Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Laps or dining table ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in a conversation recently where someone reckoned it was a bit common and definitely working class to eat ones tea/dinner from a tray on their laps. Got me thinking because I mostly do although we have a perfectly good dining room table which hardly ever gets used apart from Xmas.
So do you ? and is it a working class thing.

I can understand if you have young kids sitting up at the table though.

So are you a middle class social climber or the scum of the earth.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dancing on the Lap and on the Table are both somewhat lower class, but dine where you wish.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I sit at table. Other half has hers on lap watching “love island”

One of us is from Brighton, the other from Ilford.

Which is which?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Dining table, Not sure how you can enjoy eating your dinner off your lap.

Its all a bit grubby for me, but whatever suits you, sod what anyone else thinks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All up to the table most nights. In front of the TV (still with small tables) on a Saturday, or if there is a football match on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would guess we eat at the table four or five nights a week, give or take - generally if the three of us are eating at the same time - the busy afternoon/evening schedule of a nine-year old means that occasionally the lad needs to eat before us.

The other exception is weekends which brings Fun Food Friday - burgers & fries or pizza on laps in front of a Family Film. Fridays are really all about the Fs.

I think it's a good thing to all sit at the table for half an hour or so every day, with no other distractions going on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has made me wonder why we don't have any trays in our house though. They were used daily at home when I was a kid.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This has made me wonder why we don't have any trays in our house though. They were used daily at home when I was a kid.

Lost or broke when skidding down the hill when the snow comes ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I always eat at the dining table. I have just finished poached eggs on toast, sipping earl grey and am sitting at the dining table as I type.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Me and Mrs Crodo generally get home gut our housecoats on and then cook tea together and eat together at the dining table.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Always have breakfast at the table (but prefer it if I’m on my own with paper spread out).

Lap 5/7 evening meals

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Dinner at the dining table = upper class

Supper at the kitchen table = middle class

Tea out of your lap = working class

Eating out someone else's lap = ****ing class!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Always have breakfast on the 'island' in the kitchen.
Lunch is usually a sandwich ,whilst on the settee reading my paper and if there are only two of us for dinner, back to the island again.
Of course, this only applies when the servants have the day off!:wink:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Always eat at the table with the family as one of the few times the kids aren't looking at a screen. These days with on-demand tv and being able to stream/pause live TV there's no reason not to.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Lost or broke when skidding down the hill when the snow comes ???

It makes me happy to imagine Bozza sliding down Bear Road on a tray.

He’d be laughing like a drain with his little mittened hands gripping the crenellated edge, cheeks a rosy, an Albion scarf streaming behind him.

Until he reached the gyratory roundabout.

Oh dear.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would guess we eat at the table four or five nights a week, give or take - generally if the three of us are eating at the same time - the busy afternoon/evening schedule of a nine-year old means that occasionally the lad needs to eat before us.

The other exception is weekends which brings Fun Food Friday - burgers & fries or pizza on laps in front of a Family Film. Fridays are really all about the Fs.

I think it's a good thing to all sit at the table for half an hour or so every day, with no other distractions going on.

Switch burgers to Frankfurters to keep those F's flowing!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Eat at the table most nights. 18 year old daughter will always tries to sneak her food into her bedroom but always gets caught.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Table for us ... despite the boys being 16 & 13 it's a non-negotiable time, no phones and speak to us, if only for an hour ... just!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Dinner at the dining table = upper class

Supper at the kitchen table = middle class

Tea out of your lap = working class

Eating out someone else's lap = ****ing class!

Not if the other person was an incontinent tramp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here