Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Britain's brutalist playgrounds

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's an old article (that's just popped up again) so I won't be surprised if we haven't 'done this' before.
But I'll also be very surprised if this still doesn't cough up some great, eye-watering, off season stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...list-playgrounds-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

Churchill Gardens estate in Pimlico, London, 1978

58-768x540.jpg

Balfron Tower playground, Poplar, London, 2015
de5199fea6e24254d45ab42ce13b9d32--tower-hamlets-architectural-styles.jpg

Our local slide was comparatively mahooosive.
But halfway down it leveled off for a couple of feet before the second descent.

No guide rails - naturally.

On optimum slide days, with the correct polyester nylon blend shorts on, even the most timid of slidophiles would generate enough speed to take off at the start of the second descent.

If we were lucky we'd land back onto the downslope.
If we were lucky enough we'd land on the flat run off.
If we were somewhat unlucky we'd clear the whole thing landing on the floor.

Concrete floor - naturally.

Happy dayz.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're not much better than that here now. It's weird as the parks up here are incredible, but they don't seem to put any effort into the playgrounds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's an old article (that's just popped up again) so I won't be surprised if we haven't 'done this' before.
But I'll also be very surprised if this still doesn't cough up some great, eye-watering, off season stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...list-playgrounds-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

View attachment 112327

Balfron Tower playground, Poplar, London, 2015
View attachment 112328

Our local slide was comparatively mahooosive.
But halfway down it leveled off for a couple of feet before the second descent.

No guide rails - naturally.

On optimum slide days, with the correct polyester nylon blend shorts on, even the most timid of slidophiles would generate enough speed to take off at the start of the second descent.

If we were lucky we'd land back onto the downslope.
If we were lucky enough we'd land on the flat run off.
If we were somewhat unlucky we'd clear the whole thing landing on the floor.

Concrete floor - naturally.

Happy dayz.

We had one a bit like that in our village rec. It was made of steel - you could fry an egg on it in summer (or the back of your legs), and the steel/polyester/friction combination created enough static to power the village :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

View attachment 112327

Wow I went to school right next to that estate (didn't live anywhere near there though) and remember that playground!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At our rec in EP (Lashmar Road) was a climbing frame with about a 15 foot gap to the roundabout. We used to tie a rope from the top of the frame to the roundabout. About ten of us would get as much speed up on one circuit of the roundabout whilst someone would grab the loose rope. When it would then tighten up and send whoever was holding the rope about 15 foot in the air, all good fun and bruises!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here