Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] All Change for Brighton 1980 - not seen this before

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I found it rather pompous. The image of Brighton being the bastion of propriety. The rage against new builds and the concept of Victorian utopia.

During the 1800s Brighton had a postcard look of dignity. But what they didn't show was the abject poverty of the working classes a few streets back. The immense suffering. A bloke called Edward Cressy produced a sanitation report on Brighton around 1847. It made such a damning read that it never reached most of the London toffs who thought the bathing waters were so full of healing propriety.

I think historic architecture should be preserved but the town has moved on. It's a centre of all types of culture. I much prefer it now although I miss some things.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Great party political broadcast on behalf of the anti carparkists.

So many towns since have lost their commercial town centres to the out-of-town superstores - Why, because there is somewhere to park a car out-of-town [and free].

If you don't accommodate the cars, you alienate the people - they will go elsewhere, as history has now taught us.

Loved the trip down memory lane - thanks.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was really interesting, the Brighton I was born into.

I'd forgotten that the West Pier was in pretty good condition when I was young. Was it the storm of 87 that started it's proper decay?

I have no recollection of that cool boat. When did that stop being a thing? Also, when was the Marina built? It's always been there during my life but it looked pretty new in the film. And why was it controversial?

I loved the line 'all Queen Anne Front and Mary-Ann back. Elegance on one side, vulgarity on the other.' That seems to have been Brighton's calling card for a long, long time.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Interesting forecast of getting the West Pier up and running again by 1983, and the council promising £300k AFTER someone else had forked up the money to get it going again. How times change. Shame they didn’t spend the money - it may have saved them a fortune on the iWhiteElephant.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Also, when was the Marina built? It's always been there during my life but it looked pretty new in the film. And why was it controversial?

70s if I remember. I recall filling in forms to prove local residency etc to get a 'Marina Pass' with photo et al where you entered via a football like turnstile towards the end of construction and have a look around this stunning new monolith.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It was remarkable, not good or better, how few Ethnic minorities were around in the 80s and 70s just white folks. Country is far, far more mixed today.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also, when was the Marina built? It's always been there during my life but it looked pretty new in the film. And why was it controversial?

I loved the line 'all Queen Anne Front and Mary-Ann back. Elegance on one side, vulgarity on the other.' That seems to have been Brighton's calling card for a long, long time.

70s if I remember. I recall filling in forms to prove local residency etc to get a 'Marina Pass' with photo et al where you entered via a football like turnstile towards the end of construction and have a look around this stunning new monolith.

It seemed to be going on during almost the whole of the 70s - it was opened by the Queen soon after we got promotion in 1979, but I suspect it was up and running before the 'official' opening. And then they started the Seajet, which got cancelled every time there was a slight puff of wind.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Dunno Brighton still seems incredibly white to me.

Have a look at that newsreel from the 70s. There is a good half hour of footage of a crowded beach, seafront and pier and (aside from the lack of traffic) the stand out observation is that there are absolutely NO black folk, Asians Chinese...none I agree that Brighton is relatively European compared to some boroughs but it’s incredible to see absolutely no one but whites.

Like I say, I’m not anti ethnic, it’s just an observation. Brighton is a far more vibrant and diverse city now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great party political broadcast on behalf of the anti carparkists.

So many towns since have lost their commercial town centres to the out-of-town superstores - Why, because there is somewhere to park a car out-of-town [and free].

If you don't accommodate the cars, you alienate the people - they will go elsewhere, as history has now taught us.

Loved the trip down memory lane - thanks.

The polar opposite is true of Brighton. Cars haven't been overtly accommodated, yet Brighton is doing better than most.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was remarkable, not good or better, how few Ethnic minorities were around in the 80s and 70s just white folks. Country is far, far more mixed today.

Brighton, for a large conurbation, was always unusual for that. Possibly because it hadn’t needed an influx of immigrants for key jobs and manufacturing, as Leicester, Bradford, Nottingham, Southampton had.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have a look at that newsreel from the 70s. There is a good half hour of footage of a crowded beach, seafront and pier and (aside from the lack of traffic) the stand out observation is that there are absolutely NO black folk, Asians Chinese...none I agree that Brighton is relatively European compared to some boroughs but it’s incredible to see absolutely no one but whites.

Like I say, I’m not anti ethnic, it’s just an observation. Brighton is a far more vibrant and diverse city now.

My recollection is the same. I went to school in Hove and had never met or spoken to anyone non-white until an Indian boy joined our school in the 6th form. If I hadn't got into uni and moved to London when I was 18....

Faversham now is a bit like Hove was then. Apart from the seasonal workers from Eastern Europe, I guess, albeit they are white (well, suntanned rather than pastey-faced like the rest of us). You meet some rum coves in the pubs - rabidly anti-foreigner. I get the feeling some of them are still afraid to try yoghurt, let alone curry. :shrug:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have no recollection of that cool boat. When did that stop being a thing? Also, when was the Marina built? It's always been there during my life but it looked pretty new in the film. And why was it controversial?

I went on the Hydrofoil to Dieppe. As I remember it was less than two hours (four from Newhaven). I caught the bus to the Marina and hopped on. It was great.

Living in Rottingdean and going to school in Hove we watched the marina being built early seventies. The caissons were built on site and carried along the arms on rails then dropped in, and then more rail put down.

I suppose it was controversial due to building on the wave cut platform.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I went on the Hydrofoil to Dieppe. As I remember it was less than two hours (four from Newhaven). I caught the bus to the Marina and hopped on. It was great.

Living in Rottingdean and going to school in Hove we watched the marina being built early seventies. The caissons were built on site and carried along the arms on rails then dropped in, and then more rail put down.

I suppose it was controversial due to building on the wave cut platform.

Do you remember the 'Marina Pass' ? So exciting to go and see giant lumps of concrete and a few boats. We all got them.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
My recollection is the same. I went to school in Hove and had never met or spoken to anyone non-white until an Indian boy joined our school in the 6th form. If I hadn't got into uni and moved to London when I was 18....

Faversham now is a bit like Hove was then. Apart from the seasonal workers from Eastern Europe, I guess, albeit they are white (well, suntanned rather than pastey-faced like the rest of us). You meet some rum coves in the pubs - rabidly anti-foreigner.
I get the feeling some of them are still afraid to try yoghurt, let alone curry. :shrug:

:lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do you remember the 'Marina Pass' ? So exciting to go and see giant lumps of concrete and a few boats. We all got them.

Yep, had one of them. If I remember correctly you could also pay to get in .... 20p seems to ring a bell ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here