Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fridge repair

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When my washing machine stopped working, NSC came up trumps. So, let's try with fridges - my 13-month-old Zanussi has stopped cooling (a month after warranty ended). Can anyone recommend a reliable engineer for us? We're based in Coldean

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fridges huh.
I put 12 beers in my fridge yesterday morning and they’ve now all gone.
My fridge is costing* me a fortune..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Check the warranty situation. Most white goods these days have a 2 year warranty.

I checked: it's definitely one year. I can raise as much of a stink as I like but I know it's not going to help - the terms of the warranty are crystal clear

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I checked: it's definitely one year. I can raise as much of a stink as I like but I know it's not going to help - the terms of the warranty are crystal clear

That's just paper work though. Big companies (well good ones) are just as sensitive to reputation these days as the small print.

Ring the manufacturer, tell them you have already discussed the problem on social media and see how they react.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Consumer Rights Act 2015 (that one where TV's now come with a 5 year warranty)
Part 1, Chapter 2, Section 9.
(1)Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the quality of the goods is satisfactory.
If the fridge cost £5 and is falling to bits, then 13 months is good.
On the other hand, if the fridge cost a lot then 13 months is not satisfactory.

Call them, speak calmly, wait 30 minutes, call BBC watchdog. Just my advice, not a professional, but I would not accept it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say

It certainly didn't cost a £5 :tantrum:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It certainly didn't cost a £5 :tantrum:

Please remember to say I'll thinking of discussing on twitter whether this fridge is prone to break done etc...

If they don't offer help, tell them you will be advising others on social media not to buy it based on your personal experience and/or be placing a review on the major sites like AO.COM.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This:
But your statutory rights are nothing to do with the 'warranty'.
It doesn't matter what the warranty says, if they sold it to you in this country, then you can expect cover for 6 years. Them's your rights!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you call them and see what they say, they'll tell you you're not covered. First you need to understand that you are covered by law. Once you've got that, then contact them, so that their efforts to fob you off don't work. You could try calling first, and if they're not helpful explain that they'll have to cover you, and ask if they would prefer it to be sorted in writing.

PS - it's the retailer that covers you, not the manufacturer.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
it's the retailer that covers you, not the manufacturer.
Yes, the complaint is against the retailer and the contract remains with THEM.

And the law would expect an electrical appliance to last a number of years. It is not defined and it's not 6 years, but would be reasonably expected to be between 2 and 5 years going by other case law I recall about problems with large/fairly expensive household goods.

The OP needs to read the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) and forget the daft idea of a limited 1 year 'warranty' that seems to make people forget that their statutory rights under the SOGA last for longer:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, the complaint is against the retailer and the contract remains with THEM.

And the law would expect an electrical appliance to last a number of years. It is not defined and it's not 6 years, but would be reasonably expected to be between 2 and 5 years going by other case law I recall about problems with large/fairly expensive household goods.

The OP needs to read the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) and forget the daft idea of a limited 1 year 'warranty' that seems to make people forget that their statutory rights under the SOGA last for longer:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

SOGA has been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act, as mentioned above.

I'm going to give it a go but I'm not hopeful of getting any joy. I have few options under CRA. Yes, I could take them to the Small Claims Court but it would cost me money to do that, which I'd get back if I win. But, the burden of proof is on me - I have to show that the fridge is faulty and was faulty when I bought it - I'm not sure I'm able to do that. At best, it's probably a 50-50 chance, small odds to claim back the £80, or whatever, that it would cost to repair.

I could create a stink of social media but I'm not sure my 3,000 Twitter followers and NSC are much of a threat.

I'll report back later

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
SOGA has been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act, as mentioned above.

I'm going to give it a go but I'm not hopeful of getting any joy. I have few options under CRA. Yes, I could take them to the Small Claims Court but it would cost me money to do that, which I'd get back if I win. But, the burden of proof is on me - I have to show that the fridge is faulty and was faulty when I bought it - I'm not sure I'm able to do that. At best, it's probably a 50-50 chance, small odds to claim back the £80, or whatever, that it would cost to repair.

I could create a stink of social media but I'm not sure my 3,000 Twitter followers and NSC are much of a threat.

I'll report back later
Use the # then the world will see, I did this on Twitter with a complaint with a national company sorted within a couple of hours after being basically told to F off on the phone to them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
First 13 months while is beyond the 12 month Warrantee so technically they have no obligation to repair however as its only just outside of the warranted period as a matter of good will I would be very surprised if they were not willing to help, if that does not work then take it as a life lesson that buying anything made by Zannussi is to be avoided

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here