Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
it does but you see it so often a club that has a mare 2nd half of the season and then limps to relegation the next. Huddersfield being a prime example.

I do think we are going to go more youth and of course be prudent where we can ( makes sense with the GP appointment ) but our squad at the moment would see us relegated.

Plenty of time to get some quality in though

** edit quite calm about it , never thought we would stay there 2 seasons so if we go after the 3rd , so be it. Championship is great fun and we are built on good foundations to have another decentish season if we drop , no dramas , if its over then its over. Not like we are dropping to oblivion is it.
Is the Championship really great fun? Loads of forgettable games especially the cold midweek fixtures ending in a 1-1 and queueing for the bus/train in the rain thinking why did I bother. If you have a mid table finish it just seems a waste of a season. PL games are far more intense as the points mean everything let’s stay where we are.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is the Championship really great fun? Loads of forgettable games especially the cold midweek fixtures ending in a 1-1 and queueing for the bus/train in the rain thinking why did I bother. If you have a mid table finish it just seems a waste of a season. PL games are far more intense as the points mean everything let’s stay where we are.

Can I suggest that just about every game was forgettable from a Brighton fans perspective last season, even the ones we won. Yes it was great to win but did we actually play really well for 90 mins at all? The Championship gave us some of my best memories as an Albion fan. Of course I’d like to stay mixing it in the Prem but not when we shit ourselves in virtually every game.

I accept that the vast majority of us view winning as the be all and end all, regardless of how we do it but from my side I like to be entertained for some of the time. Those moments were few and far between and got less and less as the season progressed. Each to their own though, that’s what makes this place entertaining.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sounds like you think we deserved to lose all 38 games last season bar perhaps Man Utd. Yep ?

That's a hell of an interpretation to make and completely incorrect. Have a little nap and come back when you are rested up and in a better frame of mind.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Email in my inbox..."ALBION SIGN NEW GOALKEEPER"

Opens email - Megan Walsh.

*sigh*

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Yes , can say the Championship was brilliant other than the Hypia season.

Not every game amazing but then I guess if you want that then Man City is a better choice

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes , can say the Championship was brilliant other than the Hypia season.

Not every game amazing but then I guess if you want that then Man City is a better choice
^sigh^ So someone has a different point of view and the go and support Man City is rolled out yet again at least be original.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can I suggest that just about every game was forgettable from a Brighton fans perspective last season, even the ones we won. Yes it was great to win but did we actually play really well for 90 mins at all? The Championship gave us some of my best memories as an Albion fan. Of course I’d like to stay mixing it in the Prem but not when we shit ourselves in virtually every game.

I accept that the vast majority of us view winning as the be all and end all, regardless of how we do it but from my side I like to be entertained for some of the time. Those moments were few and far between and got less and less as the season progressed. Each to their own though, that’s what makes this place entertaining.

Thought the MU and Fulham games at home were cracking games, didn't think we played that badly against Fulham, and it was a barnstorming game. Struggled against West Ham and Wolves for those wins, but we again played well enough against Leicester only to mess our shorts when Vardy came on. Then of course who could forget smashing Palace with 10 men?

We played really well at home to Chelsea undone by an individual error, and then I went to all 3 games over Xmas which I thought we all really good games and we came out with 5 points.

2019 not so much, but obviously Palace at Selhurst was amazing, and as [MENTION=26980]The Tactician[/MENTION]'s piece, got it mostly right in that game.

Even in a poor season overall, still pull out some decent performances, and I won't forget scoring 3 against United and Palace before half time in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The Championship does give you that challenging at the top one minute, fighting relegation the next, fighting at the top again. You can come from lower midtable obscurity to playoff contenders with a decent run.

That said I do agree with you. The moments are less, but you treasure every goal, every decent move in the PL, every point truly is a prisoner. As said above, even in a poor season I will remember some of those moments, it's not often we as a club have put 3 passed ManUtd by half time in our history. Norwich maybe...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not convinced many more signings are going to happen soon.

Striker - waiting until the end of AFCON to assess whether Percy Tau can get a permit ? ??? In any case, Potter may be impressed by Connolly, Mlakar and Gyokeres. Oh, and #BringBackBarnes, obviously.

Right back - we could even go with Schelotto ( although he isn't fit enough for the Austrian camp ).

Attacking Central Midfield cover - step forward Steven Alzate.

So that just leaves a Box2Box Midfield Beast - I hope we get one.

I have no idea if Potter will ever select Schelotto, but purely from a fitness perspective, I'd be pretty surprised if Schelotto was ready for first team consideration before September (at the earliest). He had ACL surgery in March; the Argus reported in early June that he was running again and doing strength-building exercises at month 3, and he hoped to play some football in month 5 (which would be August). The fact that he isn't on the Austria trip suggests competitive football is still some way off for him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we have a better squad than Bournemouth with the exception of Wilson. If Potter is better than Smug Ed, we should be higher than them come the end of the season. The club are not giving up on the likes of AJ, Jurgs, Montoya, Andone & Balogun, they’ve brought in a manager to get the best out of those signings. I trust their judgement this time.

A deserved Albion 0 5 Bournemouth, tells us all we need to know. Outclassed across the field, we made Ake look like VVD.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I read that this morning and like you think we are planning to go with what we have up front. We all know that TB is a gambler, but this must be one of his biggest, it is a long time until January if it turns out that the recruitment team were wrong and CH right about the quality.

Relegation assured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
some key phrases from that:

"I think the first point of call is to try to help them improve and take a step forward, but you are always looking. If there is somebody that can hep that process then we will try our best"

"There's guys there with quality that maybe want to take the next step I think, it would be fair to say probably haven't shown all that they can.
So you need to assess where they are at, why haven't they quite done what they would like to have done,Only when you have got those answers can you say we need to do this or we need to do that."

Fair to say when reading that it is carefully worded and quite insightful. Firstly as it gives everyone the incentive to impress (tick), secondly,it enables players to show that they are decent players and were maybe played out of position etc (tick). Thirdly it shows TB that he has not wasted his money (Tick). Fourthly and most telling was the sentence "If there is somebody that can hep that process then we will try our best" (in other words we are still looking to strengthen) (tick)

Anyway, he can hardly say they are all crap and thats it. However the market is ridiculously priced and he can hardly say we are desperate as you get held to ransom....

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

The club are clearly in denial around how poor we were last season- especially in those attacking positions, I have to say this is really disappointing but all the signals up to this point have been evolution not revolution so based on this and looking like the club are content with the current forward options then relegation looks more likely

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very brave and a massive vote of confidence to a manager who hasn’t ever managed at this level that we are possibly only spending 20 million in signings this season, given how last season panned out. Even so I am mug enough to prefer this to sticking with CH :shrug:

Maybe the club are being very cute and sending out a signal that if the price isn’t right we won’t be bullied into paying more than we think a player is worth. If we appeared desperate agents would have us over a barrel.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The club are clearly in denial around how poor we were last season- especially in those attacking positions, I have to say this is really disappointing but all the signals up to this point have been evolution not revolution so based on this and looking like the club are content with the current forward options then relegation looks more likely

I think that's a bit unfair on Tony Bloom!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here