Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
?? The $ model of the Athletic (if it turns out to be similar/and featuring journalists like AN) is according to that piece $60 per year. or $5 a month.
PS: actually there seem to be various payment models: https://theathletic.com/

It was mentioned that they charged $9.99 a month. I have no idea what the correct figure is.

It's $9.99 a month if you want to pay a month at a time. It's $47.99 if you pay for a year at a time.

The suggestion is the UK subscription will be on a par with that, c£40 a year (presumably if you pay a year at a time).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hope it works out for him. At least with Naylor & Owen at the helm the Argus didn’t descend to cutting and pasting comments from Twitter and passing it off as news, as has happened at many other papers.

Always found Andy to be professional, didn’t always share his views but then that’s the sign of a good journo, prepared to say what he felt was right than what was populist.

This.

He did occasionally post the odd rather condescendingly patronising "be grateful for what you've got" type tweet or opinion piece, which would get my back up. But on the whole he is a very capable journalist, a good writer, and an excellent analyst of the game. I'd rarely disagree with the summaries in his match reports, he has a sharp eye.

Still not quite forgiven him for his "Albion legend set to return" teaser though, which had us all thinking Bobby was on the way back when it turned out to be bloody Hammond. That really pissed on my chips, I can tell you.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree the only reason I buy the argus is to read about the Albion or Sussex but the paper shops are always sold out in Haywards Heath I think they only have a couple in.
I remember the days of several editions on a Saturday including the classified with results at 6pm outside the railway station.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I tried the Athletic here in the US for a few months. They took some of Miami's best known sports writers and talkers and so I thought it might be worth it. Unfortunately my opinion was it didn't work. Yes, they tried to get the stories to be deeper and more thought provoking but hiring the populist writers didn't match that aim. The quality was generally poor compared to the better national journalists. I think it may be the same there unless Andy has some talents he has been hiding all these years.

Jimmy Grimble

Hardly a loss is it?

Anyone who is semi-literate with an understanding of football could do the job.

I get that he was a steady man for the local paper but he has nothing that makes him stand out as a writer.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Well I thought he was alright. Follow him on twitter and he helped on a couple of occasions when I had issues with the Argus coverage from abroad Wish him all the best and will be interested in this new adventure, if it happens.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Is the argus a selling paper now ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well I’ll miss him, part of the Albion fabric and family. His years of experience and knowledge about our club is irreplaceable. Best of luck Andy and thanks for all the years of dedication and great write ups of matches. End of an era.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
The Athletic are going round all the nationals poaching staff at the moment. Offering signing on fees, share options and doubling their wages in some cases. Also obviously taking local journos too. They must be confident to be throwing such huge sums at people but difficult to see how the model will work because there isn’t really a subscription culture in the UK to read journalism. Yet. Presumably they’ll be bidding for live sport too at some point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a general sports magazine launched about 20 years ago. I can't remember its name but it died a quick death. The trouble is that there are not many sports nuts in this country: there are plenty of people who like football or cricket or tennis or motor racing or boxing but there are not many people who football and cricket and tennis and motor racing and boxing.

I've bought football, cricket and rugby mags in the past as they're the sports I'm interested in. Why would I buy something (or pay a subscription for something) where about 70 to 80% is of no interest to me whatsoever?

Throw in the reluctance of British punters to pay for content and I think they'll struggle

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Good luck to him, not one I'd pay for though. Andy has been a part of the Albion for a while so hope goes well for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Argus is dead without the Albion.

Does Dick Damage still read it ??? I loved that graffiti on the building....Actually, I feel the Anus died when Dick did.

Quote from https://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/dickdam.html:

Very sad to announce the death of Dick Damage, one of Brighton punk's most distinctive characters, who lost his battle with cancer on Thursday 13th January 2011.

Dick had been ill for a while but this still came as a terrible shock to all those who knew and loved him. His funeral was held on Friday 4th February 2011 and was attended by many friends and family.

The wake was held at the old Whitehawk Inn where Dick's life was celebrated with stories, a slideshow, photos, his music, paintings and mementos.

If you want to send messages of condolence to Dick's widow Mary and family, email us and enter 'Damage' in the subject line and I'll post them on this page.

Many thanks to all the staff at the Whitehawk Inn who did a really great job in making everyone feel at home. And thanks to all those who bought a copy of Dick Damage & punkdaddy's CD, TSDS, making generous donations to the Young People's Centre in Ship Street.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see much difference between paying an annual subscription for an online site or a publication like Private Eye or The Economist.

I'm surprised this business model hasn't been rolled out sooner, I think I'll be subscribing. I think there's also demand for a 'Rest of Sports' online subscription site too, and if the football guys are jumping ship then the journos who cover other sports with smaller audiences will bite your hand off to follow suit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see much difference between paying an annual subscription for an online site or a publication like Private Eye or The Economist.

I'm surprised this business model hasn't been rolled out sooner, I think I'll be subscribing. I think there's also demand for a 'Rest of Sports' online subscription site too, and if the football guys are jumping ship then the journos who cover other sports with smaller audiences will bite your hand off to follow suit.

You sure ?

I don't pay to subscribe to ANY sports media sites online. I always used to read The Times online, till it went behind a paywall. The Telegraph has gone the same way, but again, I won't pay to view their sports pages. I SUFFER the (free) Mail Online sports pages, primarily because I like Martin Samuels writing and have followed him from when he was at The Times, but bloody hell, the ads and endless pop-up videos almost rival the Argus site, so it is a bit of a chore. Once I've read Samuel, I'm out.

The only mainstream bastions now are the BBC, which is informative but functional. Or the Guardian, who's sports coverage I really do like, but they've always got the begging bowl out asking to contribute. I guess I'm a bit entitled in wanting to read quality sports journalism online, without having to pay. But in my defence, I DO still regularly buy the Sunday Times, mainly for the sports pullout. And I do still like the "feel" of holding a newspaper to read, in much the same way as a paperback book. Basically, I'm a cheapskate philistine.

But you're right...at some point, the day may come when if you want to read any genuinely decent well written sports analysis online, you'll either have to pay a subscription, or come on here and read my stuff.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Does Dick Damage still read it ??? I loved that graffiti on the building....Actually, I feel the Anus died when Dick did.

Quote from https://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/dickdam.html:

Very sad to announce the death of Dick Damage, one of Brighton punk's most distinctive characters, who lost his battle with cancer on Thursday 13th January 2011.

Dick had been ill for a while but this still came as a terrible shock to all those who knew and loved him. His funeral was held on Friday 4th February 2011 and was attended by many friends and family.

The wake was held at the old Whitehawk Inn where Dick's life was celebrated with stories, a slideshow, photos, his music, paintings and mementos.

If you want to send messages of condolence to Dick's widow Mary and family, email us and enter 'Damage' in the subject line and I'll post them on this page.

Many thanks to all the staff at the Whitehawk Inn who did a really great job in making everyone feel at home. And thanks to all those who bought a copy of Dick Damage & punkdaddy's CD, TSDS, making generous donations to the Young People's Centre in Ship Street.

I was a member of one of DD's many bands for one memorable evening. He asked me to guest on keyboards (well, make random Roxy Music era Eno-esque noises) at a cabaret night at the Richmond. His outfit was playing at the end of each half, topping a bill that included Roy Hutchins and Simon Fanshawe. The guitar player was supposed to shout out the chords to me, which worked okay at the sound check but not when we began for real because, rather unexpectedly, he was wearing an animal mask that muffled his voice. At one point in the first set Damage poured Swarfega over his own head, and in the second tried crowdsurfing. Unfortunately the crowd parted like the Red Sea and Dick hit the floor rather hard. Fortunately he fell on his face, so no harm was done. A true legend of the Brighton music scene.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was a member of one of DD's many bands for one memorable evening. He asked me to guest on keyboards (well, make random Roxy Music era Eno-esque noises) at a cabaret night at the Richmond. His outfit was playing at the end of each half, topping a bill that included Roy Hutchins and Simon Fanshawe. The guitar player was supposed to shout out the chords to me, which worked okay at the sound check but not when we began for real because, rather unexpectedly, he was wearing an animal mask that muffled his voice. At one point in the first set Damage poured Swarfega over his own head, and in the second tried crowdsurfing. Unfortunately the crowd parted like the Red Sea and Dick hit the floor rather hard. Fortunately he fell on his face, so no harm was done. A true legend of the Brighton music scene.

punk::lolol::thumbsup: Bloody brilliant.

Next Question, whatever happened to Tommy Maltby? Where is he now, and please don't tell me he has been banned from NSC ??? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here