Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Lampard appointed Chelsea manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I suggest that the risk here is bigger than ours, will follow with interest. Good luck to him though, I have time for Fat Frank

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
More recent than Man U, who last had one in the late 80s (88 I think).

And when did Man City last have an English manager? Nobby Horton?

Not sure but didn't Mark Hughes manage them for a while?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The trouble with appointing an indisputable club legend, is that it makes them much harder to sack. Lampard would have to be so demonstrably out of his depth to get the clubs support onside with this, that I reckon Frank is safe for the first couple of years.

"Frank Lampard has agreed to leave Chelsea Football Club by mutual consent. The Board would like to place on record their gratitude to Frank for all his efforts over the past 9 months and wish him well in his future endeavours."

...just getting in early.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
5th at best.

which is probably about what they expect with any manager currently. and if he does that, and being competitive, playing attractively, he'll get another season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well I hope he does really well.

Wouldn't it make a nice change to see the top sides taking a punt on young managers, especially young English managers. They are all likely to look at what happens here before they decide. If Fat Frank manages to do a good job at Chelsea, then suddenly it could bring a whole new wave of young managers to the fore, being given a chance much higher up the ladder than we've seen the last 10 years and more.

Whereas, if he flops, then we'll see a everyone stick with the tried and trusted (even when it fails) merry-go-round of the same old same old revolving around our middling clubs (7th-17th) while the top 6 go back to exclusively going for a fancy sounding foreigner who has almost been successful at a host of big clubs around Europe.

If he could also do this by promoting youth out of the Chelsea academy, then this really could be a great turning point in how clubs run things.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Took over a struggling Derby side languishing in 6th to a very commendable 6th place finish

Hope he does well !

Well, obviously those are the facts! What it doesn't tell you is the buzz he created, the connection he had with the fans and, frankly, an improvement in the playing style and involvement of youngsters. Whether he can, or indeed needs to, do the same at Chelsea will be very interesting, most Derby fans will wish him the very best of luck. Absolutely fantastic character to have at ones club, he will be missed.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
which is probably about what they expect with any manager currently. and if he does that, and being competitive, playing attractively, he'll get another season.

Yeah, I don't doubt that he'll get another year.

I just reckon had they stuck with Sarri (or replaced him with Allegri/Pioli/Genesio) that they would have a better chance of, and more reason to expect CL qualification

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48632172

Chelsea have appointed former midfielder Frank Lampard as their manager on a three-year deal.

Lampard, 41, has left Championship side Derby County to take over at a club where he spent 13 years as a player.

He succeeds Maurizio Sarri, who left Stamford Bridge in June to take charge of Italian champions Juventus.

Lampard led Derby to the Championship play-off final, where they lost to Aston Villa, in his first season as a manager.

The former England international made 648 Chelsea appearances, winning 11 major trophies with them.

This news has really taken me by surprise.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think he’ll be alright for them, the existing players will respect his footballing pedigree and he seems like a pretty intelligent fella.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, obviously those are the facts! What it doesn't tell you is the buzz he created, the connection he had with the fans and, frankly, an improvement in the playing style and involvement of youngsters. Whether he can, or indeed needs to, do the same at Chelsea will be very interesting, most Derby fans will wish him the very best of luck. Absolutely fantastic character to have at ones club, he will be missed.

Interesting. A couple of questions: were all the youngsters he involved loanees? If not, how many from your academy/DS/u23s played, and for how many games/minutes?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I am wondering if this appointment heralds the start of the end for the Chelski version of the club. With the transfer ban in place no more signings for a bit, meaning the virtually untested manager/coach has to look to the academy and the host of young players out on loan.The likely outcome of which is that Chelsea find themselves in a fight for positions 7-5, the top 4 seemingly out of reach and the distinct possibility of no European football after next season further depleting income. Abramovich doesn't seem to be challenging his own UK visa ban, and seems to be loosing interest with the big bucks possibly drying up. If Chelsea fall back into the chasing pack and the top 6 become a top 5 ,when the transfer ban ends they will not be such an attractive destination and that would make the return to the top that much more difficult. Not so good for Chelsea, but perhaps good for the league. If Frank does a half decent job and keeps them top of the rest it may well encourage more owners to look towards home grown mangers costing less than the mega names from Europe.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What!??

You don't remember THIS...?

:lolol::lolol: No, I don't

I see that he was appointed about the same time that we adopted our kids and I was a bit out of the loop for a couple of years. I stopped going to the Albion for a few years too - that explains why it passed me by

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here