Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Students of Albion who don't go to Seagull away matches...

the second biggest Football Club in Brighton
Is it true that in the 1970s, Whitehawk's was the only enclosed football ground in the whole of Brighton? I think the University of Sussex played in the Southern Counties Combination with the likes of Wadhurst and APV Athletic but I'm not sure that was enclosed-ground standard.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a load of old bollocks. :shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just one drawback........ we support the Albion, not Whitehawk.

Try your advertising elsewhere

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I haven't looked at the Whitehawk fixtures, but are they playing at home when the Albion are away for every match?

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
You can support the club you're brought up with, and enjoy going to the local community club too... There's absolutely no conflict in terms of support IMHO - The support you give to your football club is unwavering, but as you know there are thousands of non-league/ grassroots football clubs in the country, and we're all trying our best to survive...The post is there for you to consider going to your local non-league football club sometimes, emphasising that it doesn't cost much to do so...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Is it true that in the 1970s, Whitehawk's was the only enclosed football ground in the whole of Brighton? I think the University of Sussex played in the Southern Counties Combination with the likes of Wadhurst and APV Athletic but I'm not sure that was enclosed-ground standard.
Depends on the definition of enclosed ground I guess. It certainly had a metal railing round the pitch and they had a gate to go though at which you could be charged to go in. It was used a lot for local cup finals where they could charge families to see their relatives to watch them in a final. Was a bit of a barren place with a stand one side and, for the times, decent changing rooms with plunge baths etc. Not the most attractive of venues however.
That said, I am not sure if there were many, if any, other clubs in Brighton and Hove playing in the lower echelons of league football. Not sure whether any football was being played at Withdean at the time - that always was the other properly enclosed ground to the Goldstone.

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
I haven't looked at the Whitehawk fixtures, but are they playing at home when the Albion are away for every match?

Our fixtures are out next Thursday, and usually there are just two or three times during the season when the two play at home at the same time...As for home and away, because the Premier League play Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, there's every chance that there'll be hardly any clashes...

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018

"Brighton's Premier Non-League Football Club"...

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018
Depends on the definition of enclosed ground I guess. It certainly had a metal railing round the pitch and they had a gate to go though at which you could be charged to go in. It was used a lot for local cup finals where they could charge families to see their relatives to watch them in a final. Was a bit of a barren place with a stand one side and, for the times, decent changing rooms with plunge baths etc. Not the most attractive of venues however.
That said, I am not sure if there were many, if any, other clubs in Brighton and Hove playing in the lower echelons of league football. Not sure whether any football was being played at Withdean at the time - that always was the other properly enclosed ground to the Goldstone.

I think it refers to league position... Despite being way over 150 places below the Albion in the league structure/ pyramid... Technically we are still the next club in the pyramid... 'Brighton's Second Biggest Football Club' is much better than 'The Estate Club' ... and way better than "Brighton City"...:laugh:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Brighton Ladies FC were certainly playing at Withdean in the 80s. A team that included Julie Hemsley who was the first woman to be appointed to the FA Council. And a more than decent player she was too. Now coaching in the US I believe

Hawks and Seagulls

Aug 2, 2018

Our season fixtures are out on Thursday, and generally they don't match... Albion play across the weekend now, so although there may be a couple of times that they clash, not that often... There are so many choices to visit local non-league games during a prem season, and to have that freedom of having a beer out on the terraces, decent food (new menu at The Hawks next term!), few quality craft ales watching decent level, is something all Prem club fans should embrace... It's your community as well...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can support the club you're brought up with, and enjoy going to the local community club too... There's absolutely no conflict in terms of support IMHO - The support you give to your football club is unwavering, but as you know there are thousands of non-league/ grassroots football clubs in the country, and we're all trying our best to survive...The post is there for you to consider going to your local non-league football club sometimes, emphasising that it doesn't cost much to do so...

This is pretty much what l do in effect. On non Albion home match days l'm generally to be found down at Gorings Mead rniing the gate for Horsham YMCA in the Southern Combination League.

I think in doing that l am giving a little bit back to the local community, and I find supporting and getting involved with a local non league club a totally different, but equally satisfying an experience as watching the Albion in the Premier League, where you are just a number amongst thirty odd thousand watching the game.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

No, the post was there to buy a season ticket, was it not?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I try to watch at least 1 game a season at Whitehawk, Burgess Hill,Lewes and Worthing. Football at first 2 was dire last season. Sorry to say Whitehawk is my least favourite. Nothing wrong with ambition but bit put of by there ideas of grandeur few seasons ago and what stupid money they were paying very ordinary players on 300 gates. Do you still have same owners ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Our season fixtures are out on Thursday, and generally they don't match... Albion play across the weekend now, so although there may be a couple of times that they clash, not that often... There are so many choices to visit local non-league games during a prem season, and to have that freedom of having a beer out on the terraces, decent food (new menu at The Hawks next term!), few quality craft ales watching decent level, is something all Prem club fans should embrace... It's your community as well...

Thanks.
I have actually been to many Whitehawk matches including some aways.
The reason for my question is, on some weeks the Albion have been playing at an away I can't get to, or not on a Saturday afternoon, I have looked at the non league fixtures and seen Hawks were also away, and on some occasions some of the non league teams I sometimes watch have also been away.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Used to go quite a lot before I could afford an Albion season ticket, this was when the side gate used to be opened at HT and you could sneak in for free. Even had my 18th party at the Clubhouse at Whitehawk many moons ago! The memories!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Usually manage about 5 or 6 games a season at Whitehawk. Usually good fun despite the quality of the football!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hello Hawks and Seagulls. Well done for drumming up support for local non league football, every right thinking Brighton fan (there's not loads of those here though) will wish you well in your endeavours. Ignore the snooty comments about the fixtures not always marrying up (it's 4 quid a game for crying out loud and how many Saturday 3 o'clocks do we actually get?) and ignore the snobbish comments about the quality of football. Not many of those people were supporting us when we had Jason Peake and Jamie Campbell turning out for us. Personally I try to get along to watch Southwick when Albion fixtures and my Mrs allow it, so won't take on a 3rd team, but like I say ... all the best

A season ticket at the second biggest Football Club in Brighton is just £75...

That's £3.95 per match to get in…

Get in.

whitehawkfc.ktckts.com
(until july 14)

/Users/kevinmiller/Desktop/student season ticket poster.pages

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here