NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D-qrF7SWwAAb9Ai.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's hope it lives to see it's 72nd. I fear Brexit may be a mortal blow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've got the NHS thanks to the EU? Funny, I thought we invented it ages before the Common Market was a gleam in some europhile's eye. I don't know of any EU legislation that has prevented us from closing it down either..............................

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We've got the NHS thanks to the EU? Funny, I thought we invented it ages before the Common Market was a gleam in some europhile's eye. I don't know of any EU legislation that has prevented us from closing it down either..............................

I agree totally with you that no credit should be given to the EU for the creation of the NHS, our greatest invention of the twentieth century.

Equally I fear for its future in the hands of Johnson/Hunt as they wish to extend the creeping tide of private sector involvement, leaving just the non profitable elements in public ownership.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Happy birthday NHS, I just hope it will survive the Transatlantic trade deal we keep bring told will be wonderful, and still be recognisable for my kids and grand-kids as it was for my generation. If the Tories win another election, I dont hold out much hope of that, sadly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree totally with you that no credit should be given to the EU for the creation of the NHS, our greatest invention of the twentieth century.

Equally I fear for its future in the hands of Johnson/Hunt as they wish to extend the creeping tide of private sector involvement, leaving just the non profitable elements in public ownership.
This. It'll go something like this:

Eventually, some Tory at some point will decide that the NHS can't go on funding absolutely everything and that none of us should worry because a basic level of care will always be available. Then the blue-rinse Tory media will go on a sustained offensive, backing up this assertion over a number of years (much as it did over the EU and continues to do over the BBC/TV License) until the rump of the population deems the NHS as an all encompassing safety net is no longer sustainable.

Then we'll move to an American model for everything except the bits that are cheapest to run. Meanwhile, this nation will always seem to find money for flimsy right-wing vanity projects not unlike Brexit, including more tax cuts for the richest. And of course anyone who dares to suggest we scale back armed forces spending while this bollocks is going on will be deemed a traitor.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Something to make you really proud of being British and something worth 'believing in' :thumbsup:

Sadly, I'm not sure for how much longer because in amongst Brexit, USA trade deals, Tax cuts for the richest, re-introducing Fox hunting and cutting the sugar tax (ironically) it seems to be a very low priority for any future PM :down:

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes it great, my mum has a problem with her leg and she can hardly walk at the moment, she has an appointment for a scan ..................... in September, before they can even start to treat her.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes it great, my mum has a problem with her leg and she can hardly walk at the moment, she has an appointment for a scan ..................... in September, before they can even start to treat her.

Exactly, that's what happens when the Government try to run it down, before drip feeding their new (insurance based) model

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the principle of NHS as in the quote above is based on state pays, so does it matter who provides the service? the largest private provider BUPA is a not for profit, as are many other providers. abroad they have mixed private/public provision and mixed private/public insurance contributions. so why should we fear change and private involvement in our healthcare?

no one wants to go to the US model, even the Americans dont want it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My dad set started off as a GP just before the NHS was founded and then worked as an NHS doctor for a further 50 years.
He saw a few changes; none for the better as far as GP services are nowadays!

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
the principle of NHS as in the quote above is based on state pays, so does it matter who provides the service? the largest private provider BUPA is a not for profit, as are many other providers. abroad they have mixed private/public provision and mixed private/public insurance contributions. so why should we fear change and private involvement in our healthcare?

no one wants to go to the US model, even the Americans dont want it.

We should fear change because the NHS is the most efficient model of healthcare BY FAR. We spend half the amount on healthcare that Americans do, and yet every single one of us is covered. Sure it has it's problems, and there are patches of the nation where coverage isn't good enough, but ultimately its accountability to the state means it will always be better than any sort of private model.

What it all means is that if you have the wrong type of cancer, you'll get treated as best possible. You won't be told "sorry sir/ma'am, clause 43.2.6 stipulates we don't cover if you tell us 3 hours later than you should have done, and didn't have a check up 14 years ago".

On the other hand, American hospitals have terribly nice carpets and air con - so it's not all bad news going to a full private model.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This. It isn't anything to do with the EU directly, but the fact that Brexit has led us to a place where Hunt and Johnson, two people who have openly been against the NHS, are up for PM of this country. It's a bloody travesty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We should fear change because the NHS is the most efficient model of healthcare BY FAR. We spend half the amount on healthcare that Americans do, and yet every single one of us is covered. Sure it has it's problems, and there are patches of the nation where coverage isn't good enough, but ultimately its accountability to the state means it will always be better than any sort of private model.

is it? very much depends how you measure efficient, we are certainly among the best, but we hear that the French, Germans, Swedish are better. they all feature mixed provision, mixed funding. our system has room for improvement.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
PARTY!!!

I'm going to celebrate by necking 20-25 pills, inhaling some drugs and jacking up on insulin.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
.......... at some point will decide that the NHS can't go on funding absolutely everything.............

I do believe that there needs to be a grown-up debate / study into current NHS performance and a cross party solutions for all the issues in a bloated service

for example should the tax payer be expected to pay for plastic surgery to fix the loopy holes in ear lubes of lifestyle types who cannot get a job on the grounds of appearance ?
how about fines for missed appointments to help fund late appointments for people that work surgery hours
and A&E minimum charge for drink drug induced issues
health toristists - it would good to see the difference for example of the money sent to spain for expate treatment, verses the money from spain to treat spanish citizens here
the office of staistics needs to get involved and work out where the fundings is needed i.e 1 doctor per 5000 people, 1 hostpital with A&E per area of 250k etc - dig out the ratios when the NHS service was at it's peak say 1986 and see what investment is needed

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This. It isn't anything to do with the EU directly, but the fact that Brexit has led us to a place where Hunt and Johnson, two people who have openly been against the NHS, are up for PM of this country. It's a bloody travesty.

Are they against the NHS?
They may believe reforms are necessary, but I don't believe they are 'against' the NHS.
Oh well, whatever you may believe, had the Labour Party not fallen into the hands of extremists who are deemed unelectable by most in the country, there would be a viable opposition to the present Government and those deemed to be anti NHS,wouldn't there!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
is it? very much depends how you measure efficient, we are certainly among the best, but we hear that the French, Germans, Swedish are better. they all feature mixed provision, mixed funding. our system has room for improvement.
No we don't. The French system is nowhere near as good as ours. According to our French relatives, you have to pay for some treatments and then claim it back - which is predictably awkward. God help you if you are vulnerable and without support.

I'm sure there are tweaks we could make, but I'd rather this was done from the position that the public service aspect trumps absolutely everything, including fairly trivial financial savings that some mixed funding shangri-la might provide.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are they against the NHS?
They may believe reforms are necessary, but I don't believe they are 'against' the NHS.
Oh well, whatever you may believe, had the Labour Party not fallen into the hands of extremists who are deemed unelectable by most in the country, there would be a viable opposition to the present Government and those deemed to be anti NHS,wouldn't there!

The sad fact is that this government has done more damage to this country in the past 7 years or so than Corbyn would probably ever be allowed to do. And I can't stand Corbyn.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The sad fact is that this government has done more damage to this country in the past 7 years or so than Corbyn would probably ever be allowed to do. And I can't stand Corbyn.

Once again Simster, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Anyway, have a good weekend in sunny Reigate; my wife is back up there today to visit her mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here