Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] R.I.P John McCririck

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've heard exactly this (from two separate, unconnected employees of a well known airline)

Thank goodness at least one of my evidently carelessly-tossed arrows has hit a deserving target :facepalm::thumbsup:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Jeremy Beadle...Are you sure ?

Met him a couple of times and a cracking bloke, a quick look on Wiki estimates his total charitable fund raising to be around £100 million...

What do you know you put him on that list ?

And he was the first festival promoter to bring Captain Beefheart to the UK. Putting him on the list with Jimmy Savile is a little harsh :D

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Met him at Goodwood Hotel a few times.
He wasn't too bad at all, but The Booby was a witch. Not quite how you'd expect it to be but pretty sure anyone else who met them both would agree.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
He wasn't too bad at all, but The Booby was a witch. Not quite how you'd expect it to be but pretty sure anyone else who met them both would agree.

I met him, must be 30 years ago. He was doing an opening of a Sam Harris betting shop in upper Lewes Rd. He was as loud and as mad as he appeared on TV.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've never met him so cannot comment on him as a person, but his 'persona' was that of a man who belonged in the 70's. Having been a child in the 70's i can relate to his mindset through experience, but can't say it's 'right'

Either way, he's brown bread - so I wish him well in the afterlife and hope he's at a race track in the sky flapping his arms about and thoroughly enjoying himself. :) RIP fella.

Jul 7, 2003
Saw him a couple of years ago at Plumpton and he was looking very unwell then so not surprised he has passed away. Prior to that he was promoting a book at Fontwell and wouldn't sign anything that wasn't the book which upset a lot of people.

He was a very good journalist for the old Sporting Life paper and won several awards but his role on the TV was very much him playing up to the TV image. Love him or loathe him he brought something different to the previously cosy racing TV coverage and led a number of campaigns to get better deals for punters.

As for the sexist image, this seems to be driven from the poor reality TV choices he made after he was removed from mainstream TV racing. He tried to play his character and it didn't work for him. To get a better idea, here is a quote from Alice Plunkett on the ATR website this evening talking about how he supported bringing women into the TV racing business:

"“He was just a genuine supporter of young people, women – weirdly. What people saw and what he actually was were a long away apart. He was great to Tanya (Stephenson), he was great to me and I’ll always be so grateful as to how he looked after me when I started out and knew nothing.

“He was a great journalist. He never, ever came to work unprepared. He was such a worker. All that flap and nonsense was one thing, but he turned up every day with so much background work.
“He knew exactly what was going on. In the end he probably became a caricature of himself."

RIP

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really into racing (or betting) at all, bar the odd incredible horse such as Dessie or Frankel. But I loved the C4 years of McCririck, Tommo and the team. Charismatic, humorous, all experts in their ‘field’.

Not a time to slag off or laugh at a person who’s just passed away.

RIP.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
John McCririck has sadly died.

His funeral service will leave his house at 10/1
Followed by burial at his local graveyard at 5/2
Refreshments at the local working men’s club at 5/4

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Saw him a couple of years ago at Plumpton and he was looking very unwell then so not surprised he has passed away. Prior to that he was promoting a book at Fontwell and wouldn't sign anything that wasn't the book which upset a lot of people.

He was a very good journalist for the old Sporting Life paper and won several awards but his role on the TV was very much him playing up to the TV image. Love him or loathe him he brought something different to the previously cosy racing TV coverage and led a number of campaigns to get better deals for punters.

As for the sexist image, this seems to be driven from the poor reality TV choices he made after he was removed from mainstream TV racing. He tried to play his character and it didn't work for him. To get a better idea, here is a quote from Alice Plunkett on the ATR website this evening talking about how he supported bringing women into the TV racing business:

"“He was just a genuine supporter of young people, women – weirdly. What people saw and what he actually was were a long away apart. He was great to Tanya (Stephenson), he was great to me and I’ll always be so grateful as to how he looked after me when I started out and knew nothing.

“He was a great journalist. He never, ever came to work unprepared. He was such a worker. All that flap and nonsense was one thing, but he turned up every day with so much background work.
“He knew exactly what was going on. In the end he probably became a caricature of himself."

RIP

Oh right an accurate, reflective comment from someone who actually knew and worked with the bloke rather than twatty comments from a load of bellends on NSC.
This thread has been good for the ignore list.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

RIP John. I didn’t meet you but you made me chuckle on the TV.

I sat next to your wife at the hairdressers once and we had a lovely chat. She had a Labrador with her who curled up and slept at my feet after I petted him. I had no idea who she was until the hairdresser told me after she left!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I sat next to your wife at the hairdressers once and we had a lovely chat. She had a Labrador with her who curled up and slept at my feet after I petted him. I had no idea who she was until the hairdresser told me after she left!

Great story bro.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I did fancy going to his funeral and we were going to get a cab there and back.

Its £ 50 Each Way ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

RIP

[tweet]385005417086353408[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/callummay/status/385005417086353408

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think that's over-reading into my post. My point was that the telly seemed to tolerate 'characters' far too easily in the past, with the subject of this thread being one. I added Savile as an extreme example to illustrate the point that the appointments were somewhat eccentric to say the least, with employers easily dazzled by 'characters' without much regard for their foibles. I was not putting anyone in the one particular bracket occupied by Savile that you seem to infer. As far as the man himself is concerned (Moore) he used his celebrity to promote his views, and there is a difference between being a bit old school and being a political campaigner for a fringe lunatic neo-nazi party (etc etc). Being lovely and polite to white men, and undoubtedly courteous to white women does not make a person beyond criticism.

You mentioned Moore and Savile in the same post whereas they were not the same at all!

No obviously he's not beyond criticism and if I'd known him better I might have argued with him. After all, I don't share the political views of everybody I've ever met or worked with. But outside his barking mad political views he was polite and never played the "I'm a celebrity y'know!" card. I can't say the same about every famous (or thinks they're famous) person I've ever met. (And I have met a few, again mainly through music). For me politeness and respect in personal situations do count for something, I can think of some left-wing people I've met who have behaved like complete ********s.

EDIT: Oh, the colloquial name for a rectum fails the swear filter!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Patrick Moore was well loved and respected in Selsey, where he lived for much of his life.
Yes, he was eccentric and not all would agree with his views.
He was, of course, well known in the village, approachable and always had time to talk to people.
Behind his bluster, he was a kind and thoughtful man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here