Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Silly Sayings

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Zaha was definitely clipped there.

el punal

Live on stage - well, whoever it is is hardly likely to be dead.

Pre-order your tickets/club shirt/new phone etc. etc. - how on earth can you pre-order anything? If you want it, you order it or book it. You can make a reservation or make an advance booking or leave a deposit. Those actions indicate that you have ordered the item or service. The expression “pre-order” is meaningless gobbledygook.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Live on stage - well, whoever it is is hardly likely to be dead.

Pre-order your tickets/club shirt/new phone etc. etc. - how on earth can you pre-order anything? If you want it, you order it or book it. You can make a reservation or make an advance booking or leave a deposit. Those actions indicate that you have ordered the item or service. The expression “pre-order” is meaningless gobbledygook.

You can order something that's available now but pre-order something that's not available yet.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I hate the terminologies '' It's not rocket science is it '' and '' just run that past me again ''

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure if this should be in the office bell cheese thread, but we've got a consultant in at work who uses the phrase: "That feature's now dropped".

Apparently that means "That feature has now been released" rather than "that feature has now been removed".

WTF?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
" Early doors "......used regularly by footballers but I have never heard it used by anyone outside a footballing context.
Where does it come from?...." We went behind early doors "....." We went behind early on/ early in the game etc " ....I get.....but " early doors?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am reaching out to you

Nope, you have a question for me or something you want to tell me. The last thing I want you to do is reach out for me, that’s just fecking weird. You can almost certainly feck off if you are reaching out too as you won’t get a reply from me.

And no I don’t have a window in my day, only in my house/office (I’m one of the lucky ones who does have windows in his office)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we're talking about football guff 'the final third' does my head in (that's probably another one for some people).

In general use, when TV or radio presenters say 'see you tomorrow' at the end of a show seems like wishful thinking, while 'quite unique' or 'very unique' is just lazy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
" Early doors "......used regularly by footballers but I have never heard it used by anyone outside a footballing context.
Where does it come from?...." We went behind early doors "....." We went behind early on/ early in the game etc " ....I get.....but " early doors?

apparently its a term from getting in the pub just after opening.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Isn't is something to do with matinees at the theatre, or have I just made that up?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“One of the first”

You’re either the first or you’re not. In most cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here