Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Conservatives oppose it. Oh, and also oppose the sugar tax. They really are a bunch of prehistoric *****.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

Cycle lanes round here are certainly far less congested and many cases can be quicker than using the roads - but to be honest some of them are so narrow I can only just get my car along them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

4. They’re bad for business
Some of the noisiest opponents of recent London bike lanes have been individual business owners, who argue that a separated bike lane and any loss of parking will be fatal to their enterprise.

In broad terms, however, this is completely wrong. Towns, cities and individual high streets are changing in how they compete. The growth of internet shopping means they must appeal more as destinations, which is hard to do amid wall-to-wall traffic.

Studies have shown that shop owners tend to overestimate the proportion of customers who arrive by car, and that consumers on bikes often purchase more in the long term.

Perhaps the most comprehensive study of the real-world impact of cycle lanes, undertaken in New York City, found businesses on streets with separated bike routes grew on average more quickly than those without. In contrast, I know of no evidence that points the other way.

This is the one that gets me.

Flick Kendall, who clearly must have a doctorate in Urban Transportation was spouting this bollox, the other week.
It's just so amazingly wrong I have no idea why it keeps popping up, as the first line of defence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems balanced :lol:

[tweet]1146453745531793408[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread says it all

[tweet]1132013864717971456[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good article

There are a number of blocks to getting the cycling network up to where it needs to be, financial, practical, but the biggest is the political will to make the required changes.

Probably this is because for every 1 person who reads a sensible article like this, there are 10 others who read, for example, “Corbyn declares war on car drivers” or “looney left council wastes money on cycle lanes”

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I propose that the government legalises fox hunting, but only on bicycles.

The revolution needs a little push.

(Don't worry, the foxes will be safe - they can't ride bicycles!)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just used one from Shoreham to Worthing and back, lovely day to cycle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If only it joined the one from Hove to Brighton.
and/or
Climping to Bognor. (which we will be riding soon, on our way to see Toy Story 4)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The idea of induced demand – more cycle space brings more cyclists, not enough cycle paths, bloody pedestrians

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Too right.

Worthing to Shoreham High St. Excellent route
Hove Lagoon to the Marina. Mostly a good route

Shoreham High St to Hove Lagoon. Only if you have a death wish

If only it joined the one from Hove to Brighton.
and/or
Climping to Bognor. (which we will be riding soon, on our way to see Toy Story 4)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That one does work. Although it gets a little bit....make it up yourself as you get to the promenade and pier without any real decision on how it should continue...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Too right.

If you can get in the slip stream of a 700 bus, it can be fast though. :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Too right.

Worthing to Shoreham along the coast path is excellent. Hove to Brighton is awful though: crowds at a tangent to cyclists. Go inland through Shoreham, although the coast road is only really dangerous by the parked cars near the lighthouse. High tide may mean the lock gates are open for boats.

Shoreham to Steyning by cyclepath and back by the Coombes Road is an easy ride. Just don't go up the bostal by mistake.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well look, there are clearly a couple of pinch points where you have to take it slow, certainly between West St and the Pier where there's a tonne of tourists and a bit behind the King Alfred which is a bit of a weird part of the route. But the point is, there is a cycle lane, it's clearly delineated, there's not potholes all through it and the cyclist isn't jostling with lorries or the afore mentioned 700 bus for space on a main arterial route.

If I could add just one piece of cycling infrastructure to the whole Brighton area, Hove Lagoon to Shoreham High Street would be the one.

Worthing to Shoreham along the coast path is excellent. Hove to Brighton is awful though: crowds at a tangent to cyclists. Go inland through Shoreham, although the coast road is only really dangerous by the parked cars near the lighthouse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here