Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lawyer Found Dead at Beachy Head

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Obviously an intelligent and talented person, who went off the rails. Demon drink, mental health issues ... possibly?

A sad end to a life.

You are almost certainly right. I always put mental health issues before an addiction though. I’m not pulling you up here but just thinking like you... how sad.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Since moving to Eastbourne I have been surprised by the frequency of deaths at Beachy Head , living so close it is sobering. I have had my share of illness and depression......supported though by my wife.

“There but for fortune go you and I.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Since moving to Eastbourne I have been surprised by the frequency of deaths at Beachy Head , living so close it is sobering. I have had my share of illness and depression......supported though by my wife.

A phrase to live one's life by.
I have always known it as there but for the grace of god go you or I, and use it often
I prefer this secular version, as that is what I always meant.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

I know people who volunteer with the RNLI in Eastbourne and Seaford. It’s sadly a regular occurrence which rarely makes the news.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can't begin to imagine her thoughts leading up to the very end. In a strange way someone committing suicide can seem happier as they have things planned for their passing like spending all their money, giving possessions away and becoming emotional when they know they won't see someone that hasn't caused them pain.

Sorry, I'm just waffling and in a bad place. I don't want to get anyone depressed. Tragic circumstances for her family.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You are almost certainly right. I always put mental health issues before an addiction though. I’m not pulling you up here but just thinking like you... how sad.

I class addiction as a mental health issue.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I can't begin to imagine her thoughts leading up to the very end. In a strange way someone committing suicide can seem happier as they have things planned for their passing like spending all their money, giving possessions away and becoming emotional when they know they won't see someone that hasn't caused them pain.

Sorry, I'm just waffling and in a bad place. I don't want to get anyone depressed. Tragic circumstances for her family.

If you need to vent just vent

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Don't worry about rambling. Feel free if you want/need to.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
My wife has tried to take her life a few times,, its interesting as she is diabetic and used insulin, the doctor at the RSCH the first time told her she used the wrong one and that the other was more dangerous. (I wont say on her which in case we have any diabetics) I could not believe what I heard. So next time she used the other one and was in hospital for a long time. She had counselling and seems much better but I still worry. I wondered if it was my fault but she has assured me its not. Its not a straight forward thing. My understanding is that when they try they want to really do it but then they regret it. The mind is a very complex thing.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

There are quite a few that get stopped before they jump; the pub often call the police because they have concerns about people in there on their own.

A former colleague turned policeman stopped a jumper, I think he even got a gong for it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Whilst three 187.5ml bottles (usual size handed out, although in business they often serve from normal sized bottles) isn't a vast amount, it's very likely she spent at least a couple of hours in a business class lounge caning it before the flight to be in the kind of condition that contributed to her behaviour. Poor woman and poor family - so sad.

Or maybe she was in the lounge "caning" the diet coke or orange juice because she WASN'T a drinker and the quantity of wine she consumed early in the flight was more than she could handle.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Company I used to work for had funding for a 12 month pilot on the Head and nearby to reduce suicides there. Was very successful. Guess what Tory austerity chose to do at the end of 12 months?

If you can persuade your company or afford it yourself then I'd very much recommend the two day ASIST training.

https://www.prevent-suicide.org.uk/asist_suicide_intervention_skills_training_course.html

All people thinking of suicide give out invitations in conversation that we can pick up on and persue and get them to talk about it and stay safe. If only we can recognise them.

God knows to my great sadness I missed some.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
My world's been destroyed. Weststander will know what I mean. Absolutely sick with guilt for not looking after someone.

I need counselling.

Hope things will get better. If you need to chat..chat. Get it off your chest. As I have said in another thread , we are one big online family. People here can be decent. Chin up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here