Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Indeed.

Nor, I suggest, an attacking midfielder as the same could be said of Steven Alzate.

The only position the youth can't fill is that of a Box2Box Midfield Beast.

We may even stick with Schelotto as the right back - if he is fit.

Is Bissouma not likely to fill that roll?

This analysis suggests he may be.

https://totalfootballanalysis-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/yves-bissouma-brighton-tactical-analysis-statistics-premier-league/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftotalfootballanalysis.com%2Fplayer-analysis%2Fyves-bissouma-brighton-tactical-analysis-statistics-premier-league

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I read that this morning and like you think we are planning to go with what we have up front. We all know that TB is a gambler, but this must be one of his biggest, it is a long time until January if it turns out that the recruitment team were wrong and CH right about the quality.

There's nothing in that interview or the interview last week where he said
“It’s not as simple as just signing a player. It’s got to be the right one that fits with us. We are in that process now of making sure we’ve got a good understanding of what we’ve got already but, of course, we’ll try to improve as well." that says they won't be making more signings.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...s-leandro-trossard-gives-something-different/

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Big mistake if we think this squad won’t be a dice roll away from relegation again without significant strengthening of the first team.

There's still seven weeks before the window closes so plenty of time to make new signings. Inconceivable that one of those won't be a striker.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I just wonder if Graham Potter has been told that part of his remit is to try and get the expensive signings of Locardia, Jahanbakhsh, Andone and some of last season’s other ineffective players to step up and produce. Potter certainly has managed to do that at Swansea and Ostersunds on a limited budget but with a fair amount of success.

In my opinion I think those three players I’ve mentioned should be given a chance to prove themselves, new manager, new slate, new tactics and all that. I felt all three showed promise last season however limited it was. Maybe, with a different approach and playing style they’ll flourish. Wishful thinking perhaps - we’ll find out soon enough.

If he can't, Then I would like to think those responsible for scouting and obtaining them are not untouchable.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Like many on here, my big fear is that we're going to go with what we've got, that this will fail as a strategy, and that we'll struggle to find three worse sides than us. But there is always that glimmer of a hope that a proven striker will sign for us. It's the hope that kills you, though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Connolly looks pretty solid in build. Like a mini Rooney.

Would absolutely love this guy to be a good prem player this season. Be so much sweeter than a purchased success

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There's still seven weeks before the window closes so plenty of time to make new signings. Inconceivable that one of those won't be a striker.

I'm sure the club are searching assiduosly for a striker. The problem is so are all the other clubs in the PL, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Primeira Liga etc etc etc - ergo it's a sellers market and, as we know, we do not pay over the odds. It could be a long, frustrating and ultimately fruitless wait.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Interesting analysis. Bissouma is obviously a delightful player with so many qualities, but there are a few issues that concern me about him. One of which is his engine, which wasn't something that was covered in that article, but is pivotal for a box-to-box midfielder. Of current PL players, Doucoure stands out, and he really covers some ground. I'd be interested to see how much distance Bissouma covers -- and, on this, it might be unfair to judge him on last season, as CH's requirement to be 'compact' would have had an impact on that. I do remember a recent stat posted on here that Bissouma outdid Pogba at one thing: walking. Which I find concerning.

PS, I think you mean role, not roll. Silly sausage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Interesting analysis. Bissouma is obviously a delightful player with so many qualities, but there are a few issues that concern me about him. One of which is his engine, which wasn't something that was covered in that article, but is pivotal for a box-to-box midfielder. Of current PL players, Doucoure stands out, and he really covers some ground. I'd be interested to see how much distance Bissouma covers -- and, on this, it might be unfair to judge him on last season, as CH's requirement to be 'compact' would have had an impact on that. I do remember a recent stat posted on here that Bissouma outdid Pogba at one thing: walking. Which I find concerning.

PS, I think you mean role, not roll. Silly sausage.

I agree totally, especially regarding Doucoure, he is a great player.

And forgive my slip, the wife has me on a diet. My mind was in the fridge.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/july/potter-reflects-on-austria-so-far/

"Sometimes the easy solution is you look elsewhere but just spending money doesn't guarantee you are going to improve or get better, I think the first point of call is to try to help them improve and take a step forward.”

or "“It’s not as simple as just signing a player. It’s got to be the right one that fits with us. We are in that process now of making sure we’ve got a good understanding of what we’ve got already but, of course, we’ll try to improve as well."

Still the most obvious scenario is we sign a few more players as will the rest of the Prem . Not sure why anyone imagines we wouldn't.
Parsing Potter's quotes for a clue one way or the other though is pretty pointless and unlikely to reveal much. Of course he's going to say at this point, 2 weeks into training that he's getting to know the squad and that the signings from last year, for example, could offer more. . .
at the same time he's probably talking to the recruitment team *every* day seeing how things are going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here