only be allowed to post on here if they agree with you?

I think his beef is with retarded ****wits, not white, middle aged males.

Is it wrong to be white? Well you seem to see it as a negative. Is it a crime to be middle aged? If the middle aged have an opinion that suits their demographic above others then you think that is wrong to?

That’s all in your mind, he didn’t suggest anything of the sort. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here