Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Who is your favourite players still in the tournament at Wimbledon?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He won’t win but I am a big fan of Tsonga.

Who is yours?

Expecting plenty of fit women to be nominated, this is NSC after all :smile:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nik Kyrgios.
Tennis has a rich history of 'characters'.
Prize plum he may be but you can't help but watch him, the match on now is riveting, he could win this or he could climb the umpires chair and strangle him with his tie.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nik Kyrgios.
Tennis has a rich history of 'characters'.
Prize plum he may be but you can't help but watch him, the match on now is riveting, he could win this or he could climb the umpires chair and strangle him with his tie.

Yep, a very natural and talented player but a complete loose cannon. Love it

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've noticed a distinct lack of interest in Wimbledon/tennis on NSC. I noticed it last year which I found quite surprising. Over four and a half hours to get your one and only response (two now).

In answer to your question I quite enjoyed watching Coco Gauff last night. I had no doubt at any time that she would win and I don't think she did either.
My wife's a Nadal obsessive but hates Federer and Djokovic with a passion.
I haven't made up my mind on the men yet as I haven't been following it much myself.

Edit: Disclaimer: Just reread your opening post and noticed your comment about expecting plenty of fit women to be nominated. I therefore would like to stress that my interest in Coco has nothing to do with any level of "fitness" which she may or may not have, which given her age would be totally inappropriate for me to notice let alone comment on. My interest in her is totally tennis related, which given her age increases my admiration of her achievements so far. Will be interesting to see her in a match with Serena after having dispatched her sister.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Coco for me, she will dominate the women's game in around two years time

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Coco for me, she will dominate the women's game in around two years time

You would think so but not necessarily the case. Tracey Austin was only 16 when she first played Wimbledon and got to the semi finals but she certainly did not go on to dominate the game due to various circumstances.

However with Coco I think you might be right.
I don't think you'd ever get a mens player breaking through at such a young age as the physical difference between a fifteen year old boy and a man is much greater than a fifteen year old girl and a woman.
Boris Becker was 17. I don't know who the youngest male player at Wimbledon was without checking.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You would think so but not necessarily the case. Tracey Austin was only 16 when she first played Wimbledon and got to the semi finals but she certainly did not go on to dominate the game due to various circumstances.

However with Coco I think you might be right.
I don't think you'd ever get a mens player breaking through at such a young age as the physical difference between a fifteen year old boy and a man is much greater than a fifteen year old girl and a woman.
Boris Becker was 17. I don't know who the youngest male player at Wimbledon was without checking.

Tracy Austin was playing at a time where there were several truly great female players. There isn't one around at the moment - some good players but no greats anymore. I think she could be one but too early to tell. It all depends upon how she can cope with the fame in the era of social media.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here