Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Which is better

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
So Mrs BG is used to a small portion of meat. Anyway are we sure these steaks are from a cow and not say a horse or donkey?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
From the taste I would suggest that they were from a Bull not a cow as the fat is always yellow if coming from a cow.

The colour of beef fat is determined by the amount of carotene in their diet, primarily. Grass-fed cows have yellow fat, as the carotene from the grass is stored in their fat.
Grain-fed beef has a whiter fat, due to the absence of carotene in the grain (although corn does contain a small amount).

It has nothing to do with male or female.

It took me half the time to find this out, than it did to type this.

It will take me many, many years to work out why I bothered to research this, and even longer to work out why I bothered to type this reply out :ffsparr:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm not a regular steak eater - probably about 6 a year - so happy to pay for the quality of a fillet or flat-iron 6oz all meat, rather than paying for the fat as well ....
Sometimes, cheapest is false economy.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not sure why people are 'having a pop' at BG about this, have you got an agenda ? do you do this all the time ?

The only important thing to note is

We had it for dinner last night and cooked as per the bbc food experts Guide to frying steak and it was absolutely gorgeous, .... Will certainly go there again.

I'm sure most people have personal choices of where they like to shop or explore and why one person's should be belittled and have head in hand emoji's attached I do not understand.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not a regular steak eater - probably about 6 a year - so happy to pay for the quality of a fillet or flat-iron 6oz all meat, rather than paying for the fat as well ....
Sometimes, cheapest is false economy.

I prefer some fat-marbling in a steak, improves the flavour in my view - doesn't mean it's cheap. A decent aged rib-eye isn't cheap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a young school boy working as a Saturday butchers boy about 1955/6 I was told by the butcher Wally Pearece in Worthing that you could tell beef from a cow as opposed to a bull by the yellow fat. Obviously he didnt know after 50 years of being in business as a butcher what he was talking about. I took his word as he was an expert and have always believed that,.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As a young school boy working as a Saturday butchers boy about 1955/6 I was told by the butcher Wally Pearece in Worthing that you could tell beef from a cow as opposed to a bull by the yellow fat. Obviously he didnt know after 50 years of being in business as a butcher what he was talking about. I took his word as he was an expert and have always believed that,.
Hold up my Mrs as a young girl worked in a butchers and to this day can always pick out the best cuts of meat, now how come you can’t? Also yellow fat is normal from an older cow 10 yrs plus.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The colour of beef fat is determined by the amount of carotene in their diet, primarily. Grass-fed cows have yellow fat, as the carotene from the grass is stored in their fat.
Grain-fed beef has a whiter fat, due to the absence of carotene in the grain (although corn does contain a small amount).

It has nothing to do with male or female.

It took me half the time to find this out, than it did to type this.

It will take me many, many years to work out why I bothered to research this, and even longer to work out why I bothered to type this reply out :ffsparr:

Hold up my Mrs as a young girl worked in a butchers and to this day can always pick out the best cuts of meat, now how come you can’t? Also yellow fat is normal from an older cow 10 yrs plus.

So....3 ways you get yellow fat

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here