Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] sextortion

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Basically when a website gets hacked and the email addresses & passwords of the users get stolen the details are then sold on to other hackers. (could be an online shop or a news website where people have accounts to comment or anything.) After a few months any account that can be hacked has been and online banking has been raided etc. So the lists of the emails and passwords are pretty useless and can be found online if you know where to look. What someone has done is automated going through the lists, emailing the addresses and coming out with this bullsh!t about webcams to try and scare someone into paying. By including what was a genuine password it is trying to convince the recipient they really did hack them.

If only 2 or 3 people pay it is probably worth their while as it would only take a few hours at most to write a script to do the sending of emails.

If you get one of these emails you should maybe try googling the email address and password together to see where they found it. A lot of them came from when Gawker group got hacked in 2010.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just looking through my junk box and they've sent me one ! Want $900 or they're gonna send vids of me "pleasuring" myself, wow, can't even remember the last time but don't these scum realise it's a natural act anyway? And as for sending to my contacts ! Send away mugs who really gives a toss, they certainly will never get any " bitcoin" from me even if I knew what the f***'it was. Twats.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've got a large lump of blutack covering my webcam on my desktop so nobody can see me anyway !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You just made me look in my SPAM email folder. What a hideous place that is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was at a seminar about 10 months ago where an IT security expert discussed these emails and the potential security concerns. As above, there is nothing to worry about regarding the webcam video threat. What was advised however, was that if your email password is in anyway similar to the one quoted (which he believed became available on the dark web after a LinkedIn breach), that it should be changed completely and don’t be tempted to use a derivative or think that adding a few numbers or special characters will keep your account secure. Hackers will apparently use software to run a brute force hack, and having an existing password to base the combinations on makes things far easier.

Yes, echo this. I've had quite a few, all but one were just empty threats but one did quote an old password nearly correctly (it was just missing the last character). I checked my email on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and yes, it had been part of several data breaches. I changed it completely.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, echo this. I've had quite a few, all but one were just empty threats but one did quote an old password nearly correctly (it was just missing the last character). I checked my email on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and yes, it had been part of several data breaches. I changed it completely.

I got one of these emails last year and i changed all of my passwords. But I had never heard of this website, so i decided to check my emails addresses. On the first, main one, there were numerous breaches so I clicked on one of the pastes. This then shows a list of email addresses and their passwords. Mine was listed as the one that I changed. But now, I have a big list of emails and their passwords. If I was of Nigerian discent or a dodgy pikey, I might go through that list seeing which ones I could get in to...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here