Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fridge repair

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Retailers try to blame manufactures but the law is with the consumer. Consumer rights act and sale of goods act both still inform this.
I had a problem with a washing machine where the retailer ‘washed’ their hands of the problem. Went in spoke to manager and they basically said we had done the damage. More or less laughed in our face. As I was leaving gave them a letter I had written quoting my rights under the acts and left.
Within hours got a call giving me a replacement.
Read up on it. Found an example that may help
https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/fridge-freezer-4-months-out-of-guarantee/

Key point in all of this is a white good costing £x pounds new under Sale of Goods act (which is still relevant) should have a reasonable working life exceeding 13 months (act specifies up to 6 years) therefore you spending a lot of money on this product can reasonably expect a repair or replacement. The warranty is irrelevant and is overridden by your consumer rights.

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Another thing is if you paid by debit card or credit card you may be able to raise a claim through them if they won’t repair or replace.
I’ve done this successfully on a debit card and credit card for faulty goods in the last two years. Same act principles would apply. Again get all your facts together and don’t be fobbed off. I had to raise a complaint about the way my credit card was dealt with. It was upheld after they initially rejected my claim.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Update on this.

Retailer says it's out of warranty - which I knew - but given that it's not six-years-old they will make a contribution to repair (whatever that means). The problem is that it took an hour to get through to retailer and I've not managed to get through to Zanussi yet ... and I still have a non-working fridge

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first quote to fix it was £265 - ridiculous quote for a £320 fridge that's just 13 months old

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Update on this.

Retailer says it's out of warranty - which I knew - but given that it's not six-years-old they will make a contribution to repair (whatever that means). The problem is that it took an hour to get through to retailer and I've not managed to get through to Zanussi yet ... and I still have a non-working fridge

Currys perhaps? If so, you have my sympathies. - and you wont get a penny out of them. You will however spend many hours being passed from phone queue to phone queue until you give up or your head explodes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you paid by Credit card, get them involved

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Update on this.

This is covered by an EU directive which may help you.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

It helped my other half get his Apple watch replaced when it fell apart after 18 months.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Regardless of who's going to pay for it, I still need it fixed. Anyone got any recommendations for a company that doesn't rip people off ... and charge the cost of a new fridge?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disregard all advice about going to the manufacturer, similarly any gloomy comments of hard luck it’s post warranty. All irrelevant. Your contract is with the retailer.

The Guardian suggest taking these steps.

1. Contact the retailer's head office: You won't get any joy from youthful shop staff or call centres. Be firm and explain you think your product hasn't lasted a reasonable amount time. You want it to be investigated and repaired, or replaced if it turns out to be faulty.

2. Get an independent report: A major retailer is likely to have its own repairs centre or an arrangement with the manufacturer, but this may result in sky-high call out charges. Contact an independent repairer and ask for a written report on the fault.

3. Commission a repair: Ask the retailer to repair or replace the goods. If the repair cost is disproportionate the retailer can offer a refund of the original purchase price, though probably not a full refund. If the shop makes life difficult you can ask go to an independent repairer and reclaim the whole cost. Make sure they provide evidence of the fault.

4. Be prepared to battle: The company could refuse to refund the repair cost, leaving you to chase them through the small claims court. A judge can order the retailer to settle the claim and pay legal costs. That’s a much easier online process these days https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim.
The rules are clear and as long as you have evidence of a fault the judge will be sympathetic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you seriously suggesting people should buy a new fridge every year.
No, we're suggesting that people stand up for their rights and make companies repair or replace faulty goods. That way, they'll have to make sure their goods last longer than 13 months.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, we're suggesting that people stand up for their rights and make companies repair or replace faulty goods. That way, they'll have to make sure their goods last longer than 13 months.

No, he said "why not buy a new fridge".

And it's all very well saying take companies to court but we need a working fridge, I can't keep going to the shop two or three times a day as we can't keep anything.

It would take months to take someone to court (and no guarantee that I'd be successful). I'm going to commission a repair, get it fixed and then invoice the retailer. It may work, it may not but I'm not going to get into any more long conversations with the retailer about it

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

And it's all very well saying take companies to court but we need a working fridge, I can't keep going to the shop two or three times a day as we can't keep anything.

It would take months to take someone to court (and no guarantee that I'd be successful). I'm going to commission a repair, get it fixed and then invoice the retailer. It may work, it may not but I'm not going to get into any more long conversations with the retailer about it

Yeah, but have you tried turning it on and off again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, but have you tried turning it on and off again.

Funnily enough I did.

I have tried some repairs - ice had definitely formed inside the back panel, partially blocking the fan, so I have cleared that. It's still not working, suggesting that there's a problem with the compressor or possibly the thermostat. If it's the compressor, it's going to be expensive to fix but I'll certainly kick up a stink about that as 13-month model shouldn't be failing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And it's all very well saying take companies to court
It's hugely unlikely you'd actually need to take them to court.
but we need a working fridge, I can't keep going to the shop two or three times a day as we can't keep anything.

Write to them to tell them just that, that you need a working fridge, so you will get it repaired, and look to recover the cost from them. When you get it repaired, ask the repair man to write down what the fault was, and whether it was down to misuse or faulty manufacturer etc (anything that can help you).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's hugely unlikely you'd actually need to take them to court.
Write to them to tell them just that, that you need a working fridge, so you will get it repaired, and look to recover the cost from them. When you get it repaired, ask the repair man to write down what the fault was, and whether it was down to misuse or faulty manufacturer etc (anything that can help you).

That's what Westander said, it's the only realistic approach.

I'm still looking for a reliable repairer though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

At least send a signed for letter to the retailer beforehand, also explaining the obvious urgency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here