Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton Players" v "Career Players"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Writing on the Hughton thread just now made me wonder if we have a split in the squad that Harry will need to sort out pronto. For me, we have a squad split roughly in to Brighton players and players who'd be anywhere if they were in the Prem. It's not based on signing times or managers. For me they work out approximately as:

Brighton players
Ryan
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo
Bong
Knockaert
Murray
March
Bissouma

Career Players
Montoya
Propper
Andone
Balagon
Locadia
Jahanbakhsh

Not sure
Gross
Kayal (because CH pissed him off)
Izquierdo (great in season 1, injured last season, could yet be a legend)
Burn (too few games)

Let's not bring them in to this
Back up keepers
New signings

Note this is not a particular comment on Hughton's tenure or recruitment. Simply how there might be a split in the camp that needs healing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem to be edging quite close the the perennial 'you need 7' thread.

The only one's I'd take issue with is Gross and Kayal, I'd like to think they are 'club' first men.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
You seem to be edging quite close the the perennial 'you need 7' thread.

The only one's I'd take issue with is Gross and Kayal, I'd like to think they are 'club' first men.

I’d not read it SB. Consider me fixtured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Are there actually any players who aren't career players?

I mean, it would be nice to think all those players you listed as Brighton players are here because they read Build a Bonfire and fell in love with the club. I'd take a bit of convincing though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh yes, and OP, what is making you think there are camps that need healing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d not read it SB. Consider me fixtured

Oh no, it's only :bounce: d when the window slams shut.

I'm fairly certain this years 'battleground' (pun intended) will be based around Andone's position in the 7.

He'll certainly be in it, but many will want him rivaling D & D's top spot, whereas, like you, I'm not convinced he's a club nutter but actually only a nutter. :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

I mean, it would be nice to think all those players you listed as Brighton players are here because they read Build a Bonfire and fell in love with the club. I'd take a bit of convincing though.

Split it in to those that are more committed to the club and those that are simply here because of the Premier League brand. All totally IMO though

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Aren’t they all career players , any of them would be off in a nano second for more money. Even Calderon was going to go for the cash

i think theres a difference between the sort who'd go for a small pay rise, and those that might go if a substantial offer was made. then there are some that value being settled more than even substantial money. only people commited to a club are the fans.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Writing on the Hughton thread just now made me wonder if we have a split in the squad that Harry will need to sort out pronto. For me, we have a squad split roughly in to Brighton players and players who'd be anywhere if they were in the Prem. It's not based on signing times or managers. For me they work out approximately as:

Brighton players
Ryan
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo
Bong
Knockaert
Murray
March
Bissouma

Career Players
Montoya
Propper
Andone
Balagon
Locadia
Jahanbakhsh

Not sure
Gross
Burn (too few games)

Back up keepers
New signings

Note this is not a particular comment on Hughton's tenure or recruitment. Simply how there might be a split in the camp that needs healing.

What about Stephens ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brighton players
Ryan
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo
Bong
Knockaert
Murray
March
Bissouma

Career Players
Montoya
Propper
Andone
Balagon
Locadia
Jahanbakhsh

Not sure
Gross
Burn (too few games)

Back up keepers
New signings

Mate, they are all career players. If they aren't, we shouldn't have singed them!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This. And being a career player means giving as much as they can to their club, team and career. AKA professionals, AKA no dickheads.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What a stupid thread. Your point is...? All players are 'loyal' up to a point. If you think that, say, Dunk or Ryan, would turn down a big money move to stay here you are deluded.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Split it in to those that are more committed to the club and those that are simply here because of the Premier League brand. All totally IMO though

I think the phrase you needed was 'Premier League wages' rather than 'Premier League brand'.

Om the other hand, I think most players are intelligent enough to realise the way it is for the fans, and have a degree of loyalty - or commitment anyway - to the club. To the team and their team-mates at least.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a stupid thread. Your point is...? All players are 'loyal' up to a point. If you think that, say, Dunk or Ryan, would turn down a big money move to stay here you are deluded.

Have to agree. Every club will probably have some home grown players and those bought in but I doubt there isn't one who wouldn't move to progress their career/earnings.

Can't believe anyone would even think differently!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bit of an odd thread this one, I mean how on earth do you determine who falls into which camp?

Worth remembering too, that players aren't the same as us fans, they are in this business solely to make as much money as possible, and if whichever club(s) are prepared to offer them the best deal they are happiest to play for.

There are exceptions to this of course, Lewis Dunk being Brighton born and bred, Glenn Murray who seems to have played for the club forever on and off, Shane Duffy and Anthont Knockaert who give everything for the cause. But that's about it..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no idea but I see from today’s Argus that Potter has decided to let every player at the club show what they’ve got. Schelloto who looked as though the door had been slammed on him following being booted out of it, now has a chance to shine under Potter. I always liked him for his marauding runs and he may just be exactly the type of player to fit in with Potter’s philosophy (on how I understand it to be)

The above is a bit of a thread hijack but I didn’t really understand the OPs question anyway :smile:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Why expect a player to have loyalty to a club and be foremost "Brighton players"?
They are professionals from all round the world , with a short career . If a good move came up , they would jump at it . They are not fans like us, for whom it is a lifelong love affair .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here