Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 British Grand Prix

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
There must be a few seasoned attendees of the British Grand Prix on here. I’m going to my first one, and was just wondering what time I’ll need to arrive at the park and ride if I’m going to find myself somewhere decent to stand at the track. Any recommendations of the best places to head for would be most welcomed. We’ve only got general admission tickets.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I used to work in motorsport. I also used to live in Bicester just 16 miles from Silverstone. My daughter and i attended many GP's.
So, here we go. On the Sunday we would be in the queue to get in by 04:00, Gates used to open at 05:00. There wouldd then be a stampede by the " runners" to secure a good spot on top of the spectator banking. Once in placec head down little nap until the burber bars are upto speed, then a bacon buttie and a cuppa. There would be banter among the crowds until the firstsupport race.
All this has been necessary because year after year there would be more effing hospitality units and less places to stand/sit. So best of luck in your endeavours, enjoy the day and BE ON THE FIRST PARK AND RIDE BUS.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Brian, I'm going for the first time as well. I'm taking my lad so I've no chance of being on the first park and ride bus. If you do get there late (ie 7am) with General Admission is it that you don't get the best view or is it more like you'll get no view at all? Where would you go on the course if you were on one of the later buses? Thanks

I used to work in motorsport. I also used to live in Bicester just 16 miles from Silverstone. My daughter and i attended many GP's.
So, here we go. On the Sunday we would be in the queue to get in by 04:00, Gates used to open at 05:00. There wouldd then be a stampede by the " runners" to secure a good spot on top of the spectator banking. Once in placec head down little nap until the burber bars are upto speed, then a bacon buttie and a cuppa. There would be banter among the crowds until the firstsupport race.
All this has been necessary because year after year there would be more effing hospitality units and less places to stand/sit. So best of luck in your endeavours, enjoy the day and BE ON THE FIRST PARK AND RIDE BUS.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Brian, I'm going for the first time as well. I'm taking my lad so I've no chance of being on the first park and ride bus. If you do get there late (ie 7am) with General Admission is it that you don't get the best view or is it more like you'll get no view at all? Where would you go on the course if you were on one of the later buses? Thanks
Are you familiar with the lay out of Silverstone. Best advice I can offer is head for the hangar straight. There is a sort of perimeter road that follows the shape of the circuit, get on that and I hate to say it keep walking until you find somewhere. The increased hospitality units are what drove my daughter and I away and are the reason for little general spectating areas, so we now do Spa. A much more enjoyable weekend and not that much more cost wise.
Enjoy the experience.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I've never done the park and ride as I always camp so i can't advise on that.

I usually get to the gates about an hour before they open, and head for the general admission area in front of the Luffield grandstand. The best spots have people with early access passes, and a bunch of their mates chairs, all running to get there the moment the gates open. There's still space for a few hours to get amongst it though, hard to recall exactly how long as I don't tend to think about it. What I would say, is by the afternoon, it's rammed. So don't see a space and think it's a bit too cosy to another group, and look for somewhere else, get in there and get chatting to those around you. Everyone's generally pretty friendly and if you make friends with those around you they'll keep an eye on your seat and coats etc if you nip off to get a drink/burger etc.

The other popular GA spot is Vale, massive bank of grass. I've only ever been there for Qualifying and I'm not to keen on it but plenty love it and go there every year. I guess one of the good things from there is easy access to the track after the race, to see the podium etc. The exit of Becketts is decent too, it's a bit elevated, but I imagine you'd get the regulars at the top of the hill there getting there spots early. If anyone is going GA on Saturday for qualifying, I seriously suggest planning to be at Maggotts for Qualifying. You can get really close to the track and to see the cars fly through Maggotts and Becketts at full speed is incredible. Then wander round to exit of Becketts for the GP2 race.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t mind a long walk when I get there, it’s the early morning my boy will struggle with. I’ve heard Spa is a better bet. We may not have a choice next year if they get rid of the British GP. Ah well, thanks for the tips.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don’t mind a long walk when I get there, it’s the early morning my boy will struggle with. I’ve heard Spa is a better bet. We may not have a choice next year if they get rid of the British GP. Ah well, thanks for the tips.

If you arrive at 7am you should be fine. Just looking online at the map, and with Luffield it makes it look like the GA ends on the bend but it actually continues up behind the area marked on the map for Disabled Viewing. If you head under the Luffield grandstand to this area, there is concrete steps basically, big enough to put a camp chair down on. Everyone's seats go in side by side so it basically becomes a seated area and most people getting chatty with those around them. Enjoy, you'll have a blast, just get your spot first, worry about food/drink/merch/toilets once your seat is in position :)

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
You must do Spa. Do the whole weekend and stand and watch them through Eau Rouge during practice, the TV doesn't do it justice.
Camp sites are a blast as long as sleep is not on your agenda. [emoji16][emoji23][emoji1787]. Plus the frickadelan and chips is a must as is the waffles. Both are in plentiful supply around the track. We watch the
race at Pouhon (think that's right spelling)
and we stay at the Eau Rouge campsite.
If you go avoid the Brussels ring road, it's a bloody nightmare.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You must do Spa...If you go avoid the Brussels ring road, it's a bloody nightmare.

Good advice. Imagine spending all that money to go to a Grand Prix only to end up watching cars going round and round in circles.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Jealous!!

It's a great weekend, especially if you are camping and seeing all the different races.

No real tips though sorry, just enjoy

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You must do Spa. Do the whole weekend and stand and watch them through Eau Rouge during practice, the TV doesn't do it justice.
Camp sites are a blast as long as sleep is not on your agenda. [emoji16][emoji23][emoji1787]. Plus the frickadelan and chips is a must as is the waffles. Both are in plentiful supply around the track. We watch the
race at Pouhon (think that's right spelling)
and we stay at the Eau Rouge campsite.
If you go avoid the Brussels ring road, it's a bloody nightmare.

From a TV viewer’s angle, Spa always seems special. The undulating circuit, beautiful scenery and more often than not unpredictable rain making dramatic racing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spa is up there as one of the very best F1 circuits

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
If you arrive at 7am you should be fine. Just looking online at the map, and with Luffield it makes it look like the GA ends on the bend but it actually continues up behind the area marked on the map for Disabled Viewing. If you head under the Luffield grandstand to this area, there is concrete steps basically, big enough to put a camp chair down on. Everyone's seats go in side by side so it basically becomes a seated area and most people getting chatty with those around them. Enjoy, you'll have a blast, just get your spot first, worry about food/drink/merch/toilets once your seat is in position :)

This is what I did last time and had a great day. For me it was as much about the atmosphere and general experience as it was about the actual racing. A brilliant day out.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Only trouble with Spa is the Dutch who since Verstappen has come on to the scene are in general a bunch of arrogant *****.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Only trouble with Spa is the Dutch who since Verstappen has come on to the scene are in general a bunch of arrogant *****.
I’m sure they’ve always been, long before Verstappen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here