Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Silly Sayings

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Have a nice rest of your day'

Leaves me hurriedly running to the Grammar Police. I'm easy about new speak but for some reason this one irks me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It went down like a lead balloon. When did you last see one of these?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
"Hitting our straps" - as in "our training session was excellent today, we were all really hitting our straps". Literally no clue what the straps they are referring to are.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry for.

Self explanatory I think.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
'Have a nice rest of your day'

Leaves me hurriedly running to the Grammar Police. I'm easy about new speak but for some reason this one irks me.

Leaves me running hurriedly, surely? Especially if it's to the Grammar Police to whom you are running (hurriedly).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"The elephant in the room".

So, what are you saying? There is an elephant in the room but nobody can see it? Elephants are pretty big, is it hiding? When did anyone ever accidentally trip over an elephant? Or look everywhere for their elephant only to find it was on their head the whole time?

No, if you don't see an elephant in the room I'd say there is a good chance that the room is infact void of elephants.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.

My father circa early-70's :lolol:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
"Bet my mortgage on it" - how does that work? How do you bet with a debt?

I’ve always assumed this to mean someone willing to lay the bet would ultimately be responsible for paying off your mortgage if they lost but yes tis a bit silly...

Someone at work just doesn’t get them [idioms] and commonly mixes them up - a bit like Ron Burgundy in Anchorman.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I’ve always assumed this to mean someone willing to lay the bet would ultimately be responsible for paying off your mortgage if they lost but yes tis a bit silly...

Someone at work just doesn’t get them [idioms] and commonly mixes them up - a bit like Ron Burgundy in Anchorman.

So "I am willing to win my mortgage being paid off", but what are you betting if you lose? To have your mortgage doubled?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't know about sayings, but using the word 'super' in front of 'friendly' or 'happy' e.g.,., I'm super happy ...

really, really p**ses me off. An american term which is creeping into general usage,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"The elephant in the room".

So, what are you saying? There is an elephant in the room but nobody can see it? Elephants are pretty big, is it hiding? When did anyone ever accidentally trip over an elephant? Or look everywhere for their elephant only to find it was on their head the whole time?

No, if you don't see an elephant in the room I'd say there is a good chance that the room is infact void of elephants.

This saying relates to a black and white tv sketch where two people were in a small lounge talking normally, as though nothing was out the ordinary, whilst there was an elephant in the room. The point being they were both ignoring and avoiding a very obvious talking point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know about sayings, but using the word 'super' in front of 'friendly' or 'happy' e.g.,., I'm super happy ...

really, really p**ses me off. An american term which is creeping into general usage,

Ha. I use this all the time. Im always picking up sayings from people. A new one I use is “ah, too bad” which a number of Northern European friends use when speaking English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here