Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valencia to visit Amex for pre-season friendly *** 7pm KICK OFF ***

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
For the people that couldn't see a difference on last season: hop on over to Specsavers.

We are definitely more fluid than we were last season - Burn feels like a new signing, let alone a 3rd/4th choice CB. Trossard has that 'thing' about him that will frustrate and mesmerise, probably in the same match. I even saw a shot from Propper. Montoya looks twice the player he did last season.

We will ship goals. We won't score from each attack we have, but you can't have it all: the posters complaining last season about boring football should be placated by this setup and we are more a 'team' in the sense that everyone contributes towards a common goal: we hopefully won't be reliant on the same one or two players.

Plus we still have a new CB and poss a new RB and ST to come in. AND Bissouma to come back, who i think will thrive in this setup.

My mojo is pretty high right now. It may be a friendly but we've just beaten VALENCIA. a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE team. Wake up, for Christ's sake.

THIS.. Said to friends here, we just beat Valemcia in our last pre season friendly. I know it was a friendly, but let me repeat. We just beat Valemcia. We have come a long way in a fairly short space of time.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
For the people that couldn't see a difference on last season: hop on over to Specsavers.

We are definitely more fluid than we were last season - Burn feels like a new signing, let alone a 3rd/4th choice CB. Trossard has that 'thing' about him that will frustrate and mesmerise, probably in the same match. I even saw a shot from Propper. Montoya looks twice the player he did last season.

We will ship goals. We won't score from each attack we have, but you can't have it all: the posters complaining last season about boring football should be placated by this setup and we are more a 'team' in the sense that everyone contributes towards a common goal: we hopefully won't be reliant on the same one or two players.

Plus we still have a new CB and poss a new RB and ST to come in. AND Bissouma to come back, who i think will thrive in this setup.

My mojo is pretty high right now. It may be a friendly but we've just beaten VALENCIA. a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE team. Wake up, for Christ's sake.

THIS.. Said to friends here, we just beat Valemcia in our last pre season friendly. I know it was a friendly, but let me repeat. We just beat Valemcia. We have come a long way in a fairly short space of time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Only a friendly and we played some nice stuff. Still concerns me that we don't create enough chances and we still desperately need a pacier version of Murray. Good signs though but will be a real test in the first 2 games of if we've progressed.

We were up against a quality side tonight, you can't really expect a string of chances against a top La Liga team. I thought we handled them pretty well, there were plenty of signs of GP's new 3 CB wingback system bedding in. Burn has taken to it like a duck to water, he looked quality again.

Their number 7 though, bloody hell.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For us Hughton outs (although I have every respect for him) that actually have optimism, I think we are a level up on last season already. For those that wanted Hughton out and are still full of pessimism, jeeeze I feel sorry for you. I'm looking forward to this season, big time.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Well, their second string played in half the match. I don't think we'd have won if this had been a Europa League qualifier.

Oh for pities sake, for most of last season we were like a poor bloody fox trapped in its den by the dogs, petrified to even poke our noses out of our defensive position. This let me remind you was less than 12 weeks ago. Yes it was a friendly, yes one of our goals was from a penalty but look at the difference in the attitude, are we a side capable of getting into the Europa League? No. But give credit where it is due, we are now most certainly a side capable of staying in the PL because we deserve to be there and not because we were the 4th worst side, in fact we were worse than that we just got saved by some lucky wins early on. And this has been achieved using pretty much the same players as 12 weeks ago.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The performance ‘looked’ good with the style of football being played but it really did take me back to the days of Poyet with defenders passing between themselves and the game not really going anywhere at times.

Can’t remember us having many shots; without the set-pieces, we’d have lost, no question. We looked somewhat devoid of attacking ideas and were slow on the break in the final third. However, I was really impressed with March, Trossard and Burn. Hopefully we will look like more of an attacking threat next week.

When are we going to score from open play? In the opponents net.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But we beat them. And we went nowhere near 100% effort.

In a friendly, as I said the reaction is OTT in my opinion.

No, I believe we worked on set pieces last year. The point was that we seem to be coaching the players now as well as the team. Everything last season was about shape, discipline, tracking back. It looks to me like Potter and his team are seriously working on players' flaws as well as their positioning.

Perhaps, but you specifically mentioned Duffy's finishing prowess, which last season was apparently not the case. Incidentally our excellent defensive shape is what kept us up.

Again, we were up against Champions League calibre opposition (and the type that should be competitive in the group stages). We looked far better than we did last season against City, Liverpool and Spurs. That performance last night and the desperate backs to the wall shite we offered up at Spurs are chalk and cheese. But, as I said, at probably three quarters capacity.

In a friendly. We did well at Tottenham, yes it was 'backs to the wall', but it was a good performance, you simply cannot dismiss the need to defend, and what we had to do at that time. Liverpool away was less 'back to the wall'.

You obviously will enjoy open the more open style, that will be employed by Potter, however if it leads to 4 and 5 nil defeats, I won't. Personally, I prefer 1-0's just as much, and safety as per the previous two seasons. That said, not denying how dire the home form was in the latter part.

A week to go till the window SLAMS shit and we're about to break our transfer record on a centre back we think can improve that system even miore. I'm confident we'll add an attacking option as well. Trossard looks like he could be one of our best creative and technical players ever, Not Vicente but you can certainly see him in a Hazard role (not saying he's as good as Hazard who is one of the best in the world but he certainly has the potential to unlock defences).

We can agree on this.

But we need numbers and quality desperately, and what we do this week will define our season IMO. Trossard looks great, Webster would be good and a RB, midfielder and forward or two.

The players look happy and confident and as if they are enjoying their football again. There's a spirit of optimism on the terraces too. This is most definitely not another Hyppia moment.

Beginning of the season, end of pre-season, I would hope they're enjoying it! ......... I blooming hated pre-season......
Didn't sense the optimism in the stands, but it certainly is there on NSC - can't be denied.

Nobody is mentioning Hyppia - thankfully........

Looking forward to Waford - then we'll see........ and by October/November we'll know......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good performance against a quality side, I'm loving the transformation under Potter so far.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were up against a quality side tonight, you can't really expect a string of chances against a top La Liga team. I thought we handled them pretty well, there were plenty of signs of GP's new 3 CB wingback system bedding in. Burn has taken to it like a duck to water, he looked quality again.

Their number 7 though, bloody hell.

Their number 7 and their defender wearing 12 were superb.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Flying in the face of popular opinion, probably - but could someone tell Montoya that we've changed manager? He looked scared of going forward, always chose the back pass, and I could count on one finger the amount of times he chose to run at someone..

Aside from that, I think Trossard did well - but I get the feeling he's going to get battered by the big boys in the PL and will spend lots of time on his arse. Locadia isn't transformed - but he at least looked like he cares a bit now. March played well, I thought Andone looked sharper on the warm-up in the corner than he did on the pitch - and on the whole I much preferred the team play in the latter stages of the second half.

I think Burn will only get better with game time. He looks decent.

I feel we played better than we finished last season - so I'm in 'Camp Positive' :thumbsup:

Agree with your Montoya point, first half especially there were at least 5 instances where we had people running into the right channel and he was hesitant to play the pass and reverted to pulling the ball back and playing to Duffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Some good new manager bounce. 5 at the back and more support for the offensive side of things but wingers out. Burn in, Bernardo and Gross benched. Locardia, AJ and Adone will only play if they impress and earn the right (Potter did not buy them). Hopefully Trossard's industry will rub off on them a little bit. Still very much dependant on Murray up front.

Interesting to see how the first few games go. We need to build a bit of confidence early on.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As an attacking unit poor. Same as last year defence very good. Until we get a midfielder that can break and a replacement for Murray we will struggle. Just dont understand 20m on another defender when our needs are elsewhere. Lets hope we have lots of set pieces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here