Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Urgent safety plea after 8 deaths in just 5 days on London's roads

0 Not allowed!
    Five motorcyclists, an elderly woman pedestrian and a car driver have also been killed since Sunday, taking the total number of road deaths to 64 this year.

They include 16 motorbike or scooter riders, many of them young Londoners, and 37 pedestrians. Last year road deaths fell to a record low of 110.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a4183196.html
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      ignore wrong stats
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Post now removed as incorrect.
      Try not to get your news from Trump, he'll make you look like a liar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48186035

There has been one fatal stabbing every 1.45 days so far this year in England and Wales. If killings continued at that rate for the rest of the year, the total would be slightly lower than the 285 stabbing deaths recorded in 2017-18.

Thirty of the fatal stabbings were in London, 10 in Greater Manchester and eight in the West Midlands.
      Last edited by Stat Brother; 05-07-2019 at 14:29.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Try not to get your news from Trump, he'll make you look like a liar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48186035

There has been one fatal stabbing every 1.45 days so far this year in England and Wales. If killings continued at that rate for the rest of the year, the total would be slightly lower than the 285 stabbing deaths recorded in 2017-18.

Thirty of the fatal stabbings were in London, 10 in Greater Manchester and eight in the West Midlands.
      I had already corrected before your post, thanks
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

1 Not allowed!
      Don't let motorcyclists on the road with L plates unless they are having lessons would be a start, make them pass their test first.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      I had already corrected before your post, thanks
      I'll hazard a guess there are plenty who would assume your original statement to be correct.

I only knew you were very wrong because @bashlsdir made the exact same point, last week.
      Unsurprisingly he didn't reply when shown just how wrong he'd been.

Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
      Not a comment on these specific incidents obviously, as I know nothing of the details. But from what I observe as I drive around:

1. The standard of driving / consideration for other road users seems to have deteriorated quite markedly over the past 5 years or so. Also I still see plenty of motorists using phones whilst driving, or even wearing headphones.

2. The number of cyclists I see wearing headphones / earphones whilst riding (or even holding and looking at their phone) is staggering and frankly pretty much like writing your own death certificate.

Put the above two factors together on the same piece of road at the same time and hey presto - multiple road deaths.
      Last edited by Bry Nylon; 05-07-2019 at 15:03.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      Not a comment on these specific incidents obviously, as I know nothing of the details. But from what I observe as I drive around:

1. The standard of driving / consideration for other road users seems to have deteriorated quite markedly over the past 5 years or so. Also I still see plenty of motorists using phones whilst driving, or even wearing headphones.

2. The number of cyclists I see wearing headphones / earphones whislt riding (or even holding and looking at their phone) is staggering and frankly pretty much like writing your own death certificate.

Put the above two factors together on the same piece of road at the same time and hey presto - multiple road deaths.
      Deffo.

I'll add to that the levels of safety that us car drivers enjoy goes someway to creating a feeling of invincibility, cocooned as we are in our luxury safe space.

Those numbers would suggest possibly only 1 or 2 of the fatalities come from behind the wheel (I assume because you can't get to life threatening speeds in London)

Only this morning, in my village, a Jewson's flat back lorry steamed (I genuinely mean steamed) through a red light.
      Perhaps the driver was distracted, perhaps he just missed the light, maybe he was late I don't know, but anyone watching the lights and trying to nip across the road during the change in sequence would have been killed.
      Luckily no one was.
      Everything is fine.
      The driver will have 'got away with one'.

But one day he might not.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Deffo.

I'll add to that the levels of safety that us car drivers enjoy goes someway to creating a feeling of invincibility, cocooned as we are in our luxury safe space.

Those numbers would suggest possibly only 1 or 2 of the fatalities come from behind the wheel (I assume because you can't get to life threatening speeds in London)

Only this morning, in my village, a Jewson's flat back lorry steamed (I genuinely mean steamed) through a red light.
      Perhaps the driver was distracted, perhaps he just missed the light, maybe he was late I don't know, but anyone watching the lights and trying to nip across the road during the change in sequence would have been killed.
      Luckily no one was.
      Everything is fine.
      The driver will have 'got away with one'.

But one day he might not.
      Did you phone their transport department ?

Edit ! - I suppose it's about corroboration so ignore that !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      Don't let motorcyclists on the road with L plates unless they are having lessons would be a start, make them pass their test first.
      Disagree, the frequency of claims for drivers on provisional licences is very low for both motorcyclists and car users. You'll find insurance premiums whilst learning are very cheap and sky rocket once drivers pass their tests.