Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Thread : England Women vs USA Womens World Cup Semifinal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thank you. That's the most irritating thing about many of the posters on here. They only want you to have an opinion if it's in line with theirs. Typical of a left-leaning city like Brighton. Well I've got a bloody opinion that says women's football is of a very poor standard compared to men's. Not altogether surprising as they've only just started playing the game, but it's a fact.

What percentage of Nsc posters live in Brighton? I would say less than half.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank you. That's the most irritating thing about many of the posters on here. They only want you to have an opinion if it's in line with theirs. Typical of a left-leaning city like Brighton. Well I've got a bloody opinion that says women's football is of a very poor standard compared to men's. Not altogether surprising as they've only just started playing the game, but it's a fact.
Are you thick?* Having an opinion on the quality of the football is neither here nor there - I have no issues with [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] posting to say as much, because he's right. What is annoying is your load of shite about it being a niche sport and belonging with minor sports as a footnote, good riddance and all that shit.

You're wrong. We are a football loving nation, and 11m people tuned in last night to prove the point. Is it still light years behind the men's game? Yes. But that will change as young girls are exposed to the female game. Do we want a society where sporty girls have nowhere to go with their talents, and where the only football girls we're interested in are the WAGs? You also miss the wider point that the thirst for live sport needs to go far deeper than ever before because the media landscape has changed so much. With people able to pick and choose what and when they watch, there is a premium for live sport, but there are multiple media companies all chasing rights to a finite number of traditional sports. It's only natural that women's sport is a new avenue worth exploring, notwithstanding the obvious redressing of the imbalance in male and female sport coverage. Professional women's football deserves it's chance in the spotlight and it will improve as the domestic circle of players swells over the years.

Meanwhile, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Don't pour your shite out here.

*No need to answer because the answer is of course "yes, yes you are".

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was one of the 11million watching a whole game for the first time .

USA at times looked pretty good but my god was some of it comical. The crowd sounded like an U21 friendly when they used to pack it out with school kids.

It was fairly entertaining and its a shame we lost .

Will I be watching more women's football ? me personally - no.

It is a bit strange the media treating it like the men's semi but out and about on sites and work today, no one has mentioned a thing. I think people watched but not many really cared. Maybe that's something that comes once it becomes more established.

Nothing against it for those that like it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was one of the 11million watching a whole game for the first time .

USA at times looked pretty good but my god was some of it comical. The crowd sounded like an U21 friendly when they used to pack it out with school kids.

It was fairly entertaining and its a shame we lost .

Will I be watching more women's football ? me personally - no.

It is a bit strange the media treating it like the men's semi but out and about on sites and work today, no one has mentioned a thing. I think people watched but not many really cared. Maybe that's something that comes once it becomes more established.

Nothing against it for those that like it.

And I would imagine the men's Europa Nations semi final would have been a bigger audience but for it being on pay for tv.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are you thick?* Having an opinion on the quality of the football is neither here nor there - I have no issues with [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] posting to say as much, because he's right. What is annoying is your load of shite about it being a niche sport and belonging with minor sports as a footnote, good riddance and all that shit.

You're wrong. We are a football loving nation, and 11m people tuned in last night to prove the point. Is it still light years behind the men's game? Yes. But that will change as young girls are exposed to the female game. Do we want a society where sporty girls have nowhere to go with their talents, and where the only football girls we're interested in are the WAGs? You also miss the wider point that the thirst for live sport needs to go far deeper than ever before because the media landscape has changed so much. With people able to pick and choose what and when they watch, there is a premium for live sport, but there are multiple media companies all chasing rights to a finite number of traditional sports. It's only natural that women's sport is a new avenue worth exploring, notwithstanding the obvious redressing of the imbalance in male and female sport coverage. Professional women's football deserves it's chance in the spotlight and it will improve as the domestic circle of players swells over the years.

Meanwhile, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Don't pour your shite out here.

There's 100+ years catching up to do, it'll take a while but things are moving quickly. Much more interest, and massively more investment. There were a few comedy moments of course (the shanked corner and hair-bun foul throw being a couple of them) but equally I wish Bong could put in a cross like one or two of those that led to goals. It wasn't all rubbish by any means.

Have to confess limited interest on my part until recently but junior has been working as a performance analyst with Lewes ladies team last season to help his Uni studies (and now will be doing so more formally) so have got to understand a bit more about what is going on. Whilst they're not at Albion's level yet, their last game of the season was vs Man Utd, it was televised on MUTV and streamed free on Youtube and the crowd was well over 10,000. Lewes' Ladies coach was Koeman's assistant at Southampton and Everton - there is a ton of ambition around what they are doing.

Having the WC on terrestrial TV has been great for exposure too - sure there will be plenty of newly-interested folk as a result.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Curling is oddly hypnotic. ostensibly I have absolutely ZERO interest in watching it, I never particularly look out for it, or look forward to it. Then I'll be channel-hopping during the Winter Olympics, randomly come across a curling match between Norway and Belgium, and boom. 3 hours later I'll still be sat there in front of it watching China vs Switzerland in the womens. Then I'll go down my local for an hour and ask them to press the red button so I can catch up on the Canadians. Weird.

As for Sunday, USA will walk all over whoever wins tonight so I doubt I'll bother tuning in, unless I am particularly bored.
Sometimes the mystique is a little more obvious. :lol:

"harder"
"harder"

35yzj8cl010qj0lq.jpg

boik

Indeed. You only have to look at tennis where women have been playing at a high level as long as men. Are the women better than the men at tennis. Almost certainly not. Does that stop womens tennis being entertaining and enjoyed by almost as many as the mens. Of course not.

Comparing the standard of womens football to mens is completely and utterly irrelevant, and yet the same people keep trotting it out. Did the Albion play the best standard of football in the lower reaches of the league.? Didn't stop us enjoying a lot of it though. Competition and excitement comes from fairly equal teams at whatever level battling it out to try and win.

Don't keep banging on about womens football not being at the same level at the mens. We get it. It's irrelevant.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Indeed. You only have to look at tennis where women have been playing at a high level as long as men. Are the women better than the men at tennis. Almost certainly not. Does that stop womens tennis being entertaining and enjoyed by almost as many as the mens. Of course not.

I prefer to watch women’s tennis. It’s a bit less of a serve fest than the men’s game, a bit more craft and guile on display rather than out and out power.

That’s my story anyway.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
England v Cameroon was an unmitigated disaster, towards the end the ref was ignoring VAR recommendations that would have led to a walk-off and match abandonned. Hopefully not representative of normal games!

it wasn't and use of VAR changed after it....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I prefer to watch women’s tennis. It’s a bit less of a serve fest than the men’s game, a bit more craft and guile on display rather than out and out power.

That’s my story anyway.

totally agree... i would argue that there is generally 'more tennis' in the woman's game than in the mens.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There's 100+ years catching up to do, it'll take a while but things are moving quickly. Much more interest, and massively more investment. There were a few comedy moments of course (the shanked corner and hair-bun foul throw being a couple of them) but equally I wish Bong could put in a cross like one or two of those that led to goals. It wasn't all rubbish by any means.

Have to confess limited interest on my part until recently but junior has been working as a performance analyst with Lewes ladies team last season to help his Uni studies (and now will be doing so more formally) so have got to understand a bit more about what is going on. Whilst they're not at Albion's level yet, their last game of the season was vs Man Utd, it was televised on MUTV and streamed free on Youtube and the crowd was well over 10,000. Lewes' Ladies coach was Koeman's assistant at Southampton and Everton - there is a ton of ambition around what they are doing.

Having the WC on terrestrial TV has been great for exposure too - sure there will be plenty of newly-interested folk as a result.

Some of the crossing has been as good as any crossing in the men's game, some of it has been very poor. I could say the same for pretty much every Albion game i have been to last season.

To me there was no different watching the Lionesses as there is watching the Lions, indifference building into heart racing intensity followed by disappointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here