Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Thread : England Women vs USA Womens World Cup Semifinal

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thought I'd create a thread for tonights match for those who are going to watch/follow. With the USA being the current World Champions and favourites to win the competition its going to be a tough match for the Lionesses but USA have shown they can be shaky at the back so if we play at our best I think we can do it.

Venue : Parc Olympique Lyonnais
Kick-off : 8pm BST

I really, really hope that Neville doesn't go with Duggan again tonight as shes been quite poor as she comes back from injury. I'd play Carney instead, though I think she'll probably be used as an impact sub. Key players for England are Bronze, White and Houghton. I'm going for a 3-2 England win - what does everyone else think?

Come on you Lionesses!!!

Thought I'd create a thread for tonights match for those who are going to watch/follow. With the USA being the current World Champions and favourites to win the competition its going to be a tough match for the Lionesses but USA have shown they can be shaky at the back so if we play at our best I think we can do it.

Venue : Parc Olympique Lyonnais
Kick-off : 8pm BST

I really, really hope that Neville doesn't go with Duggan again tonight as shes been quite poor as she comes back from injury. I'd play Carney instead, though I think she'll probably be used as an impact sub. Key players for England are Bronze, White and Houghton. I'm going for a 3-2 England win - what does everyone else think?

Come on you Lionesses!!!

Duggan looks like a player being selected on reputation rather than form - I think Mead would be the better option.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Gotta be worth a nibble for us to qualify.

wer.JPG

The terrific Bronze taking out their match-winner with the dodgy coloured barnet.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Millie Bright's an accident waiting to happen at the back. She's slow and has got away with her sloppy errors so far.

The States will punish any mistakes from her or others - they've got far too much class going forward.

Very happy to be bounced here as I'd love England to progress, but I think it'll be a narrow 0-2 defeat against the #1 ranked side and holders.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll be watching.

The Guardian pod were speculating that Neville might deploy Lucy Bronze in midfield instead of fullback as he did the last time the teams met in a 2-2 draw, although I think she's probably best staying where she is and taking care of the dangerous Rapinoe.

Should be a cracking game UNLESS the yanks score early and then just shut up shop, which they are wont to do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Millie Bright's an accident waiting to happen at the back. She's slow and has got away with her sloppy errors so far.
I've watched England throughout this tournament and she is definitely the weak link. Undoubtedly bailed out too often by Steph Houghton who really is a class defender.

Make no mistake about this game - it will be won and lost on the English defensive display, because both sides are potent going forward.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Looking forward to this.

Semi Final against the Yanks?

Going to be a huge TV audience for this one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The States will punish any mistakes from her or others - they've got far too much class going forward.

Very happy to be bounced here as I'd love England to progress, but I think it'll be a narrow 0-2 defeat against the #1 ranked side and holders.

Must agree that she is the weak link. With whom could we replace her

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Bright was clearly ill in the run up to the norway game, and was a doubt to play - i can only assume she declared herself fit despite being under the weather and then proved exactly why she shouldn't have played. She certainly has to be back at her best tonight.

Duggan seems to offer more defensively than Mead, who I'm not that impressed with - Daly and Stanway are the two who have really stood out for me in shorter cameos and i certainly expect Daly to come on in the second half, she won't be afraid of the Americans

Key i guess will be centre mid, we've got enough at both ends to beat them but can we get enough of the ball in the middle?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Looking forward to this one. Hopefully it will be a brilliant game. I see it as a win/win as if the USA win (and then go on to win the final, which they would) then we get to see the fun as they snub the White House invitation!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looking forward to this one. Hopefully it will be a brilliant game. I see it as a win/win as if the USA win (and then go on to win the final, which they would) then we get to see the fun as they snub the White House invitation!

Yeah after Rapinoe's retort I want them to win the WC if we don't, an enjoyable further snub to the thin-skinned least popular President* of all time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Duggan looks like a player being selected on reputation rather than form - I think Mead would be the better option.

Not quite got why Duggan appears to have her place cemented in the team. After her move to Barca I thought she looked a much better all round player. But she started this tournament poorly and seems to have gone backwards. I think that Carney (probably my favourite player of all time) and Mead both look to be far better options.

Duggan has been giving the ball away far too easily and hasn't created much at all. We will need to have our form players at the very top of their game to beat the USA tonight...............and I think we might just about be able to do it.

Come on you Lionesses!!

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Can't wait for this one.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yeah after Rapinoe's retort I want them to win the WC if we don't, an enjoyable further snub to the thin-skinned least popular President* of all time.

Agreed. Would love to see her "take a knee" before the game tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here