Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
£60 is supposedly half price too! Seems far too high for the average reader, I want the journalists well paid but Netflix is the same cost and their licensing and production fees must be astronomical.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

£60 will be the full price. At the moment there is a half-price offer at £30.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Because they are still a print driven production, they don't put all their stuff online

You misunderstand.

I pay $46.77 per year for the electronic version of the newspaper (ie exactly what you would purchase in the newsagent's).

If you wish to pay a multiple of that just to be able to hold paper in your hands, so be it, but you are paying much more than you need to.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And everyone of them spamming the hell out of Twitter today

I honestly don't get why people are surprised about this. The Athletic is launching today – offering a completely different business model to anything that is out there (in the UK) at the moment – and people expect them NOT to shout about it from the rooftops?

It's got one shot (today) before everything else takes over with previews and build-up to the weekend, of COURSE it's going to make sure all of its' writers retweeting the feck out of it! Add to that the fact that because it's ad-free, part of the job description of the writers, by proxy, is to act as a salesmen for the title. It wouldn't surprise me if the hacks were on some kind of bonus scheme based on how many subscriptions had been generated via their own Twitter account.

Personally I have no problem with what The Athletic is doing. Publishing/journalism isn't going to survive on the 'free content' concept forever...

You misunderstand.

I pay $46.77 per year for the electronic version of the newspaper (ie exactly what you would purchase in the newsagent's).

If you wish to pay a multiple of that just to be able to hold paper in your hands, so be it, but you are paying much more than you need to.

Gotcha. Yeh it's funny I don't regard paying the extra as a loss. 98 per cent of my life is staring at screens and I will pay a bit extra not to do so. I think if you feel some kind of pull towards a product you will do that, even tho the Argus is a shadow of what it was. Can this new thing recreate that pull/loyalty, big challenge obviously

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm still enjoying the insightful features but there's something slightly irritating about the overall enterprise. I think it's the repeated insistence that they've got everything covered and care about the small clubs as much as the big clubs when that's plainly not true. The morning daily newsletter that dropped into my inbox today for example: "At the moment, with some 72 hours or so until the transfer deadline, there's little to talk about except the moves that will shape the early part of the season".

Hmm. Well, one of the clubs they're supposedly all over did sign a player for north of £20m yesterday, but let's hear some more about Harry Maguire shall we? A threat to magazines maybe. Newspapers are safe.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A threat to magazines maybe. Newspapers are safe.

They're out to kill local papers, not nationals.

athletic.png

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Relegation clause in his contract?

Seeing as they were all kicking around their own individual discount codes last night I would assume they would take a view on how many subscribers are there from Andys code. If he is adjudged to be bringing in more than he costs then he will probably stay.

If not some form of relegation release would probably kick in and Albion be no longer covered

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Imagine a last-day survival where AN runs on the pitch to bundle with the players. :ohmy:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was thinking of subscribing. I'm not a fan of The Argus, but with that statement they've lost this potential customer.

Yep. Me too. And I'll think poorly of anybody who DOES support the venture.

As if 99.9% of finance guys don't talk like that and much worse

Do they? State frankly, on public record, that their whole business plan is based on putting local operations out of business? Bullshit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Newsquest are killing themselves anyway and have been for some time. Andy Naylor or Brian Owen were both up for redundancy were they not and presumably Andy Naylor jumped ship and ensured there was no head count reduction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here