Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 'enjoy life while you can: in 20 years global warming will hit the fan'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The problem with these predictions is that it's always been "in 20 years' time". Back in the 1990s climate scientists would excitedly claim: "We've keyed all the historical information into this like, really big computer, and it's predicted that by 2020 the bits of the UK that aren't flooded will be scorched desert." Apart from demonstrating a touching faith in the infallibility of computer programmers all it really did was leave themselves hostages to fortune.

No one but the very stupid actually denies climate change, but wolf has been cried so often it is very hard to take all these Doomsday scenarios seriously. Maybe they're 100% right this time, who knows? Rather like Brexit I'm bored with it, even though I know it's important.

Wolf has been cried by certain figures, wolf has been denied by plenty others -- usually generously funded by Exxon or some of the plethora of US 'think'tanks dispensing neoliberal or conservative advice. The IPCC, on the other hand, have been extremely clear and consistent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and another thing. I hate it when people go on about 'saving the planet'. The planet will be just fine thank you very much. In its history species have come and gone and the balance of gases in the atmosphere has changed several times; but the old rock keeps on orbiting the sun. When we say 'saving the planet' we actually mean saving our own sorry arses.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
... and another thing. I hate it when people go on about 'saving the planet'. The planet will be just fine thank you very much. In its history species have come and gone and the balance of gases in the atmosphere has changed several times; but the old rock keeps on orbiting the sun. When we say 'saving the planet' we actually mean saving our own sorry arses.

Lovelock's entire thesis is that the planet -- or Gaia -- in the long run will be fine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And don’t forget , the government isn’t going to be evacuating us all to a colony planet. We will be left to suffer and die as earth turns to a crisp while a few billionaires and some frozen spunk jet off to Mars. See ya.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
According to a UN report ( May 2109 )

" We are already in the Earth's sixth mass extinction wave. "

" We are on track to lose a million species of plants and animals, many within a matter of decades ( about 1/8 of all species on Earth ) "

" The last five extinction waves were triggered by natural causes but scientists say there is no doubt this one is man made "

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whether you believe in conspiracies or not there are some increasingly interesting examples of suppressed data/voices and manipulated data sources by some very large organisations to heighten the perceived threat from climate change.

There are also lots of interesting studies/pronouncements on the likely impact of the Grand Solar Minimum we’ve just entered with some schools of thought suggesting the exponentially lower solar output may well “spare our blushes” and correct the situation.

Whilst this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing all we can to change our increasingly poor habits, develop new technology and increase the use of sustainable/renewable energy production it is interesting that the counter argument is always there if you know where to look.

When a post starts with that sentence and ends with the words “...if you know where to look”, you know you are reading the cretinous drivel of a conspiracy nut.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
According to a UN report ( May 2109 )

" We are already in the Earth's sixth mass extinction wave. "

" We are on track to lose a million species of plants and animals, many within a matter of decades ( about 1/8 of all species on Earth ) "

" The last five extinction waves were triggered by natural causes but scientists say there is no doubt this one is man made "

The human race is in it’s endgame now. We’ll be gone in 50 years. Sooner of Trump gets the nuclear war he’s currently trying to curate in the Middle East and N. Korea.

It’s ****ing criminal that we have cause me so much damage and will be taking so many species with us. What a bunch of **** ups we are.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What is your source for this strange claim?
Why aren't you concerning yourself with clearly documented recent conspiracies, such as Cambridge Analytica? You're welcome to retrieve some prior posts indicating that you have posted on this matter.
Tell us precisely who these 'very large organisations' are that you refer to in your first sentence.

It’s not a strange claim it’s a counter point. I’m not a non believer in climate change nor am I discounting the anthropogenic source of climate change I’m simply saying it’s possible we’ve been fed a specific version of the truth.

NASA for one it has been claimed, [then discredited and then re-claimed by other scientists ]has manipulated data to show exacerbated warming trends when in fact some locations show no net change in temp and some locations show a net reversal in temperature rises.

I’m merely pointing out that if you look closely enough there is still ambiguity over the data, and all I’m saying here is mankind may be spared its blushes for our causation of any warming by an even bigger force than us - the Sun. [space.com has a myriad of articles talking to this very situation with broad conclusion that a decline in solar influence would likely lead to regional but widespread cooling - such as that seen during the Maunder Minimum which was a period often referred to as the little ice age].

If you believe an inconvenient truth the Arctic was supposed to be ice free in the summer by now, it isn’t, and the Greenland ice cap would be gone with global sea levels having risen 20m as a result - they aren’t and it hasn’t and in fact the last two years specifically show a similar melt ratio closer to the 1980-2010 median [commonly used climatic data from which to compare] / lots of articles on http://nsidc.org/Greenland-today if you’re interested.

My only point was we should be wary of implying the statistical significance of our dataset as far as climate is concerned because we have such a paucity of raw data. The climate proxies available to us from ice cores etc are of course analogously useful but don’t necessarily tell us the whole picture - beware of media influenced hyper normalisation.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
When a post starts with that sentence and ends with the words “...if you know where to look”, you know you are reading the cretinous drivel of a conspiracy nut.

Each to their own I suppose but hell you believe what you’re fed without inspecting data and researching for yourself.

Now get back to building your ark/bunker or compound to live in as the end draws nearer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I agree with Lovelock that the tipping point has probably already passed. We might get a bit more than 20 years, but within my lifetime, and certainly my children's, I expect to see 100's of millions starve due to famine and the inevitable wars which follow.

We'll avoid the worst of it in the UK, but life will look very different.

Will we avoid the worst of it? Much of the country will be gone when the Antarctic ice sheet melts.

VP-COMP-UK-FLOODING-2.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Having to move inland, will certainly constitute avoiding the worst of it, yes

Will we avoid the worst of it? Much of the country will be gone when the Antarctic ice sheet melts.

VP-COMP-UK-FLOODING-2.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
On that 60 metre rise map, Brighton does pretty much become an island, almost like it's own independent state .... and what have lost? Norfolk, the fens, Southern Hampshire? hmmm maybe not so bad, might be time to cancel the Valley Gardens work though

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The human race is in it’s endgame now. We’ll be gone in 50 years. Sooner of Trump gets the nuclear war he’s currently trying to curate in the Middle East and N. Korea.

It’s ****ing criminal that we have cause me so much damage and will be taking so many species with us. What a bunch of **** ups we are.

It was once said by someone very learned ( who I can't remember ) that the moment we discovered the radio wave on earth was the moment we condemned ourselves to our own extinction.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Each to their own I suppose but hell you believe what you’re fed without inspecting data and researching for yourself.

Now get back to building your ark/bunker or compound to live in as the end draws nearer.

When a post starts with that sentence you know you’re reading the cretinous drivel of a conspiracy nut.
I’m filling up my bingo card quickly here. Can you post a on Alex Jones video and somehow link it to 9/11 then I can collect my winnings and go back to my bunker?

If you really believe that garbage you’re fed on the Internet , you’re a moron.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Agee completely, we’ve evolved to the point where our own actions will probably wipe mankind out. The planet will continue and other life forms will evolve to take advantage of what’s left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here