Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Artists of more than 20 years' standing making new music to match their early greats?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

His recent album 'Fool' is second only to 'Night and Day' in success. I do prefer his earlier stuff though.

Something good can come out of Portsmouth....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Radiohead.

And Bowie was still creating very strong work right til the end.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you focus on rock there are two obvious answers. Metallica and Iron Maiden.

Hardwired to Self Destruct was Metallica's sixth consecutive studio album to debut at number one on the US*Billboard*200, selling 291,000*album-equivalent units*in its first week, and topping the charts in 57 countries.

Similarly Maiden's The Book of Souls topped the album charts in 24 countries. It earned the band their fifth (first consecutive) UK No. 1, following 1982's*The Number of the Beast, 1988's*Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, 1992's*Fear of the Dark*and 2010's*The Final Frontier. In the US, it matched*The Final Frontier's success on the*Billboard*200, repeating the group's highest placement at no. 4

And in both cases both bands can sell out stadiums and arenas around the world. By contrast you have the likes of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard who may be able to put bums on seats but are releasing no new material and just living off past glories.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd say, from mostly well known artists, that this lot are almost always making quality albums almost every time they release one:

Mike Scott/Waterboys
Paul Weller
Damon Albarn
Aimee Mann
Paul Simon
Madness
Springsteen
Marc Almond
Suede (same quality as before - but if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now)

But maybe it's just a list of people I like.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Suede. Their last album, The Blue Hour, is superb. And the last two were pretty good, too. And still fantastic live. Not sure why they're not at Glastonbury when other 'old' acts like the Charlatans are. Suede would wipe the floor with them.

Suede are too good for Glastonbury! :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the OP is feeling generous with his definition of 20 years then I’ll add Hot Chip. They just scrap in the 20 years criteria.

Damon Albarn got a mention earlier. People should note the sheer quantity of his output as well as the quality.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Nothing will ever match their early greats because you aren't twenty and young and nieve. Music reaction also changes over time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here