Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
There are communications about our two new signings, good, the thread of Andone or Locadia (fine, though still not banking on either), and the story of inheriting strong foundations (thank you Chris), but surely we are trying to sign a few more? Aren't we?

I think I may be suffering early onset transfer anxiety.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There is very little movement across the whole PL at the moment it seems.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We are not really very close to the window closing....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Winstano is on holiday and t'other fella still hasn't been issued his lanyard.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Winstano is on holiday and t'other fella still hasn't been issued his lanyard.
And Tony's absolutely coining it on Wimbledon and CWC bets.

The Asian cricket betting market must be like an all you can eat buffet for him at the moment.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
We are not really very close to the window closing....

One of the Club's reflections from last season was that July left little time for new players to bed in. Not sure I buy that as a reason for underwhelming performance from new signings, but I'm not convinced CH tactics were a reason either.

The "we won't buy when the window closing drives high prices" argument kicks in in 3 weeks so you'd figure the next few weeks are significant.

el punal

I just wonder if Graham Potter has been told that part of his remit is to try and get the expensive signings of Locardia, Jahanbakhsh, Andone and some of last season’s other ineffective players to step up and produce. Potter certainly has managed to do that at Swansea and Ostersunds on a limited budget but with a fair amount of success.

In my opinion I think those three players I’ve mentioned should be given a chance to prove themselves, new manager, new slate, new tactics and all that. I felt all three showed promise last season however limited it was. Maybe, with a different approach and playing style they’ll flourish. Wishful thinking perhaps - we’ll find out soon enough.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a different market now compared to even 5 years ago. Clubs in the Prem don't need to sell and selling clubs abroad know they can hold out for big money. Think it'll pick up a couple of weeks before the deadline.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I just wonder if Graham Potter has been told that part of his remit is to try and get the expensive signings of Locardia, Jahanbakhsh, Andone and some of last season’s other ineffective players to step up and produce. Potter certainly has managed to do that at Swansea and Ostersunds on a limited budget but with a fair amount of success.

In my opinion I think those three players I’ve mentioned should be given a chance to prove themselves, new manager, new slate, new tactics and all that. I felt all three showed promise last season however limited it was. Maybe, with a different approach and playing style they’ll flourish. Wishful thinking perhaps - we’ll find out soon enough.

It would be an uncomfortable place if we are forced into doing business in the January window because we didn't make the right decisions in the summer and Murray was carrying the team by the shoulders.

el punal

It would be an uncomfortable place if we are forced into doing business in the January window because we didn't make the right decisions in the summer and Murray was carrying the team by the shoulders.

True enough. The thing is that the appointment of Graham Potter is a huge gamble and everything that goes with it. His track record is based on motivation and a different philosophy to the football norm. If he can get the best out of our current squad with those ideals then that would be brilliant. Whether he’s allowed to sign additional players to compensate for an ageing Murray and the less than impressive but expensive Locardia and Jahanbakhsh who knows. As I said in my previous post - we have to wait and see. Whatever the outcome I’m rather looking forward to the new season.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
True enough. The thing is that the appointment of Graham Potter is a huge gamble and everything that goes with it. His track record is based on motivation and a different philosophy to the football norm. If he can get the best out of our current squad with those ideals then that would be brilliant. Whether he’s allowed to sign additional players to compensate for an ageing Murray and the less than impressive but expensive Locardia and Jahanbakhsh who knows. As I said in my previous post - we have to wait and see. Whatever the outcome I’m rather looking forward to the new season.

I'm anxious. It was the signings, not the tactics, that had me biting nails last season. However, if Potter gets some value from those assets...happy days.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ali J, Locadia, Andone, Bissouma - I think Potter will be doing well to get just two of them to play consistently well in the Prem.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I just wonder if Graham Potter has been told that part of his remit is to try and get the expensive signings of Locardia, Jahanbakhsh, Andone

This with bells on.

There was way more, unique to football, analysis that went into their selection than probably any other player purchase anywhere. It’s extremely unlikely that CH was right and TB was wrong. Potter does, unfortunately, seem to be a logical choice of manager in this scenario.

This is what I hope for, and I think it would be unwise of GP to squander some of his budget now when he doesn't know which players are going to 'come good', and in which positions. I expect him to be allowed to experiment for the first half of the season, even if that means being in bottom place for that period. Hopefully he'll be able to fill the gaps in the January window to avoid relegation. In 2020-21 though, I'd like to see us consolidated and going for a cup.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
for a team that barely scored a goal and obviously need striker reinforcements it would be ridiculous to expect the existing strikers to be enough to help the team progress.... We need a fresh injection of quality that will help bring the best out of the existing players...this is what the evolution term meant. Obviously not to throw out everyone, but to refine the squad with appropriate players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here