Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 'enjoy life while you can: in 20 years global warming will hit the fan'.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
In short, we’re a plague and billions of us need to die if this planets to survive.

Whilst I agree with much of your post, as has already been pointed out, this bit is just daft. This planet will quite happily continue to exist and flourish despite our best efforts to cock it up.

The fact that mankind might well die out is an irrelevance to the planet. Other organisms more suited to the resulting conditions with thrive and expand, and our brief shitty existence will be lost. Earth will continue to thrive, whereas mankind won’t.

Big deal, it’s just evolution. We just happen to have evolved to the point where the environment, maybe soon, will no longer support the needs of modern Homo Sapiens.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
99.9% of species that have ever existed on Earth are now extinct. Modern humans have only been here for around 200 thousand years, where as the dinosaurs lasted around 170 million years.

Intelligence it seems may not be a good thing for long term survival, unless they are able to move to new planets.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pah!. You and your “science” . You’re just a mouthpiece for the illuminati. All those years WASTED in a library studying? You’re just a patsy.

Get yourself on YouTube. That’s where science is done these days.

:lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whilst I agree with much of your post, as has already been pointed out, this bit is just daft. This planet will quite happily continue to exist and flourish despite our best efforts to cock it up.

The fact that mankind might well die out is an irrelevance to the planet. Other organisms more suited to the resulting conditions with thrive and expand, and our brief shitty existence will be lost. Earth will continue to thrive, whereas mankind won’t.

Big deal, it’s just evolution. We just happen to have evolved to the point where the environment, maybe soon, will no longer support the needs of modern Homo Sapiens.

True although point I was making is we are solely responsible for accelerated loss of other species critical to ecosystems. Argue it’s Darwinism, evolution and so forth but it’s unprecedented that one species causes the extinction of so many others. We’re unlike anything we’ve seen before and had it within our grasp not to kill ourselves and the planet with it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whatever books you’re relying on I sincerely doubt the evidence for your scepticism. Nothing personal, I’m sure you have researched the subject. But I’m hoping the scientists, meteorologists and assorted professionals...are more reliable than you.

I’m not sceptic about climate change being man made. I’m one of the good guys, got my white hat too!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've no idea if the tipping point has been passed, and neither does Lovelock in a scientific sense. He might intuitively think that, but Lovelock's key theoretical move is the Gaia hypothesis which is really about how the planet and its biota will correct themselves over time. What most people don't get is that human activity -- or what is becoming more broadly accepted as the anthropocene -- isn't pivotal to this hypothesis because he's engaging at a markedly different level of temporality than the impact humans have had during modernity. He thinks that Gaia will self-correct over time, but the impact of climate change will fall on human shoulders with devastating consequences.
For a long time, certain voices, political parties and movements have been insisting that we move away from fossil fuels, but human complacency has set in, and other political forces and influential figures have distracted the public with reactionary tosh like Brexit, rather than seeking to confront the issues that will enable humans to flourish into the future.

in my opinion it's the flourishing of humans that has brought about the current warming of the atmosphere , the planet is doing its best to purge itself of a nasty illness , IF sea levels rise at the predicted rate to the predicted levels then we could see 20-25% of the worlds population displaced , once people are forced in to high density habitats it will just take a few nasty viruses to create hell on earth ............it's out of Europes' hands now India , China , Indonesia all massive fossil fuel users , i would suggest a hill-top in Tasmania , NewZealand ........remote , elevated 25m above sea level , with a bit of land for veggies and livestock , then carry on .

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
True although point I was making is we are solely responsible for accelerated loss of other species critical to ecosystems. Argue it’s Darwinism, evolution and so forth but it’s unprecedented that one species causes the extinction of so many others. We’re unlike anything we’ve seen before and had it within our grasp not to kill ourselves and the planet with it.

Too many of us plus too much greed plus too many differing mindsets and viewpoints. For me they're the three main problems, which render any meaningful action almost impossible. I was in Brazil recently and they put my 10 items of shopping in about 5 separate plastic bags. Very little proper recycling too. A country of 210 million people. And that's just one of thousands of examples of the lack of effort entire countries are still making. I came back thinking what is the bloody point of me scrubbing out my baked bean pots

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As a suspected a thread like this soon flushes out NSC's finest odd balls and crypto fascists, you know who you are...

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Should I be looking to purchase a retirement home somewhat North of where we currently? No just a little bit North, but Scandinavia, where their climate could go up a bit and I'd still be comfortable, or should I be getting as far away from the impact of the ice melting at the North Pole, and the glaciers disappearing into the seas?

This is my investment its going to be the new ibiza.
Going to be worth zillions in 20 years,paradise https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/l...beautiful-untouched-scottish-island-for-sale/

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I blame Big Business, I mean, none of this is our fault is it? What they're doing to the planet is disgraceful, we need more protests to show them how angry we are at what they're doing.

Anyway, where's everybody jetting off to on their holidays this year?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I blame Big Business, I mean, none of this is our fault is it? What they're doing to the planet is disgraceful, we need more protests to show them how angry we are at what they're doing.

Anyway, where's everybody jetting off to on their holidays this year?

Corfu thanks!

Btw. If you want to see the flights in the air at the present time download the app Planefinder which you can get for free...using the screen pan out and it shows you the millions of planes in the air at that time...it’s very nerdy BUT it shows just how many flights are made in real time! Over the us, it blocks out the whole map with the amount of planes in the sky!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The fact that mankind might well die out is an irrelevance to the planet. Other organisms more suited to the resulting conditions with thrive and expand.

So what you're saying is the lawyers will survive and the rest of us will cease to exist?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
How much does the sea level have to rise before it's gone?
How much is the sea level being predicted to rise?

I genuinely don't know the answer to either, it may be 100% safe, but that's what I'd be checking.

Very very good questions. Bet thats why its so cheap, flood risk isnt it :censored: :moo:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Erm, what level do they think the sea will rise by and does anyone know the height above sea level of the Royal Pavilion area of Brighton? Just asking for a friend who lives around that way, Thanks.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well he's wrong there. In the future the Sun will expand and swallow up the earth. All life on earth will die.

But the good news is the expanding sun may make other planets inhabitable as they warm up. We have about 5 billion years to sort something out. We probably still won’t be ready!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But the good news is the expanding sun may make other planets inhabitable as they warm up.
One covered in water and oxygen? Even if that worked, the sun would then shrink again and become a dwarf, and our new outer planet would freeze.

We have about 5 billion years to sort something out. We probably still won’t be ready!
Indeed, we should have started 50 years ago, then we'd have been alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here