Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Thread : England Women vs USA Womens World Cup Semifinal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Love your new avatar. An album cover, or ancient art from a Peruvian cave?

It is a bit of chalk carving from an obscure bit of beach down here in the EXTREME south east :lolol: :bigwave:

Edit: I'd use this if I knew how :lolol:

surface agent.gif

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whenever the ref is told to come to the screen and "check for a possible penalty ", the ref ALWAYS gives it. By observation, that's what happens.

Not sure that's how VAR was intended to be implemented. Must be the power of suggestion, combined with the pressure of being put on the spot.

Or it could be because the 5 officials in front of the screens are good at spotting potential fouls etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neville:

'It was difficult after we went down to 10 MEN'!

Here comes the offended parade.

Pull your G string up and make me a cup of tea. FFS.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not very high I’d imagine. After all, women’s football was banned for 50 years by our FA and is still recovering.

So, what is your point?

My point is that I suspect a high proportion of BBCs viewers (like me) were watching because it was England playing and wanted to support our country. I haven’t a clue who’s playing tomorrow and certainly won’t be watching. I have no interest in it.

BBC has been ramming the viewing numbers down our throats for days now without acknowledging that people are tuning in because it’s England, not because it’s football.

Having said all that I have to admit that the standard was much higher than I had expected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hope Solo is a magnificent name.

I commented yesterday, chez HWT, that Gigi Salmon will soon be challenged in the name stakes by Froufrou Tench. Mrs T thought this was so hilarious she laughed so hard she blew her left ovary out her backside. :shrug:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Or it could be because the 5 officials in front of the screens are good at spotting potential fouls etc.

Maybe, but the ref is supposed to be in charge (still) and able to form their own view. Which, as it turns out, is invariably to say "penalty!" You may be OK with that, I think it's bollocks.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Whenever the ref is told to come to the screen and "check for a possible penalty ", the ref ALWAYS gives it. By observation, that's what happens.

Not sure that's how VAR was intended to be implemented. Must be the power of suggestion, combined with the pressure of being put on the spot.

Probably because the VAR crew are not going to tell the ref to come to the screen and check, if they haven't seen something that they are pretty sure is a penalty. If they see nothing, they won't call the ref over. So, the percentage of penalties given after the ref has been told to come to the screen is always going to be very high.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Maybe, but the ref is supposed to be in charge (still) and able to form their own view. Which, as it turns out, is invariably to say "penalty!" You may be OK with that, I think it's bollocks.

Yep. I agree. I totally want the ref to be in charge, and equally, I want to be able to trust the VAR assistants as well.

Personally, I hate it when refs don’t let the linos make calls. Too often they’d rather make all the calls themselves and I think we need to trust in all the officials.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well that was pretty good , shame that we had such a duff penalty.

I wonder if any of the people who thought this women's world cup would be crap have had their minds changed.....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My point is that I suspect a high proportion of BBCs viewers (like me) were watching because it was England playing and wanted to support our country. I haven’t a clue who’s playing tomorrow and certainly won’t be watching. I have no interest in it.

BBC has been ramming the viewing numbers down our throats for days now without acknowledging that people are tuning in because it’s England, not because it’s football.

Having said all that I have to admit that the standard was much higher than I had expected.

That last line is the first sign that it has worked though. Previous to that you may not have tuned in at all. Now you might. And with that comes more interest, more investment, better standards etc.

I think it will only get better.

Now I have another team I can support.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Well that was pretty good , shame that we had such a duff penalty.

I wonder if any of the people who thought this women's world cup would be crap have had their minds changed.....

Yep, I’m one of them. Mainly down to my young kids watching and enjoying it without any preconceptions. Will I be purchasing a BHAW ST for £20? Nope. I enjoyed it but I have no passion for it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

That's fair comment.

For many viewers, the WWC was something of an interesting novelty, like Netball in the Commonwealth Games, Curling / Women's Skeleton in the Winter Olympics.

Or tennis at Wimbledon for 2 weeks a year.

Those interested in sport will often watch it as there's been some home success in recent years to cheer on. And we're all patriotic to some degree.

But as soon as it’s all over, that’s pretty much it done in the minds of the viewers.

Were it not, the attendances of domestic women's football matches on a weekly basis would be very different to what they currently are.

At least with GB Women qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics based on England's success, there won't be too long to wait for another shot at glory.

The likes of Scotland's Erin Cuthbert and Jess Fishlock from Wales are likely to be in contention for that too.

So as far as the chance of success goes, the future's bright...but probably not Millie Bright.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The women proved that they can play good and attractive football. I must say that against my expectations, I watched the last few England games and was very impressed at times. However, I cannot see the women's game taking off, as where are all the fans going to come from? It already costs me almost 1500 for my ticket and two lads plus parking. That's without any extras. I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking at the cost and wondering if it's worth it. And that's without considering the time factor of supporting two separate teams.

Sure It would be impossible to take off like the men's game over here with silly wages, but in the US it is very popular as a woman's sport in it's own right. It certainly needs to be subsidised over here but then most of the Prem teams can afford to do so.

I read on here a while ago that Bloom was planning to build a mini stadium next to the Amex specifically for the women and Dev squad to share. The only other team sport for women, I may be corrected, is netball and field hockey and I think football could potentially be a lot more popular. Time will tell but if Bloom is confident in the potential of women's football I have no reason to doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here