Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I don't think bloom is the type of chairman to spend big on a replacement. If there isn't obvious value in a players resale in 3/4 years then we wouldn't consider them and we won't be paying much more than £20m for anybody

If you're talking about Dunk, maybe we have bought his replacement already.

I'm thinking we might splash out on a top quality centre midfielder and or Striker. If we had a sudden windfall.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
we won't pay the wages of anyone who costs more than about 20M, imo

There's lots of good players in France, Italy and Germany who dont earn anywhere near the £45k a week we pay Dunk and Knockaert.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There's lots of good players in France, Italy and Germany who dont earn anywhere near the £45k a week we pay Dunk and Knockaert.

They will expect to earn similar to that in England when transferring for a fee up to 20M.

The previous poster is correct, once you start paying more than that for a fee then wages increase in turn.

We have a (dare I say it) ceiling now with our wage structure, where we will only ever attract a certain calibre of player unless a gamble pays off.

With 2 years of PL status in the bag and the permitted increase in wage budget that comes with that, we could comfortably pay higher salaries without risking the club's future.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
When we actually did try playing an attacking game last season I thought we did ok, the problem was the lack of intent. When we went for it we didn't look that bad. Tactics were our undoing. That won't be the case this season.

I can see us being the surprise package this season.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
They will expect to earn similar to that in England when transferring for a fee up to 20M.

The previous poster is correct, once you start paying more than that for a fee then wages increase in turn.

We have a (dare I say it) ceiling now with our wage structure, where we will only ever attract a certain calibre of player unless a gamble pays off.

With 2 years of PL status in the bag and the permitted increase in wage budget that comes with that, we could comfortably pay higher salaries without risking the club's future.

If they were on €20k a week in Europe, and command a fee of £30m, then I would expect a weekly deal of £45k plus bonuses would be enough to entice.

Players costing £50m+ would want more, but I think it's reasonable to assume we might now be capable of shopping in the £30-40m bracket and still adhere to our wage structure. But only if we ship out a couple of top earners first.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
When we actually did try playing an attacking game last season I thought we did ok, the problem was the lack of intent. When we went for it we didn't look that bad. Tactics were our undoing. That won't be the case this season.

I can see us being the surprise package this season.

Unfortunately, I was guilty of thinking the same when we dismantled Man United last season. Whilst I can see Potter wanting to play more attacking football, one game isn't enough to gauge it. I think the Valencia game could be the one where we will see how we'll look in the premier league. Next few games will be try x formation and player in what ever position Potter deems them to be most effective and then finalised against Valencia.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If you're talking about Dunk, maybe we have bought his replacement already.

I'm thinking we might splash out on a top quality centre midfielder and or Striker. If we had a sudden windfall.

Much better strategy is to buy before the windfall (as you may be alluding to with Clarke). Fees always head northwards once the selling club know there is a large sum around.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Much better strategy is to buy before the windfall (as you may be alluding to with Clarke). Fees always head northwards once the selling club know there is a large sum around.

Correct, which is why it makes sense that so far we have only bought a winger and a CB, both areas we were already well stocked.

On the evidence of one half, Trossard looks as good as Knockaert and Clarke doesn't look £40m worse than Dunk. So if both deals happen, add that profit to the balance we already have and we might be in a position where we have £70m+ to improve the squad.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Correct, which is why it makes sense that so far we have only bought a winger and a CB, both areas we were already well stocked.

On the evidence of one half, Trossard looks as good as Knockaert and Clarke doesn't look £40m worse than Dunk. So if both deals happen, add that profit to the balance we already have and we might be in a position where we have £70m+ to improve the squad.

Trossard looks very good, we agree there.

I do find it absolutely mind-blowing that posters can honestly feel, at this point in time, assured that Clarke can step in for Dunk. He was a stand-out player in a division two levels lower, playing for a club that failed to get promoted from it. I watched him on Saturday, he didn't look comfortable on the ball against an Austrian 2nd division side.

Add to that he actually looked quite nervous, in a pre-season friendly. I know people love to have faith in our system - that we will replace a player worth 50M~ for one with similar ability at 10% of the fee, but it really is quite far from reality on current evidence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

I do find it absolutely mind-blowing that posters can honestly feel, at this point in time, assured that Clarke can step in for Dunk. He was a stand-out player in a division two levels lower, playing for a club that failed to get promoted from it. I watched him on Saturday, he didn't look comfortable on the ball against an Austrian 2nd division side.

Add to that he actually looked quite nervous, in a pre-season friendly. I know people love to have faith in our system - that we will replace a player worth 50M~ with one worth 10% of that, but it really is quite far from reality on current evidence.

It was Clarke's first outing, and he's not the first in line. Relax.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

Add to that he actually looked quite nervous, in a pre-season friendly. I know people love to have faith in our system - that we will replace a player worth 50M~ for one with similar ability at 10% of the fee, but it really is quite far from reality on current evidence.

It was his first runout of preseason, but he still looked more assured than Dunk who didn't have a great game.

I know highlight reels in YouTube should be taken with a pinch of salt, but having watched a lot of them, I would say Clarke's style is almost identical to that of Lewis. He is comfortable on the ball, can spray a 40 yard cross field pass, likes to bring the ball out on occasion and throws himself in front of everything.

Of course he is not the finished article, but with Duffy beside him, I'm confident he wouldn't let us down.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People thinking we are going to trouser 70m and then pump it all back out on players are deluded if you ask me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
People thinking we are going to trouser 70m and then pump it all back out on players are deluded if you ask me.
Some of the Dunk fee would go towards "Paying for the Academy" ie giving Tony some of his money back.

Would be nice to invest some in new contracts for some younger players most notably Steven Alzate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Who is first in line, Burn?

I would guess so, but it's down to Mr Potter! He already seems to be using people creatively and EFFECTIVELY out of position - ie Sanders in Austria as a midfielder at full back.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Some of the Dunk fee would go towards "Paying for the Academy" ie giving Tony some of his money back.

Would be nice to invest some in new contracts for some younger players most notably Steven Alzate.

I'm not sure he wants to recoup the money he has invested just yet. He has already said that his priority is to make us a permanent fixture in Premier League. Last season he converted £30m of the debt into equity and I imagine he will do so again this season.

Owning Brighton is not a normal business for Tony Bloom, he sees it as his family legacy and has previously said that he wants his children to inherit the club.

He is not short of cash, so I believe he will keep allowing the club to bootstrap any profits into improving the playing squad.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here