Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Given the boot...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The whole retail world has changed massively and will continue to in the next few years. I said years ago that in two generations' time the High Street will not be a thing, but it could be sooner than that. People buy online, or buy cheaper at supermarkets or discount stores such as Poundland.

No shock here at the news about Boots, only that people are so shocked. Customers change and so do their shopping habits. The writing has been on the wall for these sorts of chains for years. I'm guessing more competition in the 'Meal deal' market (which Boots helped establish YEARS ago) probably hasn't helped.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Most products Boots sell are cheaper elsewhere so hardly a surprise

That's the one. In Worthing Boots sits snugly between Superdrug and Savers; everything is cheaper than in Boots; haven't been in there for years.

WHS has the same issue; doesn't sell anything you can't get elsewhere but they charge more.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Most French towns I have visited recently all have loads of closed shops on the high streets (only things that seem to be open are banks, bakers, and hairdressers) and everyone is going to the hypermarche on the edge of town instead.

Ahem ...
And for those who say culture is diffferent in France, it has the same percentage of retail closures as the UK

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm expecting most of these Boots closures to be the smaller of two stores where they have two stores very close together. Where I work in Uxbridge, there's a massive Boots in one of the two big shopping centres, and then a small pharmacy-focussed one at the entry to the underground. Seems silly having both when there's about 1 minute walk between them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here