Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeagullCrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually don't think we performed that well in the first half of the season either, if I'm honest. We went on a remarkable run of form, but we were over-achieving compared to the performances we were putting on. I could be wrong, but the number of attempts on goal was pretty woeful in the early part of the season as well - it's just that Murray was remarkably efficient with the rather modest number of attempts that we made at that time. Granted, there was the odd game in which we were quite impressive (Man U and Palace at home), but those matches only served to paper over the cracks.
    That argument whilst an easy one to make simply doesn't hold up. Simply put over the course of a 38 game season you end up in a position that you deserve to be in.
    Lets all do the conga

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I actually don't think we performed that well in the first half of the season either, if I'm honest. We went on a remarkable run of form, but we were over-achieving compared to the performances we were putting on. I could be wrong, but the number of attempts on goal was pretty woeful in the early part of the season as well - it's just that Murray was remarkably efficient with the rather modest number of attempts that we made at that time. Granted, there was the odd game in which we were quite impressive (Man U and Palace at home), but those matches only served to paper over the cracks.
      Yep...chickens came home to roost in the second half when everyone worked out how to play against us, then we went into a downward spiral as confidence evaporated
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pishhead View Post
      That argument whilst an easy one to make simply doesn't hold up. Simply put over the course of a 38 game season you end up in a position that you deserve to be in.
      But isn't that the point? We deserved to finish where we did over the course of the 38 games *because* we were poor all season (rather than just the second-half). Our general performance throughout the season merited us flirting with relegation (if not outright relegation itself).
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      But isn't that the point? We deserved to finish where we did over the course of the 38 games *because* we were poor all season (rather than just the second-half). Our general performance throughout the season merited us flirting with relegation (if not outright relegation itself).
      it does but you see it so often a club that has a mare 2nd half of the season and then limps to relegation the next. Huddersfield being a prime example.

I do think we are going to go more youth and of course be prudent where we can ( makes sense with the GP appointment ) but our squad at the moment would see us relegated.

Plenty of time to get some quality in though

** edit quite calm about it , never thought we would stay there 2 seasons so if we go after the 3rd , so be it. Championship is great fun and we are built on good foundations to have another decentish season if we drop , no dramas , if its over then its over. Not like we are dropping to oblivion is it.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
      it does but you see it so often a club that has a mare 2nd half of the season and then limps to relegation the next. Huddersfield being a prime example.

I do think we are going to go more youth and of course be prudent where we can ( makes sense with the GP appointment ) but our squad at the moment would see us relegated.

agreed re younger hungrier squad and yes we definitely need 3-4 decent additions to keep us up...Lets face it Bissouma injured/Jose Injured and whos to say when they will be back to normal? add to that aging Glenn Murray etc we are hardly well stocked up front (best we get is 60 mins from him now)

Naturally lots of people pushing for Connolly/Molumby etc to play, however TB states only involved IF good enough, and currently these guys need more experience (like Ben White)

As things stand I can hardly see any difference to last years first 11 and that is worrying?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I seem to remember a good few games before xmas last season where we lost or drew, but we actually played quite well. Especially against big 6 teams

Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
      Absolutely. Even those two games mentioned could have been very different outcomes too. Especially the palace game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
      Absolutely. Even those two games mentioned could have been very different outcomes too. Especially the palace game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      Sounds like you think we deserved to lose all 38 games last season bar perhaps Man Utd. Yep ?
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
      We are not talking about waiting for one signing from last year to come good, but talking about how 4 or 5 will all suddenly become premier league standard with a new manager in place. I would suggest that is extremely unlikely and a massive gamble if that is what the club are doing. I also don't really care that Liverpool and such like have only signed one player, lets be frank they will be ok whatever. We on the other hand were, from Xmas onwards, absolutely awful and cant go into a full season with the squad as it was. I will say that however good Potter may be, we don't have the squad currently to survive. Running as we are is a massive gamble and one I cant see them taking. I hope things are progressing quickly behind the scenes.
      Exactly this - lets hope the club are not thinking that somehow Potter can 'polish a turd' because to be absolute honest we have 4/5 players who aren't up to Prem level based on their performances last season - they're way off the pace. I hope we have at least 2/3 new First Team signings lined up otherwise we'll be heading down to the Championship
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post

** edit quite calm about it , never thought we would stay there 2 seasons so if we go after the 3rd , so be it. Championship is great fun and we are built on good foundations to have another decentish season if we drop , no dramas , if its over then its over. Not like we are dropping to oblivion is it.
      Try telling Tony you are okay with relegation. You do realise the financial implications!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We will rise again at Falmer... like a phoenix from the ashes of the Goldstone RIP...
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by b.w.2. View Post
      Try telling Tony you are okay with relegation. You do realise the financial implications!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This is why I am quite relaxed about it. It’s not my money and I am desperate to be able to enjoy watching us play again. If TB is confident enough not to strengthen the positions we are all crying out to be strengthened then so be it. He has made one absolute ricket in appointing Hyypia and not strengthening. What are the chances he’ll make the same mistake on both fronts again?.

I hope and expect that we’ll make some more signings but if we don’t I am hoping for a bit more entertainment even if we do go down. Staying in the PL is much more important to TB than it is for me so he’ll do his best to keep us there, we’ll just have to trust him.
      Winners never quit and quitters never win -Vince Lombardi