Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Spitfire squadron over Worthing at 16.04h today

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I haven't seen a thread on this,but for anyone out and about in LA & Worthing today, a squadron of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Dakotas, and a Lancaster are flying past.....at 4pm &. 4.04pm respectively.

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Probably flying over after Sailsbury armed forces day events :)

Indeed, it's about armed forces day. I'm guessing it's along the coast, so the guys & girls having a barbie on the beach will get a fantastic sight!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The Lancaster was down south with a Spitfire but it's back in Lincolnshire right now - Not sure what will be flying over Worthing (looks like they've got different aircraft showing in places).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks for the tip-off. I literally just looked up as I saw the thread title and the Spitfire was flying over my house. What is it that can bring me to the edge of tears just looking and listening to it? Too many war movies perhaps? Bloody hell - what must the sight of it do to someone who saw them in dogfights in the same patch of sky?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Spitfire just departed Southampton, heading east, looks like that's the one that will LA & worthing...

I go down to Gosport often, for beer and food with my sister. She tells me that the Spitfire lives that way, and can actually be booked to fly in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for the tip-off. I literally just looked up as I saw the thread title and the Spitfire was flying over my house. What is it that can bring me to the edge of tears just looking and listening to it? Too many war movies perhaps? Bloody hell - what must the sight of it do to someone who saw them in dogfights in the same patch of sky?

And the unmistakable sound of the beautiful RR Merlin engine.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
And the unmistakable sound of the beautiful RR Merlin engine.

That unmistakable sound is heard quite often here in Ferring.

Many of these wonderful aircraft are, I understand, serviced/maintained by Ricardo SV at Shoreham Airport AND, again as I understand, there is a RAFA veterans home near Rustington so there is also the added bonus of aerobatics from time to time to entertain the residents - fantastic stuff !

So Eastbound to Shoreham then Westbound back to bases in Hants.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Many of these wonderful aircraft are, I understand, serviced/maintained by Ricardo SV at Shoreham Airport AND, again as I understand, there is a RAFA veterans home near Rustington so there is also the added bonus of aerobatics from time to time to entertain the residents - fantastic stuff !

I suspect that most of the residents think we are still at war with Germany and that if we are not then we should be!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A couple of years back here in north Brighton (I forgot the Eastbourne Air Show was on) I was in the garden, when I heard this incredible sound, I looked up to see a group of Spitfire’s. Unmistakable elliptical shaped wings and that beautiful roar.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here