Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I so hope Chelsea crash and burn......

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
First English managerial appointment at a top 4 club for many years, I want to see him do well. Don't understand all the dislike, if they'd have appointed another Italian or Spanish manager from a top flight club in their leagues everything would be ok?? I hope he makes a success of it and it gives other good young english managers a foot in somewhere else.

There's always black Sol Campbell plying his trade in the basement division. Maybe he'll be given the Tottenham job once Pochettino gets his wish to take over at Real Madrid.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
I hope he does well there. He could've taken the easy option of a pressure-free lucrative career in a Sky Sports studio, but instead he's put himself out there as a coach and manager. Too many of our top class former England players opt for the TV/media career, when they have a wealth of experience in the game that they could put to good use. When we start trawling round for a new England manager, I'd much prefer it if we have the likes of Lampard potentially in the frame, rather than going down the foreign route again because of a lack of decent english options.

Team FF.
With Easy 10 on this, I hope he does well, and if he does so maybe a future England manager. Brave decision, but, Chelsea will be a team in transition for the next few years and a possible ideal scenario for a young English manager to earn his stripes.
I get the reasons why Chelsea are not well liked, but hopefully this is a way forward for the way they and other clubs have behaved and conducted themselves in recent years and the beginning of an end to the dominance of a select few, but I suspect those other select few will continue on their current paths for a lot longer yet.
To a lesser extent (because of more realistic expectations) we could also argue a lack of experience at Premier League level a bit closer to home! Two young managers one season each managing at Championship level, young English/British managers should be encouraged at all levels.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yep, I love seeing bad things happen to Chelsea, but Lampard is a decent bloke.

He’s got a huge rebuilding job, given that every attack went through Hazard, and it will be interesting to see the extent to which he trusts the mass of young talent they’ve accumulated.

What Lampard has going for him is that there’s no realistic expectation that they will the league and the teams immediately behind them, Arsenal and Man U have even bigger problems than Chelsea do. So a realistic aim for the first and maybe second season is that he gets them back in the Champions league, bloods the younger players, makes the odd cup final and avoids being spanked by Liverpool or City. That will be a success, then he can build properly when the transfer ban ends.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Yep, I love seeing bad things happen to Chelsea, but Lampard is a decent bloke.

He’s got a huge rebuilding job, given that every attack went through Hazard, and it will be interesting to see the extent to which he trusts the mass of young talent they’ve accumulated.

What Lampard has going for him is that there’s no realistic expectation that they will the league and the teams immediately behind them, Arsenal and Man U have even bigger problems than Chelsea do. So a realistic aim for the first and maybe second season is that he gets them back in the Champions league, bloods the younger players, makes the odd cup final and avoids being spanked by Liverpool or City. That will be a success, then he can build properly when the transfer ban ends.

They’re in the Champions League.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As long as we get 6 points off them...

I'd be happy just to beat them once - they're the only team in the league* that we've never beaten (in the league that is).

*That we've played against - some of the newcomers in League 2 these days obviously haven't played us in the league (and hopefully never will if we stay in the PL.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Frank Lampard is a decent bloke and excellent professional.

Chelsea however, can go and f"ck themselves.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No great Chelsea fan, but respect that they have not gone for a managerial superstar.

I'd much, much rather see Man Utd crash and burn

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think Frank will have it made, as he has ready made excuses and goodwill of the fans I would quite like to see young English managers thrive, Potter obviously most of all. Chelsea have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to young players with about 493 out on permanent loan. Loftus Cheek and Odoi are serious talents and it is a blow that they are both out injured. Chelsea should just go all out to enjoy this season and blood a good few young players, Abraham and Tomori to name a few. ‘You never win anything with youngsters’ jumps to mind. Would be bloody lovely to get some points of them never seen us get as much as a brass farthing off them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Of course he is, but he has shot himself in the foot so many times now I’m surprised he can still walk

He walked onto the pitch at HT v BHA at the Bridge. He waved and saluted the BHA faithful in his usual enthusiastic manner. Unfortunately, it was not generally reciprocated.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think Frank will have it made, as he has ready made excuses and goodwill of the fans I would quite like to see young English managers thrive, Potter obviously most of all. Chelsea have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to young players with about 493 out on permanent loan. Loftus Cheek and Odoi are serious talents and it is a blow that they are both out injured. Chelsea should just go all out to enjoy this season and blood a good few young players, Abraham and Tomori to name a few. ‘You never win anything with youngsters’ jumps to mind. Would be bloody lovely to get some points of them never seen us get as much as a brass farthing off them.

Has anybody?
I think we have one league draw in our history and from memory, that was pre-war ( which one? )

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A failed season for a club that size means 4th-6th in the table. Not impossible, but hardly built to undo them as a money-clad giant. They'll have to go about things differently without Hazard, but have a pre-season to go about it, and will likely remain difficult to beat. Pulisic might be quite good too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So will it be Frank Lampard's Chelsea or just Chelsea now he is at a big club.

Meanwhile the commentators in the championship are looking forward to "formerly managed by Frank Lampard Derby Country"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's on a hiding to nothing imo.

Can't sign anyone as they are under a transfer embargo so will have to use some of the Youth.
Most Chelsea managers always are! I'd love to know the average length of time a manager gets since the Russian took over..... Without looking it up I reckon on one year on average. Frank will have plenty of time to resume his career afterwards.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
First English managerial appointment at a top 4 club for many years, I want to see him do well. Don't understand all the dislike, if they'd have appointed another Italian or Spanish manager from a top flight club in their leagues everything would be ok?? I hope he makes a success of it and it gives other good young english managers a foot in somewhere else.

It's faux dislike, a peer type thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Most Chelsea managers always are! I'd love to know the average length of time a manager gets since the Russian took over..... Without looking it up I reckon on one year on average. Frank will have plenty of time to resume his career afterwards.

He's gone through 13 managers in 16 years (he took over them in 2003)

Ranieri
Mourinho (x2)
Grant
Scolari
Hiddink (x2)
Ancelotti
Villas Boas
Di Matteo
Benitez
Conte
Sarri

So basically yes, each one gets on average a little over a year. But they've still had a hell of a lot of success despite all that. It seems stability is overrated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here