Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Rest assured that we will get the players that GP deem fit to enable us to be competitive. It really has been an extremely quiet start to the window all around the PL. We have just over 4 weeks of the window to go. Seeing as most teams are back now for pre season you would envisage that things will start to pick up.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1213395

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
We could be virtually down by than - ultimately at least three/four of last season's big signings are duffers plain and simple: Big Jurgs (Jan prior granted), Comical Ali and, BIG leon and Florin 'Ban done...' I've said elsewhere and I'm happy to reiterate here that GP may well have a progressive attacking philosophy, but he hasn't got the players to deliver it at this level - not in a million years. So far we've added a former Belgium under 21 international and, and ... little else of consequence has happened at all.

Still we've got Tomer back... all is not lost.

In all seriousness if this was and remains the strategy re recruitment CH will be glad he was axed when he was. GP can't make Ali into a better than average PL player or indeed Jurgs into a PL player of any sort, because... guess what?!? they are not and never will be.

Here's hoping we bring in a new CM, RB and Striker before we open for the season, otherwise we are screwed.

This with bells on! - I’m really surprised how many on here are content with our squad and believe all of a sudden there’s gonna be a massive improvement in players like Ali J n Loco etc when it was clear last season a number of players aren’t up to it and we cannot wait to strengthen in January either

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I still think sacking CH was a stupid decision. If we are left with the same players and an unproven manager in the Prem we'll be the first team down. In my opinion it was blatantly obvious that the players are just not good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

That does not make sense at all. This team kept us up 2 seasons ago and we had a very good run upto Xmas. I know it went down the toilet after, but that doesn't mean that the players we have cannot compete in the PL.

We have played some really good football since being in the PL and, with a few small additions and the new manager, I think we'll survive and be competitive this season.

Second half v Newcastle most recent example.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This with bells on! - I’m really surprised how many on here are content with our squad and believe all of a sudden there’s gonna be a massive improvement in players like Ali J n Loco etc when it was clear last season a number of players aren’t up to it and we cannot wait to strengthen in January either

This with added bells! I see people saying we’ll be okay... hmmmmm my issue is that the high energy and determination of the first season wonderment have diminished, second season into third season syndrome is a real possibility unless we embellish the squad with actual genuine quality... BUT that costs and we’re not prepared to go big... hence relegation is a very real possibility... whoever is in charge. GP is going to have a baptism of fire, if indeed we’re going all in to prove Jurgen being shit was all down to CH... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m amazed by how negative some are. We’ve made 2 very good looking signings so far and have a month to sign three players basically - a right back, centre mid and striker - it’s very realistic. Not many other premier league sides have signed more than two player so far either.

I’m hoping, and confident he is, Potter is a manager who will get more out of the existing players who I think are actually very good players and were under coached and badly used last year. Plus we do seem to have a group of very talented youngsters coming through which also boosts the squad.

I’m totally relaxed about where we are and can’t wait for the season to start.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
This with added bells! I see people saying we’ll be okay... hmmmmm my issue is that the high energy and determination of the first season wonderment have diminished, second season into third season syndrome is a real possibility unless we embellish the squad with actual genuine quality... BUT that costs and we’re not prepared to go big... hence relegation is a very real possibility... whoever is in charge. GP is going to have a baptism of fire, if indeed we’re going all in to prove Jurgen being shit was all down to CH... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You could always throw a few million of your own money into the kitty to help the club get the players needed?

I'm sure the club are looking at other possible signings but in the large part most transfer business gets done late in the day whether we like it or not. Be grateful we've already signed 2 - plus we've also got Tomer back!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
1 enticement of bloom's to magic 'arry potter will have been a reasonable spunk trumpet budget;
2 in already, a month left, CHILL!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Think Harry Kane - Spurs fans wanted him out. Think Vardy, 5 goals in 34 appearances in first season with Leicester. Think Ashley Barnes, WTF did Dyche think of when buying him?

Players, especially offensive ones, can react very differently with new systems, new ideas, new manager. Forget January, it ain't going to happen and even if it does will be too late. Have faith with GP finding something from JL, AJ, FA that we have not seen hitherto. It may not happen, but for sure it would never have happened under CH's regime of training them all to defend.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think it might be worth waiting until the transfer window SLAMS shut before pissing the bed, as some on here already are.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Blimey, first time I've opened this thread. Didn't expect to see so much negativity at this stage of summer about our prospects. Think some people need to get a new hobby and forget about football for a bit!

Can't imagine what it would have been like on here if we'd just spunked 20 mill on Tyrone Mings, as Villa have just done

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Think Harry Kane - Spurs fans wanted him out. Think Vardy, 5 goals in 34 appearances in first season with Leicester. Think Ashley Barnes, WTF did Dyche think of when buying him?

Players, especially offensive ones, can react very differently with new systems, new ideas, new manager. Forget January, it ain't going to happen and even if it does will be too late. Have faith with GP finding something from JL, AJ, FA that we have not seen hitherto. It may not happen, but for sure it would never have happened under CH's regime of training them all to defend.

So are you happy with those crop of players??- do you think we have enough as it stands to stay up?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So are you happy with those crop of players??- do you think we have enough as it stands to stay up?

I think we have a better squad than Bournemouth with the exception of Wilson. If Potter is better than Smug Ed, we should be higher than them come the end of the season. The club are not giving up on the likes of AJ, Jurgs, Montoya, Andone & Balogun, they’ve brought in a manager to get the best out of those signings. I trust their judgement this time.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

I don’t know whether I am happy with this crop of players. Read what I said. I am certainly not happy with their performances to date. But they all had form previously. So they are not crap and either need time, encouragement, and coaching to produce more acceptable performances or, simply, they may find the step up too much. My point is that CH concentrating on defence too much may not have given them that time, encouragement, and coaching.

I obviously don’t know that, but posters who simply write them off must by definition think we shall struggle, because they are going nowhere. Even one excellent striker may not be enough as he will not feature in all 38 matches.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Love us to make some more signings but will be happier going into the season with whatever we have, even over lots of new signings and CH still in charge. Win/win for me and I expect us to be around the bottom again but be more fun to watch. That will do for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I usually lurch optimistically towards the sunny uplands, but right now I would not put money on us staying up. I think we need a powerful athletic forward, especially away from home, where we just come under too much pressure. I am not necessarily looking for a world beater here, just something different to what we currently have and someone who can be ready to start the season, even as an impact sub.

A couple more positions, could also do with strengthening, particularly at right back, but this is possibly less urgent. Confidence in a new manager and a new system, is going to require a good start to the season, otherwise a lack of self belief, could really get a grip, so getting a couple of players in early is a good start and we have enough squad strength to let a couple more spend some time bedding in, provided we don't pick up a big injury list.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not convinced many more signings are going to happen soon.

Striker - waiting until the end of AFCON to assess whether Percy Tau can get a permit ? ??? In any case, Potter may be impressed by Connolly, Mlakar and Gyokeres. Oh, and #BringBackBarnes, obviously.

Right back - we could even go with Schelotto ( although he isn't fit enough for the Austrian camp ).

Attacking Central Midfield cover - step forward Steven Alzate.

So that just leaves a Box2Box Midfield Beast - I hope we get one.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here