Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Betting William Hill.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I worked with a lad who inherited a decent sum of money one day; in fact it was about 3 years salary for him. He quit his job with the intention of using the money for a few weeks of boozing before learning to drive, finding a better job and then putting a deposit down on a flat for himself.

He came crawling back looking for his old job 4 months later having pissed the entire sum of money up the wall. Woke up at 10:30, cab to his favourite pub, get there as it opens, sit there drinking and smoking until close, order a takeaway whilst pissed, cab home when the pub closes. Every day. For 4 months. Yes, he may have blown through the money even faster if he’d spent it on FOBT, but it would have certainly been a lot better for his health, he’d probably have been sober enough to learn to drive and at the end of the day the net result is exactly the same.

:shrug:

How do you protect idiots from themselves?

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
It’s grooming in all but name what the bookmakers did to encourage fobt players to become addicted....

A) Advertise a competition on a Saturday morning with decent free spins prizes to the winners, we were told to be out there with unlimited coffee, crisps, snacks etc sometimes £100 odd out of petty cash to buy them....

B) Machine in ‘Demo mode’ win win win...Everyone who entered showed a profit unless totally stupid....

C) Hooked punters play in ‘live mode’ and lose....simples....

Bookies I worked in never cared about money laundering in the machines....eg feed in a grand, play 1 spin for £1 and print ticket for £999....Bingo....one cashier emptied more out of 4 machines in 1 day than they earned in a year

Also never cared about laundering on the football either....I remember Man U I think 11 points clear with 4 games left, bloke wants £5k @ 1/1000 to win the league ‘ that’s ok ‘ and he picks the winnings up a year later !

Etc etc etc.....

Cheerio , best news of the year

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I find bookies shops extremely handy. They nearly all have toilets. Just peruse the board for a few seconds , pretending to be a punter, then ask for the key. Bingo. Went in one recently and the manager was fuming. The last occupant had gone off with the key and there was no spare.

That's the gamble you make ......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just got a very measly 7-1 on Brighton getting a Top 10 finish!

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
The rule changes on the FOBT's is genuinely the best decision ever made and has had life changing consequences for a lot of young males in there 20's.

I've pissed too much dough up the wall, marching up and down high streets with 4 or 5 bookies on them, like a man possessed, just looking for my next roulette fix.

Since this change in legislation, I've signed up to GAMSTOP / not stepped foot in a bookies (apart from once where i tried the £2 spin games) / increased my pension contributions at work / put all spare disposable income in a stocks & shares Lifetime ISA......

Roulette is the devils game. Don't do it.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
There was a limit of four machines per shop, so in order to get more machines, the bookies just opened more shops. Now these things have finally been dealt with, they are closing all those extra shops down again.

Yes its a shame for the staff, but its a bit like stopping all crack cocaine production and then lamenting the fact that the drug-dealers are out of work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here