Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter and the ‘Together’ ethos

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Wow the ultimate:-

GO BIG OR GO HOME, comment.

In all the decades prior to this season you have never, NEVER EVER, felt less enthusiastic than you do now?

I should have added in the close season. I have felt less enthusiastic during a season but not before a ball has been kicked.
Even at Priestfield I was enthusiastic and hopeful about the season ahead.
Some of that is simply the nature of the league we are in. The gap between the haves and have nots is bigger than in any league we have been in before - so even in league 2 I was hopeful we could win any game we played.
In 1995 I made sure my wedding did not clash with any games and made suer we were back from honeymoon before the season started. Every other year I have made sure I haven't booked a holiday before fixtures are out. This year I booked early and wasn't particularly bothered if it meant missing games.
I really hope I get my enthusiasm back when the season starts but at the moment really not feeling it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I feel genuinely sorry for the likes of GP, and CH before him, who are under contract to spout bolleaux for public consumption when really they mostly have nothing to say. Must be one of the less appealing aspects of the job.

100% the same goes for player interviews. While appreciating that the official site has to fill its pages with something, it's never anything but North Korea-esque gushing stuff on the whole, with any negatives largely danced around. Would be marvellous to see some brutally honest interviews for once: "Well if Knockaert had actually passed the ball into the box for once rather than shooting from 30 yards out we might have got a result today" (G Murray) etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ispout bolleaux for public consumption when really they mostly have nothing to say. Must be one of the less appealing aspects of the job.

I have never found this task unappealing. It’s what gets me out of bed every morning.

I should have added in the close season. I have felt less enthusiastic during a season but not before a ball has been kicked.
Even at Priestfield I was enthusiastic and hopeful about the season ahead.
Some of that is simply the nature of the league we are in. The gap between the haves and have nots is bigger than in any league we have been in before - so even in league 2 I was hopeful we could win any game we played.
In 1995 I made sure my wedding did not clash with any games and made suer we were back from honeymoon before the season started. Every other year I have made sure I haven't booked a holiday before fixtures are out. This year I booked early and wasn't particularly bothered if it meant missing games.
I really hope I get my enthusiasm back when the season starts but at the moment really not feeling it.

Did you book your holiday before or after CH was dismissed ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Care to elaborate?

What’s the point?

Oh, okay then, Chris was going to lead us to almost certain relegation IMHO... 3 wins in 23 and dire performances backs up my opinion. What, exactly, makes you think otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Sorry - my mistake I thought this was a discussion forum.

Fair enough... take another look [emoji102]...

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
What’s the point?

Oh, okay then, Chris was going to lead us to almost certain relegation IMHO... 3 wins in 23 and dire performances backs up my opinion. What, exactly, makes you think otherwise?

I think otherwise because CH (as far as I am aware) has never been relegated from the Premier League.
We were awful since Jan BUT this was when we changed formation. The 4411 worked first half of the season and again at the very end of the season when we went back to it.
I felt he had identified what had gone wrong and would not have made the same mistakes again the next season.
I have seen the amazing football he can produce when he has players capable (last 2 years in the Championship) and feel that with a few additions he could have improved the style of football (possibly slowly) to at least what we saw in the first Premier League season.
Also I think a key reason for our failure last season were the injuries to Gross and Izquierdo - two of our most creative players from the season before. With these 2 players available next season (or with Trossard) I don't think we would have been in the same situation.
I think he is an experienced manager and that experience would have helped keep us up.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I think otherwise because CH (as far as I am aware) has never been relegated from the Premier League.
We were awful since Jan BUT this was when we changed formation. The 4411 worked first half of the season and again at the very end of the season when we went back to it.
I felt he had identified what had gone wrong and would not have made the same mistakes again the next season.
I have seen the amazing football he can produce when he has players capable (last 2 years in the Championship) and feel that with a few additions he could have improved the style of football (possibly slowly) to at least what we saw in the first Premier League season.
Also I think a key reason for our failure last season were the injuries to Gross and Izquierdo - two of our most creative players from the season before. With these 2 players available next season (or with Trossard) I don't think we would have been in the same situation.
I think he is an experienced manager and that experience would have helped keep us up.

I don't think you went to that many games. Clearly went to no away games.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

I agree with the formation change, but it took far, far too long. Chris’s intransigence in not going back to 4-4-1-1 much quicker nearly got us relegated. That is on him, believe me. In fact, it is part of the reason he got sacked. All squads get injuries. The key point is we went through a few windows without finding a Gross competitor, and Chris is also partly, only partly mind, to blame for that.

He had to go. He went. Move on.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I agree with the formation change, but it took far, far too long. Chris’s intransigence in not going back to 4-4-1-1 much quicker nearly got us relegated. That is on him, believe me. In fact, it is part of the reason he got sacked. All squads get injuries. The key point is we went through a few windows without finding a Gross competitor, and Chris is also partly, only partly mind, to blame for that.

He had to go. He went. Move on.

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that.
I do feel CH was let down by not being given an alternative to Gross.

In terms of moving on I have said several times that I will be 100% behind Potter BUT that does not mean I will not comment when people criticise one of the best (the best in my opinion) managers we have ever had for ridiculous reasons (such as not saying WE in press conferences which is where I came in on this thread).
CH is not beyond criticism - we both agree he should have changed back to 4411 far earlier for example. I can understand the criticism of him not being attacking enough what I can't understand is the constant sniping at CH and criticism of him for things beyond his control (for example saw someone saying he should have used Molumby more this season - despite the fact he was injured all year and was on the bench before he even returned for the u23s)
He deserves far more respect for what he achieved in is 4 1/2 years imho

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Don't necessarily disagree with any of that.
I do feel CH was let down by not being given an alternative to Gross.

In terms of moving on I have said several times that I will be 100% behind Potter BUT that does not mean I will not comment when people criticise one of the best (the best in my opinion) managers we have ever had for ridiculous reasons (such as not saying WE in press conferences which is where I came in on this thread).
CH is not beyond criticism - we both agree he should have changed back to 4411 far earlier for example. I can understand the criticism of him not being attacking enough what I can't understand is the constant sniping at CH and criticism of him for things beyond his control (for example saw someone saying he should have used Molumby more this season - despite the fact he was injured all year and was on the bench before he even returned for the u23s)
He deserves far more respect for what he achieved in is 4 1/2 years imho

Agreed 100%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here