Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter and the ‘Together’ ethos

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Of course it’s early doors but I am really liking all the things Potter has been saying in the media and on the club website so far. Using a lot of ‘we’ and ‘us’ when he speaks about himself and the club, as well as continuing the ‘together’ ethos that perhaps got a little bit lost when things got patchy last year.

No doubt the walk is more important than the talk, and we’ll soon get a chance to judge that, but everything so far sounds good and seems a bit more than the usual cliche diatribe from new managers.

As GP as said, making the Amex a fortress again is imperative, even if we won just one 2 of those important home games in the final stretch last season things would have been comfortable and perhaps CH would still be here (although it seems his sacking went deeper than the final results).

Anyone else impressed or am I just easily pleased?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Impressed. Seems a clear no nonsense sort of communicator. The stuff he is saying resonates for sure. Can't see him being the sort to endlessly blow smoke out the oppositions behind.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea if next season will be a reasonable success or a complete disaster, so am grateful for ANY positive talk.

This really. He may be eloquent, positive and saying all the things we want to hear. However, talk is cheap and guarantees nothing.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It would appear that GPott doesn't suffer fools gladly where I felt towards the end of Hughtons reign he did start to gladly suffer fools.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
It would appear that GPott doesn't suffer fools gladly where I felt towards the end of Hughtons reign he did start to gladly suffer fools.

I got the impression a ‘clique’ within the squad started to form last season. Eliminating that and bringing the squad back together will be a great first step towards further improvement, that’s before we talk about new signings and tactics on the pitch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel genuinely sorry for the likes of GP, and CH before him, who are under contract to spout bolleaux for public consumption when really they mostly have nothing to say. Must be one of the less appealing aspects of the job.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I feel genuinely sorry for the likes of GP, and CH before him, who are under contract to spout bolleaux for public consumption when really they mostly have nothing to say. Must be one of the less appealing aspects of the job.

It’s part and parcel. Attitude, mindset and confidence is a massive part of any professional sport, and shouldn’t be understated. Creating a positive environment is worth more than any £20 million signing.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I am excited too. I really believe the likes of Ali J, Jurgen L and Florin A will be seen to great effect this season plus the new signings, Dullard in particular, only whets my appetite even more......

Bring it on.....

TNBA

TTF

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Best time of the year now.

New gaffer, new optimism. Brand new start if you like, friendlies starting, sh1tehouse players from last term with a chance to prove if they're any good, positive soundbites.

Just looking forward to a sunny day out at Watford, and on from there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Everything I have heard from Potter sounds like what he was told the club wants from their new manager at his job interview. Most of it is the opposite of Chrissie's approach, outlook and attitude. I have no problem with that.

Reminds me of when we signed Wayne Henderson. Calamity Wayne highlighted Michel Kuipers' weaknesses, particularly distribution, and made clear they were Hendo's strengths. Blatant, clumsy and transparently obvious from Henderson who I hated from that point on and who's own weaknesses saw us relegated.

I find it funny that Potter is so obviously stating the club's post Hughton objectives as his own, but in this case recognise that they chime with his previous record and style are indeed an identikit of what many fans and I suspect the board want from the new manager.

Nonetheless, I look forward to some more original content from Potter once he gets to know the lads.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course it’s early doors but I am really liking all the things Potter has been saying in the media and on the club website so far. Using a lot of ‘we’ and ‘us’ when he speaks about himself and the club, as well as continuing the ‘together’ ethos that perhaps got a little bit lost when things got patchy last year.

No doubt the walk is more important than the talk, and we’ll soon get a chance to judge that, but everything so far sounds good and seems a bit more than the usual cliche diatribe from new managers.

As GP as said, making the Amex a fortress again is imperative, even if we won just one 2 of those important home games in the final stretch last season things would have been comfortable and perhaps CH would still be here (although it seems his sacking went deeper than the final results).

Anyone else impressed or am I just easily pleased?

I noticed this as well - CH very rarely, if ever did from memory - he was more 'this club' etc. May have been just his manner of speaking though..........................like others, maybe my blind pre-season optimism is exacerbating anything that looks remotely positive. Bring on Watford :D:D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm feeling moist and erect at the same time.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I noticed this as well - CH very rarely, if ever did from memory - he was more 'this club' etc. May have been just his manner of speaking though..........................like others, maybe my blind pre-season optimism is exacerbating anything that looks remotely positive. Bring on Watford :D:D

I noticed that too with CH. Probably self preservation having had his fingers burnt so many times before. Only towards the end he started saying "we" with a little more confidence. Then look what happened! Christ, who'd be a football manager?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Outside the top 6 (maybe 8/9 if you include Everton, West Ham and Leicester with their spending power) all of the other teams are operating at a similar level. That’s where the ethos a positive manager can bring can really make a big difference, the difference between finishing 10th or 15th.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Everything I've read/heard from him have been the sort of standard comments that anyone who listened to their/the clubs pr person would come out with. Fans upset about defensive football? "We're hoping to be much more attacking", Fans upset at not even giving it a go against big six? "We have to believe anything can happen", not enough points won at home? "We want to make the amex a fortress again".

Doesn't tell me anything about the guy except he's good at the media game, at least when there's not much going on.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's all a bit of an unknown.

However I'm excited for the coming season to see which current and new players make their mark. Much as I loved him I think CH took us as far as he could and everything seemed to be a repeat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here